G1 Reissues vs. G1 MIB Originals...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Excelsior Prime, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Excelsior Prime

Excelsior Prime Autobot Leader

Okay, here's the deal. Years ago, I lost the following figures, which were my four favorite TFs from G1 (and yes, I'm old enough to have bought these as original releases):

Ultra Magnus
    Rodimus Prime
    Galvatron
    Powermaster Optimus Prime

For years, I've searched everywhere to find them. I keep finding parts (Galvatron's cannon, one of PM Prime's black guns) but I can't find the figures.

My mom, being as supportive of my hobby now as she was when I was a kid, wants to get these for me (or at least, one or two) to replace the missing ones.

But here's the dilemma. It seems the reissues are fairly well-priced and would be much cheaper as brand new figures instead of trying to find mint originals or even NM originals.

So, are the reissues worth it? Are they as well made as the originals?

I've seen a few reviews of the reissue of Powermaster Prime. Seems to me you're getting a better deal since the God Ginrai stuff is included, as well as chrome/more accurate cartoon paint apps.

And the reissues of the other three also appear to be great. But are they essentially the same figures as their G1 counterparts?

Does anyone have any reviews/comparisons?

Thanks, Prime

2. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    The TRU version of Magnus, IIRC, has oversized missiles. Wouldn't be that hard to buy originals on eBay though. Otherwise, it's a viable substitute for the original.

God Ginrai is an obvious improvement. Rodimus is very close. Galvatron.... well if you get the more common version, there'll be a change in color. It also has several Japanese phrases and a remolded face.

3. Excelsior Prime

Excelsior Prime Autobot Leader

Can you elaborate on how Rodimus and Galvatron have changed?

-Prime

4. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Galvatron has a remolded head and has mass release purple version instead of gray, they did do a gray version as well with the original G1 toy colors however that was an eHobby exclusive.

Rodimus I dont know which means if there was changes they are small.

5. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Plus, if you do get the Hasbro Ultra Magnus reissue, you cant just put the old school small red missiles into the launchers that come with the reissue since the new long missiles fit in differently. You'd have to get vintage launchers and missiles.

6. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I think it would be worth it.

7. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

Beyond the alterations made to Magnus and Galvatron, these re-issues are pretty faithful the originals. I have the light Purple Galvatron re-issue and its awesome. I also have the re-issue of Rodimus, and I cant tell any obvious differences between this one and the one I had in '86. ***showing my age*** I never had PM Prime so I cant say anything about him, except that boththe TRU and Takara re-issues come with extra action for it. For me, I'd would DEFINITELY buy some original missles and "launchers" for Magnus if you get the TRU version. The safety minded terds that come with it look rediculous.