Customs: G1 prime repaint questions/opinions

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Big Dawg, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hi everyone,

I am currently working on restoring my very own G1 prime I played with when I was a child. Figured it would be a good introduction to the world of tf modding. I thought I left him in pretty good shape but apparently my 2 nephews got a hold of him in storage and Optimus had his legs, smoke stacks and front bumper broken. Since this particular optimus holds sentimental value for me I wanted to restore him to his former glory!

So, I completely disassembled him, took the leg/grill/ abdomen piece off of a spare magnus I had laying around and primed all my parts (I will have a wip thread closer to completion that has been meticulously documented).

So my question to the radicons involves the magnus abdomen piece I am using- I dont want to disassemble it further because I want to avoid removing the pin in the wheels. What would be the best way to paint him? For the rest of the custom I am using various spray paints for base cots and I will be doing the details using either tamiya or games workshop paints. Should I:

1) mask off the "red" areas of the abdomen and spray the bumper, grill, wheels and legs silver, then mask off the silver parts I just mentioned and spray the rest red?

2) mask off the "red" areas of the abdomen and spray the bumper, grill, wheels and legs silver, then hand paint the "red" areas with a brush?

3) Spray the whole abdomen area silver, then paint over the "red" areas with a clear red like tamiya clear to achieve a metallic red paint?

Thanks for any advice. As I mentioned I will be putting up a thread documenting my work when I am closer to the end. If I can pull this one off I have my G1 jetfire that has a broken arm that I am considering working on next.

2. Big Dawg

News Credits:
    any opinions on this? anyone repainted a G1 prime that wants to share their experience?

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Okay, i think that in this case, 3) would work best. The metallic paint effect (candy coating, except without the chrome) would look really nice. The catch is that you'd have to paint every other part with this process. Assuming you'll be painting it all anyways, i'd say go for the candy. It's the easiest, no masking necessary.

Now, there are going to be people that go "What, candy coating without an airbrush, what???!!!". I can tell you that in the many customs i've done in such a method with a brush, i've never had any problems such as thick paint or brush strokes. If you paint the clear red on in light coats, you won't have such a problem, i don't think. I've tried experimenting with painting the clear red by dabbing it on quite a lot at a time, and that also works, though obviously is slightly more dangerous than the 'light coats' method.

Yeah, go with 3). :) 

4. Big Dawg

News Credits:
    Thanks steak sauce (A1, get it), I think I'll take your advice and do an all silver prime and paint the clear over it. I already primed prime, and painted the lower legs blue, but for consistency-sake I will do a set in the silver and see how the clear blue looks (have a few junker-primes that are contributing to my originals rebuild) . I dont have any clear yet. anyone have any suggestions which company would have clear reds and blues that would match the look on G1 prime?