G1 Roadbuster and G1-ify-ing Bulkhead

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Quixote_Prime, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    Thinking about G1, especially IDW G1 Roadbuster. What do you think?

1. Does the IDW Roadbuster seem a bit Bulkhead-y to you? He may have a family resemblance ...

2. Is the influence the other way around? Is the TF:A character a de-militarized version of RB?

3. Could Bulkhead survive being placed in G1 continuity? Lockdown did. Outside of the pack-in comic for the BiS Rod/Cyclonus, Lugnut hasn't really appeared in G1 (afaik). He doesn't seem to really be a Wrecker. Or is he?

2. Sentinel Prime1

Sentinel Prime1 Active Member

I think there are some similarities. Build being one, although even Bulkhead isn't the beefcake Roadbuster is. While their personalities share some similarities, Roadbuster is a Wrecker through and through and it seems Bulkhead doesn't have the same lust for mayhem. Since you already have Roadbuster and on the smaller side of things, Brawn, I am not sure what Bulkhead would add to G1. I don't see a spot for him on the Wreckers with Roadbuster already there.

3. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Banned

News Credits:
    Bulkhead already is a Wrecker in TFP.

4. Sentinel Prime1

I understood him to mean G1 as the IDW comic verse as he referenced it. DW and now IDW bill their main ongoing as G1.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Everybody and their grandma is a Wrecker nowadays.

6. Crumplezone

Crumplezone Banned

Blukhead more of a friendly strong guy. Roadbuster is more 80's Arnold Schwarzenegger.

7. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    Yes. It's sort of a diluted group.

8. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    Being a machinegunner, I always saw him as more of an Animal Mother from "Full Metal Jacket" or Blain/Jesse Ventura from "Predator".

9. Ironhidebot

Ironhidebot Wrecker

what would define being a wrecker in tfp?

10. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Being explicitly mentioned as one in the show.

11. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Sort of, yeah.

The thing to remember about Roadbuster is that he isn't really supposed to be the "brick" kind of character. He's strong, but not exceedingly. He's not on the same level as the Dinobots, Bonecrusher, Long Haul, Brawn, etc... he's tied with Gears and Soundwave, if you wanted to compare.

I think Roadbuster is more supposed to be the "all around warrior" type. His bio talks about how he's a dynamic, charismatic presence on the battlefield... but during downtime he becomes quiet and withdrawn. In that sense, I don't see a lot of resemblance to Bulkhead, apart from the military alt-mode.

As for transporting Bulkhead into G1... I don't see why not. His character concept doesn't really step on anybody else's too much. The only guys I can think of who might have similar personalities would be Trailbreaker (but with a sharper sense of humour) or maybe Sludge (Bulkhead is probably smarter than that at least, being an engineer).

I find Prime Bulkhead to be disappointingly dull. He's a bit too much of a generic "big tough guy", while Animated Bulkhead had a bit more personality. But other than that, I think Prime Bulkhead is a decent model for a G1-style version.

Though, between Hound, Brawn and Rollbar, I think he needs a new deco. :) 

zmog

12. Sentinel Prime1

That might have been the Marvel G1 take but clearly IDW's G1 take on the character is different. Not sure whether you have read All Hail Megatron, the Bumblebee mini or the Drift Spotlight. If you think Bulkhead is a "big tough guy", you ought to see the current G1 Roadbuster. Here is a link to a scene from All Hail Megatron #5. I am digging this Roadbuster. He is the one in the back. :)  I have no problem with characters being re-imagined, especially in a setting like Transformers. He is still a super soldier but in a brute force, big gun blazing sort of way. Considering how talented and deadly the rest of the Wreckers were written to their own talents in All Hail Megatron, he is still rather an equal in an a para-military A-team type unit. Without some creative freedom, if a writer wanted a character like him in IDW, they would have to create one more among a growing list of thousands with some other similar name like Bulkhead, Roadbuster, etc, that has a brick feel to it.

dcjosh's deviantART gallery