Minor/Repaint: G1 Scourge - Sweep custom

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by tfike110, Jul 10, 2012.

1. tfike110

tfike110 G1ToyCollector

Ebay:
    I had an extra G1 Scourge laying around and I decided to finally try a custom.
    Always hating how Scourge looked as a toy, I wanted to make the figure look more closely to the cartoon. So this is my attempt.

Please note this is my first custom, I worked on it with paint I had laying around. I'll be the first to say this is not perfect, (and could use some more work...esp where the paint is rubbing and already coming off from transforming)

Anyway, I think it came out pretty good. Here are some pics:

Attached Files:

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    That shell came out really clean. I think it looks a bit bland, though. I really enjoy the detailing on the face. Nice work!

3. Kenjo_Cybertron

Kenjo_Cybertron Stalk him, tear him apart

great first attempt!
    Before you know it you'll be hacking up figures all over the show.....

On the paint rub side I find sanding those areas down and then if you have to re-paint over that area its better than having paint flake off.

He does look a little on the bland side but that will come with you getting more experience, and probably different paint brushes etc too. If you do another custom or even if you go back to this then I would say try to bring out some details that are already in the figure by using different shades of paint. (eg highlighting raised edges)

Anyways nice job

4. tfike110

tfike110 G1ToyCollector

Ebay:
    Thanks for you comments SQ. The detail on the face was a must do, def adds some distinct features to the figure.
    I do agree about the shell, a little bland. Scourge kind of looks like a flying egg now. So perhaps I'll try to add some more details to liven him up.

Thanks for the great comments Kenjo! This was my first attempt at painting any TF figs, and was a great learning experience. I'll try the sanding advice soon. Hopefully no more flaking in the future.

And I already started on my next group of customs, (however no painting required) as I began hacking apart a bunch of G1 seekers in order to create new figs for custom G1 seeker army. You can see them here.

5. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Yeah! If you're already painting him, mask of some of those areas where the blue labels would go and paint those blue. I don't think you'd be sorry at all that you did. Thanks again so much for sharing your work here :thumb 

6. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    I kinda like it white like that.

Although, what you could indeed do, is to use a bit of skyblue wash to bring out the panel lines.

7. tfike110

tfike110 G1ToyCollector

Ebay:
    I am unfamiliar with "skyblue wash", what is that?

8. Kenjo_Cybertron

Kenjo_Cybertron Stalk him, tear him apart

a wash is a different type of paint that is thinner and more transparent so will give a different effect than just solid colour

9. Superquad7

News Credits:
    A "wash" is almost what it sounds like. It's any color/kind of paint that is thinned down (acrylics = water/Future, enamels = thinner) and applied as if to wash the object coated with the excess removed (hence the name "wash). This can either be done by wiping off the excess of letting it run off. If weathering, letting it run off of the piece can add to the effect, since gravity and shape have a lot to do with weathering. Typically, artists just wipe off the excess.