G1 Season Three Episode: Call of the Primitives

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Omegax80, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    I am sure this was discussed before, but I need something to clear my head after this one.

So, Primacron was some shrimp scientist who created Unicron, and "a" Matrix was his assistant who parked on some asteroid to lure the "primitives" to band together to defeat Toritron (or something like that).

Does that sum it up enough?

I'm under the impression the accepted origin for Unicron is that he and Primus were two supreme beings who were locked in eternal combat. I thought (and I could be wrong) that Unicron and Primus were two beings who existed from the beginning of time.

Also, the animation was pretty awesome. Shame that company did not do more episodes.

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    you would be correct on the origin most fans choose to ignore the cartoon origin of Unicron. the Origin you stated as preferred and it generally is to the best of my knowledge, comes from the G1 Comics. not precisely sure which version of them however as my knowledge of them is quite underwhelming.

3. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    That episode was made before the Marvel comics established the Primus/Unicron thing.

4. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Marvel UK put out the origin of Unicron at the tail-end of 1987, although the cartoon covered an origin first, the poor distribution of the series in the UK meant many people experienced the comic origin first. Obviously there is no way to prove this, and it is largely my opinion based on fragile youthful recollection, there are probably thousands of TF fans who saw the cartoon origin first.

Furman went one better, because he came up with the origin for ALL Transformers, and introduced the concept of Primus.

Animation sure was nice, and a fun selection of characters, but Tornedron? Really. Someone made Unicron? I didn't buy it even as a kid.

5. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It wasn't that I didn't buy it as a kid, I just didn't GET it, at all. That's one of the only episodes I watched where I had no clue what I had just seen.

6. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

Its funny that I seen this thread cause this episode was on this morning on the HUB channel. I LOVE this episode myself and to me it don't matter how unicron or whatever is made done etc. I just love seein all the bots that I have in the cartoon form again.

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It's likely as I don't think season three aired at all on regular telly here in the UK. I know I only saw the episode on a VHS I got packed in along with colouring books or something. Of course things might've been different for other people here in Blighty.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Killamarshan

Killamarshan Iacon Tourist

Just another discrepancy between the comic and the cartoon. I tend to treat them as two different universes.

As an aside it's my favourite G1 show, superior animation and some great one liners from Sky Lynx. "Save your ammunition Autobots, superior forces are taking over".

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That was my reaction as a kid, as well. I rejected it completely. Especially not some stupid Space Monkey.

But now? I'm starting not to be so crazy about the comics' Primus/Unicron origin, either.

10. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    I tend to have a mix view about this. I'm not happy with how Unicron and Primus got depicted in the cartoon. Especially Primus being built as Primacron's assistant. Here's my take on it.

Primacron didn't really create his assistant or Unicron. He merely came across their matter, energy essence, beings, or whatever and encased them in robotic bodies.

Only good that episode done was the smooth animation and the dynamics of it.

11. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Has Primacron ever shown up in anything official since this episode and had an attempt to make him less of a lame space monkey Unicron creator?

12. The621

News Credits:
    Nope. Just still a lame five assed space monkey. And a really stupid engineer.

13. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Seems like a character that could really do with a modern image makeover. Or forgotten forever. One of the two.

Primacron for HoF? :p 

14. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Haha, I'd vote for him. Primacron or Carlos.

15. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    There's actually like a dozen separate G1 continuities and if you try to rectify them all you'll give yourself brain dramage.

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Now Imagine if Carnage in C-Minor had Call of Primitives animation....

17. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    When I'm in my more forgiving moments, I subscribe to this belief. When I'm not (pretty much most of the time), I dismiss Primacron and all associated garbage just like I dismiss the rest of the Sunbow Cartoon. Primus origin FTW.

Honestly, I don't think the animation is anything to shout about. It isn't all that exceptio...

... oh lord. D:

18. The621

News Credits:
    I tend to roast the cartoon a lot while watching it with friends and behave like an asshole. But I'll give it for what it is at the same time.

Like you, bro, I CAN'T and FIND IT MAD DIFFICULT to accept the fact that some five assed bitch monkey created Primus and Unicron. If things like the Matrix being encased in a Robotic Monkey that marginally resembled Primus with the eyes and the crown gimmick, and Unicron appearing on screen, I wouldn't accept it had they only mentioned it verbally.

It's definitely not modern age or a surprising. I personally only give about the consistency of Abominus. We finally know what his noggin looks like without the generic modeled Superion/Bruticus/Predaking/Computron helmet look. That's the only reason I about mark out to that episode, despite the discrepancies.

I find it odd and strange the manner and style used to carry out the episode didn't follow suit from the beginning to end.

Well, alright. I admit it. More Than Meets the Eye 1-3 had SOME of that... SOME!!! Not all...

Now try to imagine Call of The Primitives in Carnage in C-Minor animation! :D  Kidding! Don't do it.

19. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I sorta remember a feeling of "Seriously?" at the revelation that Unicron was created by monkey-boy. I didn't come across the Furman Primus & Unicron = gods business until nearly a decade later, so the basic idea of Unicron just being an unusually huge and powerful robot didn't seem out of line to me (as opposed to the "Unicron is the same Unicron in all universes" concepts of today). I just wonder what kind of resources Primacron had whenever he made Unicron. In COTP it sure didn't look like he had the means to make anything on a planetary scale. Or was it like Tornedron, and Monkeyman made a small Unicron that grew/evolved into what we saw in the movie with more and more to eat?

If you like your gods as gods, it's not too difficult to bash the cartoon and comic origins together, and say that Unicron/Primus influenced Primacron/Quintessons, using them as means to their goals.

20. The621

News Credits:
    Quints appeared in cartoon and comic, right? With Primacron being an exception, let's just say we follow both versions and merge em... Or something...

Here's the short not-kid friendly version merging Sunbow and Marvel. Primus and Unicron had an epic toilet story. Exhausted, they searched for hiding places. They found it in giant dirt balls. Primus self-budded and Mini-Primus went to meet lonely five-assed monkey. Five assed monkey needed a friend and made a robot body for Mini-P. Unicron's slow ass mud ball sought Primacron to be uber-Unicron. Five-assed monkey was still a lonely loser. So he believed Slow-cron's sob story about being in the friend zone. He helps Slow-Cron become uber-Cron and uber-Cron shat on five assed monkey, and Mini-P. Mini-P. budded again. The End... :lol 

The long version...

Theoretically... (After the epic toilet stor-err epic battle between Primus and Unicron)

Let's just say both deities were badly damaged and appeared before Primacron, with Primus being first to approach him. Before that, Primus split off some essence to send to Primacron's way. Primus headed for an organic world to recuperate and lay dormant in for the next war with Unicron. He knew was the trajectory of the Quintessons and let them construct their robot slaves so he'd influence them. They began the cyberforming process of that nameless planet, along with their experimentation on the native wildlife and inhabitants. And hell ensued tilled the Transformers came into the picture upon gaining conscious will and independent minds.

The main essence of Primus approached Primacron with the intent of being his "assistant"/obtaining a metal case body. Primacron did so and made the Matrix to carry his essence. Being the ambitious monkey he was, he made a body for the essence contained Matrix. And body building on the essence Primacron did...

Unicron did the same, except he appeared before Primacron, weakened, badly damaged and trapped in the metal world he was encased. Feeding Primacron's ego and ambition, he exploited Primacron to create/modify his current state. The assistant, being hesitant already because Primacron bought into Unicron's words, stood by. Unicron got his new body and then destroyed everything, leaving Primacron and the "assistant/essence/Matrix" alive. The Matrix split off the majority of its essence off to create the Oracle to chronicle the events. After that, the Matrix spiraled towards the completed world of Cybertron.