G1 Reissues

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SoundBlaster7, Mar 29, 2011.

1. SoundBlaster7

SoundBlaster7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Question for G1 collectors. Are reissues as satisfying as the originals?
    I'm curious to hear your experiences and opinions, 'cause I wanna start collecting G1 figures, but I don't like the idea of paying double for a loose 80s toy that I can get a reissue of, MISB half priced or same price.

2. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    To me they're one in the same. Once you get over some of the alterations made (Soundwave's chest, Prime's stacks), I still see them as the originals.

I think I'm in the minority, though.

3. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

I prefer reissues. They're pretty much just like the original toys (except for a concession here or there for modern safety laws, for the U.S. ones), except they're newer. And (if opened) usually handled by a collector rather than a kid.

I'd much prefer to have a newer, better condition toy than an old and beat one. Though I don't collect for value, only personal satisfaction, so having less valuable versions doesn't bother me.

4. Dark Hayabusa

Dark Hayabusa Well-Known Member

Alterations aside (short smoke stacks= sad panda) it's a good and affordable to get TFs I lost or always wanted as a kid.

5. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    reissues are great and often a bit more cartoon accurate.

But for me the feeling of getting that original G1 toy in a mint condition is both costly and nice. The reissue are a great suppliment but the originals win by a few inches.

6. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love me some reissues, they're a good way to get the classic toys of my childhood in lovely condition at affordable prices. However, nothing beats getting some genuine vintage, in my opinion. Alterations to reissues can bug me a little bit, especially oversized missiles (I'd rather have spring-less launchers).

7. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    I personally dont do reissues unless they are for my customs, or color/mold varients, like e-hobby stuff, or some KO stuff like clear TFs. Finding, and owning clean originals to me is half the fun.

8. zephon

zephon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd say go for reissues if you're just gonna open and play with them. Theoretically, the reissues won't be as brittle in plastic as 20+yr old toys.

9. SoundBlaster7

SoundBlaster7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree 100% with you. :) 

Alterations don't really bother me, there are no drastic changes from what I've seen. I have to agree though, originals are always the best. Just because of the fact they're vintage.

We all know there are a lot of figures that haven't been reissued and may never be due to lost/destroyed molds or whatever reason. So you will still have to get the vintage ones for certain characters and get that "vintage experience" in your collection. From my point of view it's a win-win situation. Double the fun.

10. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I have no problem with reissues. I'd rather have originals of course, but some toys are just so far out of reach. For example I'd rather have an original Stepper, but the reissue is just fine as far as I'm concerned. I just wish Takara had done an Artfire to go with him.
    Reissue Star Convoy was an excellent buy, and he served me well until I managed to snag an original.

11. beanman

beanman Not a Decepticon

News Credits:
    The first thing I did when I got back into collecting is track down all the hasbro reissues available (I'm currently only short the seacons)... and as I got more into it, I really wanted vintage figures- so now i'm going after those...

In short, I think both reissues and vintage are quite satisfying... although if I could start over, I may have gone after the takara reissues strictly for the aesthetics of the white boxes (I think they would display nicer...).

12. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    I get the reissues because they're usually pretty much the same as the original with minor alterations to make the toy just a little bit better.

13. maz25

maz25 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Vintage, hands down. Although some of the reissues are really cool, like white Astrotrain and black Ironhide.

14. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    Nah, I beg to differ.

Your posts is so wrong when I look at all the "long handles" that's protruding from the missiles of those Hasbro Commemorative Reissues. :lol 

*Notice the sarcasm*

15. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i like having a mint figure so i have chosen to go after reissues and KO.

be choosy to buy the version that will make you happy. a lot of the usa reissue versions have things wrong like not having the correct chrome parts or the extra long missiles on the seekers. i wouldnt want those.

im in the reissue camp. i have...

optimus prime encore
    jazz encore
    prowl tfc
    trailbreaker encore
    blaster sdcc

megatron tfc
    soundwave tru
    starscream takara 22 (1st reissue)
    thundercracker and skywarp encore
    insecticons tru
    combaticons encore
    constructicons KO

and im adding more every month.

16. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    At first I wanted vintage. At some point I changed my mind and now I'm fine with reissues. It's just soooooooo much easier to get a dead mint, complete figure that way. Especially if you're buying a diecast figure, there's no worries about paint scratches which plagued me when I was buying vintage G1. I replaced a somewhat worn Sideswipe with the reissue, and man what a difference. Minty fresh please!

17. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love reissues, especially the Takara ones that don't have the alteration issues that many of the Hasbro ones do thanks to toy laws here. I want more too. It's likely the only way I'll own some of the rarer G1 stuff.

18. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

For me, the only original G1 toys I'll chase down is something that hasn't been reissued yet. That's it. Past that, reissues have served me more than well.

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    For me, nothing beats a really nice original.

Especially consider that not all of the reissues retain exactly the same things the originals did. Jazz is smiling about this.

But to echo some of the same sentiments about reissues, if one really couldn't care less about owning an "original", then I'd say one would be just as happy with a reissue.

I enjoy both quite a bit.

20. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    Personally I like the reissues - I'm only really attached to the 80's originals I still have from when I was a kid (and perhaps finding a few that I lost/sold, such as Weirdwolf).

As much as I love the "legitimacy" of an original toy, I'll take minty freshness of a resissue every time.

Now if only they'd reissue the Dinobots...