G1 Restoration question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tarma, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Tarma

Tarma Metal Slug

I've recently aquired a few loose G1 figures that need cleaning up. Can anyone recommend any particular cleaning agents, or has any cleaning tips for the plastic and die-cast parts?

Is it possible to clean areas that have been discoloured by dirt or smoke with a particular soap or chemical?

Any help or advice is much appreciated!

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    depends on the plastic types, if the plastic is painted, and if the metal is painted.

3. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

For general cleaning of surface areas, I use Novus Plastic Polish #1 to remove dirt and dust/lint. I sometimes polish glossed areas with Novus Plastic Polish #2.

When I remove stickers to have them re-stickered w/ Reprolabels etc., I use Goo Gone. (You don't want to use too much Goo Gone nor do you want it to be exposed to your plastic too long. If I'm removing all stickers with Goo Gone, I'll completely disassemble the figure then thoroughly wash the plastic parts with regular soap and water and reassemble.)

If plastic is discolored due to oxidation/yellowing that is a chemical change in the plastic. You can't "wash" that yellow color off with soap & water. You can try restoring the plastic by using the Hydrogen Peroxide method. (Do a search on "yellowing" in the forums).

4. Tarma

Tarma Metal Slug

Thanks for the replies! :) 

The areas affected are diecast painted and moulded white plastic (not painted plastic).

Looks like it might be cigar smoke that has discoloured certain parts of the body... I'll try the forum search on "yellowing"

5. KremzeekTyCobb

KremzeekTyCobb Well-Known Member

I was just going to ask about this exact same topic! Thanks!