G1 Prime - Options

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ian_GSi, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Ian_GSi

Ian_GSi Active Member

So, after introducing my nephew to G1 over the last few years (he's five now) he has become a major fan over the last few months.

I got him a current prime toy last year but now he wants as he calls it (the proper real optimus prime! i.e G1)

I have absoloutly no knowledge on the toy lines really but I don't intend on buying him a NIB prime to play with!

Anyone suggest an option? I have read about Jap knock offs, what are these like and are they reasonably priced?

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    If he wants one recognizable as G1 Prime, I'd go for Robot Masters Convoy, or if that's too expensive (probably is by now), one of the better KOs of it. It's very show accurate in robot mode.

3. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    The Rescue Bots Optimus Prime closely resembles the G1 Prime and with its easy transformation it will not frustrate him compared to the more complx transformations of other Primes from various lines.

Here a link... HASBRO - TRANSFORMERS RESCUE BOTS PLAYSKOOL HEROES OPTIMUS PRIME

Also, if you want to get him the "Proper Real Optimus Prime"... Get him a G1 reissue or if you want to go all out, get him a Masterpiece.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  4. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    Depending on your market, you might still be able to find the Optimus vs Megatron Ultimate Battle pack
    Shared Exclusive Optimus Prime Vs. Megatron Battle Pack - Transformers 2010 - 2011 Transformers Exclusives

It has been available since 2007, first as a mass retail set with DVD, and I've seen it the past couple years sporting Universe packaging. The above is the "new" version in Generations packaging that started hitting last year, and is likely available at Dollar General or Big Lots for $20 or less.
    Both figures feature action features and the Prime is clearly G1 enough for any kid I would imagine.

5. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    5-year-olds can be impatient, but personally I'm holding out for a Hasbro version of MP-10 :D 

6. Ian_GSi

Ian_GSi Active Member

Thanks for all the tips guys.

I'm sure out of all the suggestions I will find something suitable. Can't believe i'm looking at an xmas present in September :( 

7. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been introducing my niece to Transformers, she's 3 1/2 right now and so far I've given her Legends Bumblebee and Cyberverse Ironhide. She has flat-out told me she wants an Optimus Prime toy. I've pretty much decided to give her that Prime that comes with Megatron and the DVD from Classics. It'll be easy enough for her to transform, I hope, and I think she'll like the action feature.

8. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    You calling ROTF Prime's transformation tough? :p 

9. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Huh, I'll have to go check my Dollar General to see if I can find it for a good price.