Minor/Repaint: G1 Scourge into Alpha-Trion

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Tampalicious, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

Ok, I had this idea for years , finally got around to it. This is not the first time I have painted a TF for example I painted G2 Sideswipe red years ago.
    But this will be the first time I have taken one apart , attempt to paint, and then reassemble, so I'm pretty excited.
    I read the sticky on what paints to use.
    So Im off to Michaels, hoping they have what I need.

I'm thinkin G1 Galvatron dark purple for his "cape" , with silver tips
    Possibly G1 Rodimus/Metroplex's "ears" for his chest (not sure i have to look at the screenshots) and the little piece that becomes the back end "bumper" when in vehicle mode
    A lighter purple for legs, etc etc. I do not think the colors will match exactly to the show, but I do think its important (for me) that Alpha-Trion has a little of that "Autobot dark red" i mentioned...........We'll see..........

Wish me luck. I've got him gutted down to the arms and head on the metal bar, thats all i could do without fear of breaking. (I made good notes so i can put him back) I will post pics once I have finished ......

A bit worried about painting the eyes blue, and i am waaay too scared to paint his beard and stash white............

we'll see on that part........

I'm trying to figure out how to make a little crest for his helmet, it could fit it that hole on the top of the head. I will worry about that if the piece comes out as envisioned

(I decided to roll with G1 Scourge instead of painting a Vector Prime because I am a G1 freak first and foremost. I feel the size will look better when displayed next to G1 Prime, Silverbolt, etc. Plus I swear they have the same damn look to them anyway............)

Attached Files:

2. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    This is a GREAT concept, Scourge have the facial-hair and the Wing-cape thing going, you're really onto something here! If Hasbro had been as repaint-happy back in the day, I bet this is something they might have done on the third-pass (I figure deco #2 would have been a slightly-different hued "Sweep Drone")

Don't be scared, it's actually not that hard to get pretty good results, the REAL key is to take your time, and let the paint dry when it wants to, and not skip to next step in excitement.

Sounds like you've done your homework though, so I bet this will come out GREAT!

D/L

3. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    Son of a gun, that IS a good idea!

4. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

Come to think of it, Scourge looks crazy a lot like Alpha Trion.

And to concur with DestrongerLupus, I was less than patient today and had to start over on something.... =(

5. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    yupp
    thats a might good idea u have there

i'll keep an eye

6. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    yeah, very clever!

7. coinilius

coinilius Well-Known Member

This is one of those ideas that I'm surprised hasn't been done more often.. or even at all, come to think of it. It is such an obvious repaint, and should look great - I hope it all turns out how you want it *thumbs up*

And personally, I was never a fan of the Vector Prime into Alpha Trion idea - the Vector Prime mold always looked too much like a warrior, IMO.

8. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

It's been done, although for the life of me I can't find any pictures. I used to have pictures, but I think it was on my other computer that crashed. It was on display at OTFCC 2002 or 2003 (can't recall exactly) and used to be able to find pictures of it on Seibertron.com, but not anymore I guess.

I look forward to seeing your take on it.

9. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I love retro repaints like this, and wish Hasbro would look into it for stuff like convention exclusives, or online specials.

I've always thought G1 Blurr would make a good Devcon.

10. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

Couldn't have typed it better myself. Patience is god in this world of ours. And when I saw this post iwas like "Well DUUUUH" Of course that's a great idea and why the hell didn't I see it after 26 years!?!?

11. Tampalicious

lol, yea it is very obvious, thats why i was thinking "dang, Hasbro dudes that created him must have been lookin at a Scourge prototype or whatnot".

and i have always wanted a Devcon as well........... you could probably use Skids weapons for him

anyway, here he is:

I think I did a pretty good job considering I dont do this often. Now I would like to figure out his crest somehow.....

That gun is from Classics Bluestreak, I guess you could say its a welder, or maybe the old guy is packin some heat after all.....

I found that Matrix on ebay a few years ago, it came in a baggie that had Powermaster Prime on it and it fits in G1 Prime perfectly

I need to order an insignia for him, maybe a few stickers if they look nice

Not sure if i want to make the little "side intake things" in hovercraft mode silver or something....probably will leave it

He is a little tight during transformation, but I made him for looks anyway. The good old days of huge campaigns in my room are long gone, thankfully haha. I just like to have a few on the shelves these days, eye candy I guess.....

That said, he does transform............

Thank you all very much for your encouragement and advice, I really appreciate it

Attached Files:

12. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Botcon 1987 LOL

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This looks GREAT from what I can tell. Please provide some better photos! :) 

14. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

That looks great dude and absolutely deserves some better and much more pics!

15. coinilius

coinilius Well-Known Member

He looks really good - too bad you didn't have a target master Scourge, could have converted Fracas into a vintage Beta Maxx! I know, I said I wasn't fond of the Vector Prime/Alpha Trion repaint idea, but it would be too good an oppurtunity - and it save having to make up a name lol (Also, that particular Alpha Trion looking more warrior like than ancient scientist was neatly sidestepped by the revealation of what universe he was actually from).

Again, great looking execution of an idea that has never been done as much as it should be - if you're looking to do a Devcon as well Blurr would make a good base IMO.

Now if only someone would do the Hearts of Steel Scourge...

16. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    It's a custom. All one would have to do to make this a Targetmaster is to make the holes in the hands wider with a rotary tool, and get a TM gun for him (which could be any gun of the artist's choosing). With some of the TM bots having been reissued, tracking down an extra gun wouldn't be that difficult either.

17. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Cool idea. Look foward to seeing how this turns out for you.

18. Tampalicious

[​IMG]

Hey, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but my Alpha-Trion fig had a little added to him. I gave him a Autobot insignia from Encore Ironhide, custom cut the little silver stickers on his wrists, gave him KO Scourge's "belt" and leg stickers, and put a rubsign on his left wing where the square is.

There's a couple spots I need to touch up, like his left shoulder showing a spot of blue, etc.

I really don't ever remember AT ever using a weapon, I could be wrong, maybe when he was A3? But if I were to arm him, he would use RTS Cyclonus' Targetmaster gun, all silver and awesome. But like I said, did this guy ever raise a pistol even? He had a chromed Vector Prime sword for awhile but it didnt feel balanced to me. Plus Ive never seen G1 AT use a sword either.....

(If anyone can confirm any of that go ahead please)

The main thing is this: I need to get this guy his "helmet crest". I have it in my head, a couple different ideas. I will sketch them out. I'm lookin for someone who would be willing to maybe cast that crest for me, I really think my idea will work, its basically just like Scourge head missile, so I just need someone to make the "top part" of AT's head with the crest in front, and voila! Right now he's rockin that JFK look......

The second idea is the same as the first but with a more custom face piece as well, that would be more difficult I imagine, so I would be happy with a nice custom dome-piece.

What say you?

19. mikeflosi

mikeflosi Well-Known Member

nice... I'll be watching this one.

20. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    As for the headcrest, I don't know about casting, but I could maybe design it in CAD to print out on Shapeways. I'd just need to see design sketches and know what size to make it.