G1 Reissue preference: TRU vs. TFC?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Slimbone, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Slimbone

Slimbone Decepti-creep

I have some specific questions about some of the reissues from both the TRU Commemorative and the Japanese Transformers Collection line-ups.

Let me start with Prowl. I got the Commemorative reissue way back when it was still at Toys R Us. Although I really like him, I've often wondered if the TFC was the exact same, or whether it came with the chrome gun and rockets like the '84 original. Although I didn't know for sure, I took a hunch, and bought the TFC version of Sideswipe this week instead of the TRU. Did I waste my money and time?

Lastly, in the next month or two, I'm hoping to get round-out my collection with Smokescreen and Inferno, both of which are available from either series.

Any help would be appreciated. And lastly, all the G1 reissues I wanted that were offered in the Encore series, I chose them over the others.

2. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I like the looks of the American boxes, but the Takara reissues have them beat hands down, IMO. Very little is changed on the reissues whereas on the US reissues you have removed springs, shortened smokestacks, and non-chromed parts that used to be chromed. Not to mention elongated missiles. Yeah, I don't think there's any question in my book.

3. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I agre with weirdwolf here. I would still want to collect the commerativ series and I shall but I own all TF and they are just better, they also have the artwork and pappers inside the TRU dont have

downside is of course price. TRU are generelly cheaper then TFC

4. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got whatever was available, if it didn't come out in the US I got it from Japan. I don't mind the differences in the two because the spirit is still there I think, so not having some chrome here and there doesn't really bother me. The only thing that really bothers me is Prime's smokestacks. Unfortunately, I only have the USA version.

5. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Like it was mentioned before, there are only minor differences between the two. The definite differences are the missiles and launchers. The TRU have the non-launchable elongated (on some of the figures) missile launchers due to US laws and they are black, whereas the TFC are almost identical to the original figures. However, in terms of deciding which version to get depends on one's budget, how much they are willing to spend and personal preferences. The TRU are cheaper than the TFC version.

6. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

with me, which ever one is cheaper lol really.

7. Slimbone

Slimbone Decepti-creep

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know.

8. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One that has a BIG difference between the two is Starscream. Besides the long missiles on the U.S. version, the TFC version has lighter blue, orange cockpit, different wing stripes, all of which are more cartoon accurate, comes with a small version of Megatron in his gun mode that he can hold, etc. It's not more accurate to the original Starscream toy, but it's really awesome. I suggest getting that if you can find it at an afordable price.

9. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    about a year ago I started to collect the Hasbro reissues. I had them all then I was going to get the TFC reissues that Hasbro didn't make. I got Hound. The box was a true collectors item. So I ended up buying every singel one of the TFC over about a month or so and sold my Hasbro reissues (except the ones not in the TFC line). There is no comparison between the two quality wise if you are into collecting the boxes as well. Go with TFC.

10. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    If you are looking for the next best thing to the originals... Takara. If you want something that is close enough and less expensive... TRU.

11. Slimbone

Slimbone Decepti-creep

Thanks everybody! I really appreciate the feedback.

12. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To echo everyone else, the TFC is way superior, but more expensive. Besides the accuracy to the original releases, I just love the box and presentation effort of TFC.

13. Incesticon

Incesticon Beet Gugal

I agree with everyone here that the Takara versions seem better, but if you're not into the boxes with Characters like Skids, Sideswipe and Red alert you might as well go with the Hasbro versions as they're cheaper, and apart from the non-firing missiles, as far as I can tell the same as the Takara versions...

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    whatever's cheaper...if it's was a TRU american released and the TFC verison...TRU version...it;s cheaper.