G1 Season 2

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Transmetal, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

Just cracked open the newly released G1 season 2 part 1 on dvd. I noticed all of a sudden there's all these new characters without any introduction. Is it assumed that all these new guys were built on earth?

2. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

Nope, only the Dinobots were built on Earth in the cartoon. The other characters could be considered reinforcements from Cybertron, or reformatted while in stasis on the Ark.

3. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    OH WOW (goes to open her Season 2 to check what's different)
    Will let ya know what I see. Thanks for the heads up!

4. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

I haven't seen Season 2 since I was a kid. That was the only season I never bought of the Rhino dvds. When I said new characters I meant guys who weren't in Season 1 (Perceptor, Dirge, Ramjet, Smokescreen, Red Alert among others) They just kinda showed up.

5. Brrjit

Brrjit Fembot in Disguise

Yeah, that's the strange thing about G1 - new characters have a habit of popping out of thin air.

6. ghowildseven

ghowildseven SG Decepticon

It was kind of explained in the old G1-related TF comics in that the Autobots (Blaster, Perceptor, Cosmos, Warpth...etc) came from the Decepticon space bridge when they intercepted a transmission by Soundwave to Straxus.

7. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    The G1 comics are an entirely different continuinty to the tv show.

8. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd just like to think they were always around... just never talked about. Also as well as the Dinobots I think most of the gasult teams got a back story.

9. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    It's hard to explain, but the toys provided a back story to the cartoon. They would come out, we'd buy them, and already be familiar with the character in the cartoon. Or vice-versa. You'd see the cartoon and want the latest toy because of the character. Also, the 80's never required back stories, it was what it was, and it was still awesome.

10. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah basically the whole 85 toyline appears from fresh air :lol 

Would have been cool to have an explanation in series, but after watching the G1 show again recently, continuity and accuracy really wasn`t on their radar.

There is an episode in Season 3 where the Autobots are in a hospital and Swindle is just standing there :lol 

11. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah it's sad they didn't explain. The movie bothers me more though.

12. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Hehe that's the beauty of G1 :p 

13. ghowildseven

Are you talking about the 86 movie or the Bayverse? I always find it weird that they jumped about 20 years into the future with the 86 movie for no valid reason whatsoever.

14. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

The show never gives you a good explanation for where the new cast comes from. If you don't want to use outside sources, you can just assume that the new characters either showed up in an offscreen adventure, or that they were always part of the cast and the show never focused on them.

The latter takes place all the time in TV shows, actually. For example, Chekhov wasn't in Season 1 of Star Trek and shows up in later episodes. And yet, when Khan meets Chekhov in Wrath of Khan, Khan and Chekhov knew each other. Clearly, Chekhov was part of the crew in season 1, just never onscreen. SHRUG.

If you want to investigate secondary sources and retcons, you can find some more after-the-fact origin stories. For example, a deleted scene from Beast Wars suggests that Thrust, Dirge, Ramjet, and possibly other Decepticons were onboard the Nemesis, which is revealed to be the ship Megatron discovers in the episode "Microbots." I'm sure there are more retcons like this, but this is all that comes to mind.

Edit: Also, the Decepticons had a functioning Space Bridge, and the Autobots had Omega Supreme. You could do worse than assume they just regularly used those to transport new cast members to Earth.

15. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Considering it wasn't that difficult to get back and forth from Cybertron after the events of the 1st season. (it was practically within walking distance during and shortly after the events of "The Ultimate Doom"), I always figured "They came from Cybertron" was the easy catch-all answer for any character that showed up without explanation.

Kinda funny seeing the "Dinobot Island" 2-parter now, where each character of most of the 1985 toy line gets some little bit of business to 'introduce' themselves. Oh well, still enjoyed it more than the occasional "line-up" splash panel from the comic where a new group of toy characters introduce themselves by name as well as their traits and abilities in chunks of stilted monologue. :) 

16. Vengeance1701

Vengeance1701 Well-Known Member

Yeah, in the cartoon they're just kinda 'assumed' into existence.

"Yeah, what do you mean you guys don't remember having the Aerialbots? Always been here, just...busy."

17. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I always postulated that they came to Earth via the spacebridge system.

18. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    this and Omega supreme for the Autobots

19. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

Uhmmm, the Aerialbots where built on Cybertron by I think Prime, Ratchet, Alpha Trion and a couple others in the G1 'toon. They didn't just "magically" appear like the others.

20. ghowildseven

I think that's right, they were built from old transport aircrafts on Cybertron. It's the Protectobots that popped out of no where in episodes.