G1 references?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OOSnake, Mar 12, 2012.

1. OOSnake

OOSnake Well-Known Member

Earlier I was watching the Transformers 1 dvd with my brother, when I noticed that Bumblebee's parked right next to pretty much, his g1 counterpart in vehicle mode (a beetle, was it?) Anyway, I thought this was a pleasant reference.

Share any G1 references you noticed in the Bay movies.

2. Meggamus

Meggamus I want FOC figures!!

Frenzy transforming into a radio was a reference to soundwave.
    Frenzy ejecting from barricades chest was a reference to frenzy ejecting from soundwave in G1.

Also when laserbeak transformed from a copier into bird mode in dotm, it made the sound of "more than meets the eye" theme tune

3. OOSnake

OOSnake Well-Known Member

I thought that was a G1 reference. I didn't know it was frenzy though, so I didn't mention it.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Just in the first movie?

- The Transformation sound when Blackout transforms
    - Peter Cullen as Prime
    - Jazz as an "urban-focused" Autobot
    - The phrase "More than meets the eye"
    - The phrase "One shall stand, one shall fall"

Or how about some stuff that never made it in?
    - Blackout was originally meant to be Soundwave
    - The Allspark was called The Energon Cube in early drafts

5. Koolimus Prime

Koolimus Prime Weapons Expert

The plot of DOTM is 3 G1 episodes put in a blender, with a sprinkle of Star Trek, all served a a silver platter... in an explosion.

6. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Here's a list I compiled of both my own findings and other things that I've seen people reference (many of which are stretches, even in my opinion). And yes, several of these are similar to other series, not just G1, but I was too lazy to search through and edit them.

Transformers (2007)

-The original transformation clip was used when Blackout first transformed. Now, I'm sure some people out there would complain that they didn't use that sound for every single transformation, even as a basis. And then it was used again during 'Bee's final transformation in DotM. Sort of like book-ends.

The transformation sound from The Transformers is heard on four other occasions in the movie:
    -Bumblebee transforms to catch a falling Sam and Mikaela, the Nokia phone and Starscream flies into space at the end.

-Jazz's original alternate mode in The Transformers was a Porsche sports car, but this was revised to a Pontiac Solstice. As a tribute to the series, Ron Witwicky teases Sam by driving him through a Porsche dealership before taking him to the used car lot.

-When the ’76 Camaro Bumblebee pulls up in Bobby Bolivia’s car lot, right next to a yellow Volkswagen Beetle, his G1 alternate mode. The car continues to be present throughout the scene and is a main focus of it.

-Sam's awkward "there's...more than meets the eye with you"-line. And then repeating it over and over and berating himself for using it in such a stupid context. Optimus even says it himself during his closing narration.

-When Optimus’ protoform stands on the hill and scans the passing semi, it is done in a very similar manner when Optimus Prime in Transformers Armada scans a passing semi truck and trailer whilst he observes from a hill. His transition is also hidden from the camera.

-Ironhide's mention of "he’s leaked lubricants..." in direct reference/homage to one of his most famous G1 catchphrases, “Leakin’ lubricants!”

-Megatron's hand transforms into a mace and Optimus GIANT GLOWING ORANGE SWORD. I thought those were nods to Megatron's purple mace and Optimus' orange axe from “More Than Meets the Eye, Part 2” in G1. And then DotM actually gave us an honest-to-goodness axe. How much more "giant orange axe" can you get than a giant orange axe?

-Jazz's flip onto Brawl in Transformers intentionally being a near frame for frame recreation and homage to Kup flipping onto Blitzwing in the original G1 animated movie as confirmed by the ILM animators.

-During the Mission City battle, Megatron grabs hold of a swerving SUV and throws it. The SUV’s license plate reads “ENERGON”.

There are several allusions in the film to the Hasbro Company, the official distributors of the "Transformers" toyline:
    When the little girl discovers Ironhide in her swimming pool, she is holding a "My Little Pony" stuffed toy. Hasbro owns the "My Little Pony" toyline.
    During the Battle of Mission City, Bumblebee and Ironhide use a "Furby" truck as a shield against Starscream's attack. The "Furby" toyline is also owned by Hasbro.

The film's last scene is of Starscream fleeing into space. This is a tribute to the closing credits of The Transformers which featured a scene of Starscream and his teammates Skywarp and Thundercracker blasting off into space.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009)

-When Mudflap and Skids first appear in their Ice-Cream Wagon disguise, they play the Transformers theme song in a very "ice-creamish" way.

-Megatron exhales a prolonged “Yeesss...” twice in the film, as David Kaye’s portrayal of Megatron was so well known for.

-Simmons mentions “robots...in disguise...” when he talks about the Seekers.

-A newspaper is sucked into Devastator that headlines a photograph and accompanying article about a mysterious appearance by Shockwave.
    A sign reading "Takara Sushi" can be seen during the Battle, shortly after Jazz and Ratchet engage Devastator in combat. The Japanese toy company Takara was responsible for Transformers in Japan until it was sold to Hasbro.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011)

-The original transformation clip was used when Laserbeak transforms into a pink Bumblebee.

-When Laserbeak scans an office copier, and one of the workers fiddles with his buttons, the “tune” that is played by the buttons is the Transformers theme song.

-Megatron removing Abraham Lincoln from his chair at the Lincoln Memorial and then sitting in it is a scene taken directly from the Generation 1 cartoon episode, “Atlantis, Arise!”

-Optimus now carries the the Matrix around in his chest like he has in past cartoons.

-The Xanthium is the name of the Wreckers’ spaceship in the IDW’s Transformers comics.

-Megatron's hand transforms into a mace and Optimus GIANT GLOWING ORANGE SWORD. I thought those were nods to Megatron's purple mace and Optimus' orange axe from “More Than Meets the Eye, Part 2” in G1. And then DotM actually gave us an honest-to-goodness axe. How much more "giant orange axe" can you get than a giant orange axe?

-The original transformation clip was used when Blackout first transformed. Now, I'm sure some people out there would complain that they didn't use that sound for every single transformation, even as a basis. And then it was used again during 'Bee's final transformation in DotM. Sort of like book-ends.

-The idea of bringing Cybertron to Earth via space bridge and enslaving humans was the plot of the well-regarded Generation 1 multi-part episode “The Ultimate Doom”.

-Likewise, the idea of an influential and powerful human joining forces with the Decepticons, resulting in the Autobots being exiled from Earth by the government via a spacecraft, only for that spacecraft to be destroyed, was the plot behind another popular Generation 1 cartoon multi-part episode, “Megatron’s Master Plan”.

Like I said, many of these are eye-rollingly bad assumptions/coincidences, but many are also legitimate/obvious references.

7. Meggamus

Also, Dylan Gould is probably a reference to Dr Arkville in G1 as he was willing to help the decepticons in the battle and enslaving the human race but was annoyed that they were destroying his planet in the mean time

8. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The plot of ROTF was also in the audio book Sun Raid.

9. StacyGrsley

StacyGrsley Banned

The Harvester was a reference to the plot device in the g1 episode "changing gears"

10. ShOcKwAvE1213

ShOcKwAvE1213 THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

You have the eagle eye for seeing emerging on the license plate. Nice work bro:) 

11. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

7 primes visit sam like rodimus visit history in rotf

12. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    :lol  Thanks, but I won't take the credit. I briefly saw it when I saw it in the theatres, and a freeze-frame when I bought it confirmed it. Plus, TFWiki came up with/confirmed most of these.

13. BLOODRAGED189

BLOODRAGED189 Getting a job to buy TFs.

News Credits:
    Nah man, just nah.

14. ShOcKwAvE1213

ShOcKwAvE1213 THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

Oh well still. You got the eagle eye.

15. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    een despite i havent seen g1, dont forget the Star Harvester may likely or may not be a reference to the Solar Needle from G1, but i am not sure, but at least both machines fuction the same way from what i read

16. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    TFTM

One shall stand, one shall fall?

Bonecrusher's eye popping out reminds me of Sludge's eye popping out when fighting Devastator in the 1986 movie.

Optimus jumping down to catch Sam as he's falling, G1 season 3, Ultra Magnus jumpung down a cliff to save Daniel.

ROTF

Bumblebee VS Ravage. Did not realize Bumblebee fought against Ravage in G1.

Jetfire becoming an Autobot, Jetfire becoming an autobot.

Prime using Jetfire parts to fly, Prime using Sideswipe jetpack to fly.

DOTM

Everything.

17. Ultrawave

Ultrawave Hey look, I have a title

News Credits:
    I'd have to disagree with the bolded part. The sound editors cleverly hid it amongst transformations all through out the trilogy. While it may not have been obvious or the exact tones, it was there. In some transformations its so spread apart that you can only hear it if it's sped up. Or its slowed down dramatically for the scene.

A perfect example is Ironhide's transformation here.

IRON HIDE TRANSFORM - YouTube

Sideswipe's transformation sound and the beginning of the Dreads' sounds all are similar to the G1 noise as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

They even kept the device on the same continent, the sun harvesting device was in central Africa on the G1 cartoon while the sun harvesting device is in northern Africa in the movie.

But at least the movie didn't make the Autobots drive there like the cartoon did :D 

19. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    Huh, whattya' know? Well I suppose that only strengthens the argument. Good work, Ultrawave. :ev: 

Yeah, so one can argue that it's the basis of many of the transformation sounds, plus, it's highlighted around a dozen times throughout the trilogy, to make the sound even more noticeable.

20. Meggamus

in most of the transformations in the movie there are 3 detectible noises (much like G1)