g1 rose tinted glasses

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by talkin jibberish, May 21, 2007.

1. talkin jibberish

talkin jibberish Well-Known Member

hi people,

been a bit of a lurker on the boards for a while now, enjoying watching some of the discussions. Now i dont know if something similar to this has been posted before but here goes,

I am and always will be a transformers fan, im 32 and was bang into transformers whenthe first came out in the uk, i had the lot, the toys, the comics even the flip open watch! when i 9/10/11 i lived and breathed transformers catching any possible glimpse i could of them (and those where few and far between on uk tv in those days!), i tried following transformers in the following years and in the various different lines and shows but was never ever taken by tranformers energon, beast wars etc.

i now have a four year old son who i have trained to love transformers (beleive me this is hard when there is virtually no transformers on uk tv (still) and power rangers ninja turtles and yu-gi-oh are rammed down thier throats (by the way, all toys of this sort are banned from the house!). i daily record transformers cybertron at 7am to watch with him when he comes in from nursery (kindergarten)
    and i must say whether or not it is something i enjoy doing with my son, i truly love the show, i love the animation and i think the messages it portrays (while almost becoming patronising at times) to children is an absolutely superb one.
    i truly wish the g1 cartoons and the movie had been animated in this way, which of course i know was not possible back then.
    so after getting into this with my sonn i decided to revist g1, so ibought the movie and the tin with all the cartoon episodes in. I sat down to watch it with my son, and while he was quite taken, i couldnt beleive what i was seeing....did i really think this cartoon was the dogs bolloxs...di i really devote 3 years of my life to this poorly animated full of gliches cartoon? i had to yes..and i enjoyed it, but couldnt help thinking about cybertron.

so then comes the time when im buying toys for 'my son' (yeah right!) ive now bought all the legends class figures which i thought would be a good way to introduce them, and then moved onto the larger toys and the articulation and quality of the toys are amazing, i love that the transform in your hand exactly the way they do on the show. My afvorite of the lot has to cybertron defense red alert...he just looks like the best transformer ever, the posabilty factor of the figure is awesome. so while i play with his toys my son worships my masterpiece magnus and op from afar!! so when i read some of the threads i just think there may be too much of a rose tint in peoples eyes when they clash on about g1 being the best (the best in that it was the first and it broke the transformers brand!)

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    You're right, animation and toys have gotten a LOT better since G1. But compare the show or the toys to what else was available in the 80s, Transformers are way cooler without a contest.

3. talkin jibberish

definately better than everything there was at the time, but i was guilty of looking back with those rose tinted specs!

4. Toonces

Toonces Domo

Ebay:
    This discussion probably doesn't belong in the Toyark, but I guess the mods will just move it.

Do I see G1 through "rose colored glasses"? Of course. It's full of nostalga from a time in my life long gone. I do not however let that get in the way of being objective about the show. The origional cartoon had a ton of problems that I won't bother going over again, but it's a piece of my childhood that I like to hold on to. I tried to get into the other shows, but they just wouldn't work, I was too old for them.

The toys are another story. I don't have them to play with, just for display, so I couldn't care less about the articulation. Considering when they were designed, they are actually not too bad. They are so much better today it's amazing.

5. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

While I agree that most things now-a-days are better (animation, toy posability etc.) There were two important things the originals had better than today.

The lesser of the two: Realistic alt modes. (except for alternators, nothing compares to '84 and '85

The most important thing...Superb voice acting and characters. Back in G1 the characters were more iconic than now. With just a few lines we had a great sense of who each character was. Grapple, Hoist, Ironhide, Bumblebee, Prowl, Wheeljack....all of them. Any one of us could tell you descriptions of these characters. Half of current characters are forgetable.

What can you tell us about Armada Jetfire? Cybertron Landmine? Eneregon Rodimus? RID Prowl? No distinguishing peronality. And yet the casts of these shows was much smaller.

6. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    *Puts on rose colored glasses*

*Watches G1 cartoon and plays with G1 Prime*

*Is ecstatically happy*

7. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't have tinted glasses (was too old for TV cartoon and toys when G1 came out), but I like some of G1 toys. Wish they weren't that expensive (Encore series aren't too bad, I'm getting Prime and Megs :) )

As for my kids, my older one is a big fan of TFs, he loves G1 and has some reissues even, but my younger one isn't really into it. He's a huge Star Wars fan even though I treat them no different. They do have their own minds :) 

8. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I love comics and toys, but I dont like the majority of the cartoons. To me, G1 and Cybertron cartoons are equally bad. But for the toys... yes, I used to have rose-tinted glasses for G1, thinking they were "way superior to beasts." But then I bought some RiD toys and smashed the glasses to pieces, realizing toys are cooler when they have knees and dont cost $40 for a 4 inch figure. I still like some of the G1 toys for nostalgia, and a few of them I even think are well designed (shockwave hell yeah), but new toys are better overall

9. talkin jibberish

stars wars is ok in my book but i seriously draw the line at power rangers and turtles....everyone is told at birthdays and chrstmas....they go in the bin!!!!!!!!!

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    im one of those cool guys who wear rose tinted glasses at night.

yeah, TFs are hella cool, welcome aboard.

11. Magelite

Magelite I make stupid look good

What do you have against PR and turtles *speaks as someone who grew up with every megazord through zeo to Lost Galaxy, so is kinda biased*?

12. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :lol  But really, if your son truly loves Transformers he'll always be back. Same with my older kid, he gets into Turtles and even occasionaliy Yu-Gi-Oh, but it only lasts a few days. Nothing gets played repeatedly like his TFs.