G1 Season 1 & 2 Vs. Season 3 Characters

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Optimus Convoy, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Optimus Convoy

Optimus Convoy Well-Known Member

Did any of you guys thought that the main characters for Season 3 like Ultra Magnus, Galvatron, Hot Rod, Kup, Arcee, Sky Lynx, Springer, Blurr, Cyclonus, Scourge, Metroplex, Trypticon and Wheelie was a good as some of the characters from season 1 and 2 not including Optimus Prime and Megatron?

2. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be honest I always prefered the cast from Season 1. Wasn't too keen on some of characters introduced in Season 2, characters such as Seaspray & Warpath had the most annoying voices ever and the entire show just seemed a bit more kiddie (or maybe I was just getting older?) but it picked up in Season 3... So although I prefere the Season 1 lot, Season 3's characters wern't bad either.

3. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Season 3 had better crafted characters, more depth, better characterisation etc. Honestly, we knew more about Kup from one episode than we did some poor nobody like Trailbreaker after 65 episodes (nothing against TB, I love him, but them's the facts).

Season 3 was able to achieve this by focusing more on a core group of characters that recurred in most if not all eps.

Having said that, most of the characters from season 1 were more iconic/better remembered etc.

4. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    ^^^^^
    Agreed.

5. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I don't know... there were quite a few characters from Seasons 1 and 2 that I would care less about. Seaspray, Warpath, Powerglide, Cosmos, Huffer, and Gears were all rather annoying. With the exception of those characters, I liked the cast in all seasons of G1.

6. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I actually much prefer the season 3 cast to the characters from seasons 1 and 2. Mostly for the reasons Magnus' Mate listed.

7. solitudinal

solitudinal /B/anned

News Credits:
    You mean the "glub glub glub" quality of Seaspray's voice and the "whaaam! baaaAAaaam!" of Warpath? :lol 

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    No. I hated the new characters as a kid. I've warmed up to them as an adult but I still think the season 1 & 2 characters were stronger overall. Now I'm talking MAIN characters, not 2nd or 3rd teir ones like Trailbreaker or Cosmos. In Season 3 Hot Rod/ Rodimus Prime had so much potential (no pun intended ugh) to be one of the deepest and meaningful characters in the entire G1 run but it was wasted. I really wish Season 4 would have happened and that they DIDN'T RESSURECT OPTIMUS PRIME.

9. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    This, though I've not warmed up to them as much as you may have.

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    When I picked up season three on DVD I struggled to enjoy it. Far too much space stuff and everyone could fly and the damn Quintessons took away a lot of the villain role the Decepticons once had.
    That said, I would've actually quite liked it if the Decepticons had continued to be downtrodden and became a bit more of a 'grey area' evil where their plans and attacks were driven by the need to survive, making the Autobots the oppressors by always defeating them.

I'm definitely a season one and two kinda guy though.

11. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Galvatron = sexy.

Totally insane version of Megatron. I can't say he was well written, just because how hard is it to write an insane bad guy leader who shoots everybody? But he was fun, you really got a sense of how powerful he was because nobody could take him down on their own.

Rodimus Prime = annoying, yet well written

Struggling to cope with the fact that you're not Optimus Prime, the fact you were forced in to your position before you were ready, all great points that were touched on. A severe lack of self-confidence was refreshing compared to the "I am Optimus Prime, I am pretty much the physical example of everything good in the Universe, now I'm going to stop you and you can't beat me because I am the icon of goodness."

And I loved the Technobots.

12. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

QFT!

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Cyclonus and Scourge were SO much better characters than Thundercracker and Skywarp. I loved those two. But I found most of the Autobots interchangeable.

14. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

I'm not sure there's much of a difference if you exclude the leaders. All the characters held to their core personality traits and were consistent. While we did learn more about them in season 3 and there were attempts at greater character depth with someone like Rodimus Prime, I'm not so sure it was all that successful or that much better than what was done in the first two seasons. There was definitely a more serialized approach in the 3rd season that the first 2 lacked which may have created the impression the characters were deeper than they really were.

My biggest gut impression of Season 3 is how death obsessed it was. With the 5 Faces of Darkness, the Optimus Prime zombie episode and others, the show was bleak. I watched it again about 4 years ago and I came away thinking that if I had been a parent in the 80's who had seen some of these episodes with my kids, I wouldn't let them see the show. It was disturbing for me as an adult. I know I watched it as a kid but, man, Transformers went to a dark place that season and I'm not sure it made it any better.

15. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I'll always like the original Season 1 characters the best, followed closely by most (but not all) of the Season 2 characters ala Omega, the triplechangers, Combaticons, etc. The Season 3 characters were a whole lot of 'meh' imo. I really liked Springer but that was mainly because he was essentially just a newer & younger version of Brawn.

I think I would have liked the characters more and Season 3 overall if Magnus was just a new right-hand guy & old friend of Prime's, Hot Rod stayed Hot Rod with no sign ever of Rodimus, Springer being the new tough guy on campus, Kup reserved as a grouchy yet wise old timer, Cyclonus & Scourge being lynchmen of Shockwave's and not having anything to do with Unicron, Galvatron either not existing at all or being a completely separate character/nemesis of Megatron, and the complete obliteration of Arcee, Unicron & the Quintessons from ever existing in the series. But that's just me.

16. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

Agreed.

17. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Season 3 characters were fine, if they had just been added, and not been put in place by a massive Genocide of Popular characters.

Seasons 1 and 2 were great! Some of season 2's characters (Seaspray you b!#ch), sucked, but honestly, I always liked Warpath's blowwww! BammmmM! It's effin hilarious. It's like he's got Tourette syndrome, (which is what I think the witer's were suggesting).

What if Optimus, Ironhide, Prowl, Wheeljack, Starscream, Warp and Cracker, had lived, Soundwave wasn't forgotten.... And Megs remembered he was Megatron and this was displayed? Starscream plotting to kill Galvatron, Warp and Cracker's beef with Screamer for dumping them, Prime and Magnus missions, Prime tutoring young Hot Rod, which COULD HAVE LEAD to him dying against Galvatron. The movie was a punch in the face, and for those who hadn't seen it, when season 3 came on, it was like "Who the F%^k are these Autobot's? Where is everyone?

18. Abdul Fakkadi

Abdul Fakkadi Member

Seasons 1 & 2 had some annoying characters.

The difference is that season 3 had some characters that I flat out hated with a passion. Every time Wheelie or Blur or some other character like that came on the screen I would come close to changing the channel. Those characters were silly and dumb.

19. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

I felt that Season 3 had more depth then Seasons 1 and 2 as well but its the first season of characters that is the most iconic. The thing about it all is the staying power of the whole show. It stayed true to what it was about even though it did some radical things here and there. Its amazing though that we talk about Season 3 characters more then the rest though.

20. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I can't say I'm a fan of any character who is defined by a speech impediment. (though I will make a possible exception for Grimlock and the rest of the Dinobots. :)  )