G1 reissue vs classics prime. Which to get?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by millerman3732, Mar 6, 2011.

1. millerman3732

millerman3732 I remain unconvinced.

News Credits:
    Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times but this is a huge site and I didn't find a thread like this. Both are going for around 40 - 50 bucks on eBay and I was wondering which one was you guys favorite?

2. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    It's just up to you man, look at a lot of photos online and decide - G1 old school or modern classics. Both are great! With the Reissue you get the trailer which looks cool on your shelf in alt mode, seems like you are getting more for your money in that way.

3. optimus12380

optimus12380 Well-Known Member

Two totally different Prime figures IMO. The question is, what are you collecting? If it's Classics/Generations, then get the Classics Prime and I'd recommend the FP G3 trailer. If your focus is G1, then go with the Encore Prime since he can still be had fairly cheap.

4. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this

5. mmhand

mmhand Well-Known Member

I agree with the previous posters in that it depends on what you are collecting. However, if you are looking for a figure that best represents Prime's iconic look from G1, then I would go for the reissue.

Also to consider...as a display piece, G1 Prime almost always gets a bigger response from collectors and non-collectors alike. The trailer, die-cast metal parts, and the nostalgic value of the figure usually creates quite an impression.

6. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with you. When guests come to my house and see my G1 collection (originals and reissues), they are impressed. Sure some of the older TFs like Optimus, Megatron, Star Saber, Victory Leo etc may look blocky but they still look impressive.

The "Classics/Henkei/whateverthey'recalled" and movie toys look good but IMO they're like the "favour-of-the-month" and even my non-collector friends don't even give them a glance. I especially "shiver" when I handle my TF movie toys..."plastic junk"! I'm going to give them away! X)

In the end, it boils down to which Prime you want and what's your "theme".

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Classics Prime is an amazingly good figure. Well articulated, well proportioned and excellently designed and detailed. On the other hand, G1 Prime is an absolutely classic design that every TF collector should own.
    I wouldn't like to pick between the 2; it really does depend on what the focus of your collection is.

8. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Classics Prime gets my vote. I still think his weapons are cool and the extra paint makes him more vibrant than the Henkei release IMO. Best leave the G1 reissue as a rose-tinted memory.

9. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    It's all your choice. If it were me, I'd get the reissue.

10. AMG

AMG Old School

If given the choice, I'd take the G1 Prime reissue.

11. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Depends on personal preference. Check out the pictures of both in the resource section and that may help you decide which one you like the look of the most.

12. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the movie toys, i did just that, but the classics figures, my non collector friends either know who it is instantly, or after a guess or two, and are impressed with the updates,

13. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Buy both, if you can afford them.

14. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

If you don't have a G1 Prime, get the reissue. EVERYBODY should have a G1 Prime!

15. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, some of the updates were pretty good such as Ironhide and Ratchet. For my movie toys, I'm going to donate them (maybe I will keep Optimus and Jetfire) to charity just as I did with my animated toys, cybertron toys and Armada toys.

16. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

yup.

17. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Yea, for me, I think eventually you need both at some point. With the G1 Re-issue one, it all depends on which incarnation for me. If it is the 25th Ann Hasbro version, I would pass (though I have two that I got cheap). I bought one to open just to see if the original hate of this incarnation was justified, and one to keep MISB because I think it does make a decent display piece. The color on both Prime and his trailer just seem a bit too far off, and the small smokestacks kind of stank. It is a cheap option, but I would hold off and save up for the Encore version if it were my only prime.

18. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Depends what you favour on a personal level, but I'd go for G1 Prime everytime.

19. millerman3732

millerman3732 I remain unconvinced.

News Credits:
    Thanks alot for the thoughts guys. Ive decided to go the G1 reissue route 1, because I feel that's the best representation of the G1/Classics look. And 2 I got a sweet deal on a Hasbro reissue from a very generous member of the forum.

20. mmhand

mmhand Well-Known Member

I think you will be pleased. More than any other Transformer figure, G1 Prime most represents the brand. Additionally, the figure is a part of history and will likely be a part of any discussion regarding 20th century toys. I think that all Transformer collectors should have at least one.