G1 season 2 and the movie

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Ironhide29, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Ironhide29

Ironhide29 Banned

I am always confused what happened between season 2 amd the movie they dont show any episodes of any sort and i remember it finished at episode B.O.T and then after the movie FIVE FACES OF DARKNESS. If theres episodes after season 2 and the movie it would be appreciated and i would love to see it.

2. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There aren't any, except the released-in-Japan-only Scramble City. You can watch it on Youtube.

YouTube - Transformers Scramble City Part 1

It was also released (without any sound) on the 20th anniversary edition of the TFTM DVD.

3. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

There weren't any episodes that showed what happened between G1 season 2 and the movie.

Unless you count "Scramble City," which unfortunately it's in Japanese and has never been translated into English... but you can watch it on the 20th anniversary edition of the movie, however it has a commentary track on it.

4. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

It's like you need the 80's movie between 3-4.

5. Ironhide29

Ironhide29 Banned

and you dont see alot of autobots in it what happened to Ratchet, Brawn, Prowl, Cliffjumper, Bluestreak, Trailbreaker in that episode? they dont show them

6. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

No they dont.

Quite simple "Scramble City" was created for the Japanese audience to introduce them to some of the new characters.

They didnt get the 86 movie when the rest of us did.If I'm right they didnt get the film till the mid 90's or so.

So they went from season 2 to season 3 with out the film inbetween.

So Takara made "SC" and intended to make a few more but never did.

7. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

and then dreamwave came along with their g1 comic series

if dreamwave had actually done a somewhat better job at writing the g1 comic series into g1 animated continuity i actually think they could have seriously explored what all most likely would have happened between the end of season 2 g1 and the time of the 80's animated transformers movie

it has always been my personel theory that any ambitious fan here could with a bit of constructive imagination tie very nearly all of the dangling story line threads from the war with g1 and post season 2 g1 dreamwave continuities together to create a suitable prequel storyline to the 80's animated movie itself

in some small part at least the rough draft ground work so to speak was laid at the time

to bad dw went belly up before it could make good on the attempt.

8. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

It wasn't that Dreamwave's writing was the problem, as they did merge alot of the comic and cartoon continuity to form their own. The writer's of the on-going series I thought did a good job. It was Pat Lee that fucked everything up.

9. perceptor_mc

perceptor_mc Well-Known Member

That's not strictly true :) 

http://www.thetfcog.com/episodes/ScrambleCityFVR_Large.zip

Quite a proffesional fan dub I thought when I watched it and they spliced some scenes from the cartoon to make it make more sense :) 

10. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Takara, mind you, has spent like the last twenty-five years creating stories and mangas that fit between season 2 and the movie.

11. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

What are they like? Are they considered canon?

12. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    It's kind of disappointing that they go from B.O.T. to the '86 movie.

13. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

To the Takara audience....yes.

And many of Hasbro's fans have enjoyed it and accept them as canon.

But Hasbro itself does not.

14. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They are of wildly varying quality! They're canon to the Japanese timeline, but not to the American one. You've got the original G1 manga from 1985, which takes place in the late 80s, not long after the end of season 2, leading into the "Scramble City" cartoon. Then they basically didn't do anything else until the early 2000s, when toylines like "Robot Masters" and "Binaltech" (set in the early 2000s themselves) and manga like "The Stargate Battles" (set in the late 90s) started slotting themselves into the timeline. By some strange quirk, around the same time, it was retroactively established that "Robots in Disguise" (well, "Car Robots", more properly speaking) also takes place in Japanese G1 cartoon continuity at the turn of the millennium.

It's a bit imposing, but you can read an official timeline published by Takara in 2007 here that shows you how these various things (as well as all the later Japanese cartoon series and the spin-off media associated with them) fit in an around the G1 cartoon.

15. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    There's the text-only Binaltech backstory that starts out all right but keeps getting more and more absurd with time-travel, alternate realities and stuff.

There's the Robot Masters story (consisting of two-page mangas and short plotless CG-animated videos) that basically consists of multiple Convoys (G1 Optimus Prime, Beast Wars Optimus Primal, Lio Convoy, Star Saber who's technically not a "Convoy") meet up ca. 2004 via time travel and fighting various redecos of older toys.

And I'm sure there's a bunch of other stuff, too.

Oh, and apparently Car Robots, the Japanese version of Robots in Disguise, now takes place between G1 season 2 and the 1986 movie, too.

Note that none of those countless Japanese "between G1 season 2 and the 1996 movie" fiction things actually star many of the G1 season 1/2 cast or the movie cast. It's just "characters from the latest toyline having adventures on Earth in the early 2000s".

Although sometimes it's "characters from G1 seasons 1 & 2 in new bodies from the latest toyline".

16. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Ugh, that Japanese timeline is a very messy affair.

The American one though... I take it there is little or no canon to suggest the events that took place between the end of G1 season 2 in 1986 and the movie in 2005?

I know it's only 9 years out of a war that has lasted for millions, but something other than 'Daniel was born' would be nice!

17. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Very little indeed.

18. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Which is a crying shame really, because all we got in the episodic cartoon was plots along the lines of 'Megatron's evil scheme of the week', but when something truly meaningful with real drama and consequences happens, like the Decepticons overthrowing the Autobots and gaining control of Cybertron, it is glossed over completely.

Grrr! *shakes fist at nothing in particular*

19. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Fixed for accuracy, its been subtitled. A sub is just as much a translation as a dub.

I'd have loved to have seen the events leading up to the movie, especially the Decepticons taking Cybertron.

20. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

It's just that it's a pivotal moment in the G1 timeline and we don't get to see it. Instead we get them having a bath in some gold shit.