G1 robot forms

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Macross79, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Macross79

Macross79 Well-Known Member

I always wondered, especially in G1, before the Transformers crashed on Earth , they had different alt-modes on Cybertron. But they had the same robot forms they had on Earth, shouldn't they have like some sort of Cybertronian robot form? Arcee, Blurr, Kup all had Cybertronian robot forms, couldn't the rest of them be the same? And they could have scanned for more realistic Earth robot forms

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dropkick

Dropkick Worse aim than Misfire.

Google+:
    YouTube:
    Wheeljack and Bumblebee showed off their G1 Cybertronian alt-modes in the first episode, along with the seekers (Weird space jets), Soundwave (lamp post / Radio tower) and Shockwave (Obvious). Don't know if the others showed off their Cybertronian Alt modes though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Also remember, by the time Arcee, Blurr, and Kup got to earth it was 2005 and thus cars probably looked a bit different than 1984. Remember how futuristic cards from 12 years ago looked?!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Macross79

Macross79 Well-Known Member

Yeah but I am not talking about their alt-modes, I am referring to their robot modes

On Cybertron before leaving for their search mission
    [​IMG]

5. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, you'd think. But they didn't. It's a big part of why "The War Within" was such a huge noise when it was released - Cybertronian robot modes for the first time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

Chalk it up to either a mistake or a cost-saving measure in order not to have to design a whole bunch of different robot forms for a few minutes of footage.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was probably also to not confuse kids that they were the same guys once they got to Earth. They didn't want some kid to go 'I really liked that yellow guy in the beginning. Where did he go? There is some other yellow guy now' Kids were smart enough but doesn't mean the execs thought so.

Its not even just G1. Armada and Animated also did it. They altered the robot from a tiny bit but they are still pretty much the same.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    That's not really the same thing at all then, is it? If they altered the models, that's more than G1 did. Which was nothing.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

What gives you the idea that ,Arcee, Blurr and Kup had Cybertronian robot forms?

Keep in mind that The vehicle form of those characters were not designed, at the time, to be cybertronian in origin

10. Altered Prime

Are you saying he's robot mode so don't look alien ?I don't get your question

Let me see if I can get what you're asking we did see a few so I would show me in vehicle molds in the first episode and likewise when they transformed they still look like what they did when they came to earth

And if that's what you're talking about it's actually a pretty simple answer and that's just that
    a)it would've cost quite a bit a effort and money to create animation models for characters that we were done at sea in that get up again after they reach earth so the work would've only been good for a few minutes of footage

b) remember the cartoon was basically a toy commercial and having too many other choice featured in ways that the toy them could not replicate might've been seen as false advertising

11. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I did say they altered the robot modes a tiny bit.
    uUnless their cybertron mode was almost the same as their earth mode, their robot modes should have had a lot more differences.

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Commence wild reaching:

Perhaps the robot modes WERE the actual constant. While they may have turned into different vehicular forms on Cybertron, once they got to Earth, the Ark computer was forced to find vehicle forms that conformed closely to each Transformer's robot mode. It might be an explanation for the unusual/rare/standout vehicle forms. Perhaps the Ark was low on energy/resources after the crash and couldn't do a more extensive rebuild of the 'bots, so it made do with the best matches it could find. In other words, Jazz didn't have a Porsche racing car front on his chest - the Ark picked a car that shared as many details with Jazz's robot form as it could find.

(except for Laserbeak, which went a different way :)  )

• Like Like x 8
  13. Altered Prime

I like it and in a way it kind a correlates with issues from the Marvel comic

If you don't recall from the comics, when shockwave arrived on earth after the initial crash,the autobots ship computer revive grimlocks team to deal with the threat, but seeing as the computer was damaged and low on energy it could not decipher that the biological lifeforms in the savage when we're not mechanical so it configured grimlock and the others into robotic dinosaurs

14. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Doesnt nesseciate it. The changes Teletraan brought to them, were made with the mindset that the altform accomodates their already existing capabilities and designs. Taking their robot form into account is not stretching it.

15. Mirimus

Mirimus Well-Known Member

I was always fascinated by this. Clearly, Laserbeak was some form of 'bird', just not Earthican-based ...yet the Ark felt it necessary to modify him into one. Why? Or better yet, why did the show's creators make him look different on Cybertron? Also...why the hell couldn't we have seen what Ravage looked like on Cybertron?

16. Altered Prime

Simple answer disguise
    The idea was so that he can hide amongst Earth Birds although it's quite possible the computer was damaged and didn't realize that it would not look like a flesh covered bird
    that one is easier to answer
    There's no logical reason and Earth looking bird would have been on Cybertron at that time
    Also an easy answer breaks down to money
    They just didn't have the money to pay out to have all the characters redesigned just for a few minutes of animation

17. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Another possibility for Laserbeak was the bird mode was adapted for operation in Earth's atmosphere, which may have been different enough from Cybertron (or 4-million-years-past Cybertron) to affect flight characteristics. A large bird might have been the template as it was the only flying thing the Sky Spy could find of roughly matching size. (other options of the period being short-range missiles or model aircraft)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Altered Prime

I could see most of that
    And with most of that in mind if it were in modern times maybe Sky spy maybe would have scanned a common drone for lazerbeak

The only issue I take with your Idea above is the size issue
    With so many characters shrinking when they transform, including laserbeak, i don't see size being a problem

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hi! Got anything to back this up, or is this just personal opinion? (Not a dig, just curious.) I think it's very ambiguous as to whether Hot Rod and co are supposed to represent Cybertronian vehicles or future-Earth vehicles.

I've not seen the cartoon pilot in a while, but don't we see Laserbeak transform? IIRC he turns from an alien bird-thing into a cassette!

Head canon: around 1930-ish a buccaneering explorer is potholing aroung Mount St Hilary and discovers the dormant Transformers. He then becomes a freelance designer for Porsche, Nissan, Walther etc, and incorporates the Transformers' features into his designs.

• Like Like x 1
  20. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think we're pretty lucky that Sunbow cared enough to give them non-Earth modes while they were on Cybertron in the intro. A lot of 80s cartoons wouldn't have even bothered with that.

• Like Like x 1