G1: Rub symbol or not?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by FreshDebesh, Jan 29, 2010.

1. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I've scaled down my collecting quite a bit over the past couple of years. Lately, I've just been focusing on picking up quality vintage G1 pieces from the first couple of years. It all started with Mirage, and now I have a few examples of prerub and rub symbol Mirage. It later spread to some of my other favorite characters like Bluestreak, Prime and Smokescreen. However, one thing I've noticed is that I have an affinity to prerub G1 figures. I think for me, in my mind, I associate a prerub TF being closer to its Diaclone/Microman counterpart versus the rub symbol version. I guess this equates to the prerub figures having few running changes, or modifications, if you will. In many instances, many early prerub figures are Diaclone/Microman repacks So lately, I've hunted down prerub Mirage, Bluestreak and Optimus Prime. However, I wanted vintage versions of Smokescreen and Tracks and those obviously don't come in prerub form.

Do you have any preference to prerub or rub symbol? Please do share!

2. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    All I know is when I was a kid I didn't care for the rub symbols, and usually peeled them off the toys. (I don't do that with reissues today, but I do sometimes move them somewhere out of the way.)

3. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I never had Transformers with rubsymbols.

4. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:

Splitting hairs perhaps, but i've seen at least one MISB Kickback with no rubsign, and a MISB Red Alert with no rubsign either.

5. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Folks:

I like rubsigns. Thermochromic liquid crystals are cool, like other things that change in seemingly magic ways. :D 

If I could find a large (non-functional) rubsign, I'd stick one on my car. Non-fans wouldn't have a clue what it was. :D 

6. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

Always loved the rub signs. I didn't have too many as a kid that didn't have them. I only remember my Soundwave was pre-rub though I'm sure there was another. Rub symbols were introduced pretty quickly. Always thought it was a cool gimmick and it was fun to see them return in the classics line. I had even bought some of the replicas from reprolabels to stick on some of the Henkei. They just fill me nostalgic warm feelings. ;) 

7. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Hated to rub signs as a kid. I would take them off as soon as the box was opened. I still dislike them now and I removed them from all my reissues too.

8. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I love me some rubsigns, even as a kid. I would always get unreasonably excited when I would return to the sun-baked family car to see the bright rubsign on the Transformer I had left in the backseat. And yes, I bought the whole "your toy has this color-change sticker so it's OMG OFFICIAL!" marketing schmuck hook, line and sinker. I've got a couple pre-rub pieces, but they're mostly MIB toys for collector cred. In the end I think the rubsigns are a big part of the classic Transformers mystique and I was really happy to see them incorporated into the first line of Classics.

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    What's your technique? I'm planning on doing the same thing but I don't want to bend them up. I was thinking of taking a hair dryer to the rubsign until the adhesive was warm enough to slide off, and replacing the symbol with a proper faction brand.

Then I can be cool like Debesh and have prerub Wheeljack, Mirage and Sunstreaker at least.

10. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I actually prefer my G1's to have rub symbols. I only have a few that I have bought from stores in my area, And I would rather have the rub symbol, if it still works and hasn't been exposed to heat for a prolonged period. The rub symbol reminds me of my childhood. :) 

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    You know what Reprolabels should do? Little rubsigns for Micromasters.

12. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    This! once again i agree with the nature boy, but it would not get on my nevers to have one with out a rub symbol

13. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    I like the Pre-rub, mostly for the same reasons as Fresh - there's something jut cool about having those original pre-tranfsormer repacks. Plus, some of those figures are of a slightly different mold that was changed for possible reasons like manufacturing cost, safety, durability, etc., making them harder (READ: more fun) to hunt down.

14. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm a "down with rubsigns" person. I try to get all pre-rub if I can. About 75% I have are pre-rub now (those that can be that is). I also go for the earliest variants, if though a lot of times that means lower quality (like seekers for instance saw a lot of changes that improved them, like nech washers, longer pegs, etc). My best one is a blank copyright thundercracker with the marks on the wing tips where they were cut and sanded from the diaclone molds, I find it priceless.

15. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

You'd be cooler than me cause my Wheeljack and Sunstreaker are rub symbol ones. Right now I'm working on getting a prerub Jazz. I wish the one I bought as a kid in the Singapore airport in '88 was still mint. :(  Haha, I remember having to pick between the non TM Cyclonus and Jazz and went with Jazz because I figured I could still find at TM Cyclonus in 88. What's funny is I didn't mind the rub symbols back in the day. I bought some of those KO Dinobots with the jagged edges back in 85, so I can see why Hasbro started using them.

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I like rubsigns. Hasbro should do a new rubsign gimmick crossed with those tech spec meters that were in Headmasters' chests. Doesn't need to be a Headmaster or have that reel mechanism but just open a hatch on the chest and press your thumb on the rubsign under it to reveal the figure's stats. You'd not know how powerful your figure was until you opened it and warmed up the hidden rubsign. Just adds some more fun and kids could play a stats battle game with their figures too.

17. DeeJay

DeeJay Bluestreak Brony

News Credits:
    Top Trumps: Transformers!

18. AMG

AMG Old School

I remember when rub symbols were first advertised on TV back when I was a kid, I thought they were the coolest thing. But as an adult collector, I really don't have any preference. I can see the appeal of owning pre-rub bots for some collectors though, as they're the earlier production runs of some TFs.

19. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

Question: Do the rubsign haters in this thread also prefer the post-rubsign variants of later waves?