G1 Prime Immortal?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by thunder97, Oct 30, 2008.

1. thunder97

thunder97 Active Member

Going through these forums I have often heard about how alot of the older TF molds have broken, crumbled, evaperated into dust from too much use lol.. I think the last one I read about was the G1 combaticon molds, thus classics Universe using the energon molds for classics bruticus.. SO, my question is this, why hasnt this happened to the most used mold ever I imagine that bring G1 Optimus Prime.. Is his mold immortal or what? lol

2. thunder97

thunder97 Active Member

"that being Optimus Prime" I meant lol

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

4. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    It might have something to do with frequency of use.

The more famous molds to have been destroyed from use; the RiD Car Brothers and the Combaticons, were re-deco'd four or five times in as many years. Whereas they've only kicked out a new variation of G1 Prime once every couple of years or so. Could be wrong.

Or perhaps they're treated differently? Maybe G1 Prime's mold is handled with better care at the factories than some others?

5. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I would say its a combination of this and the possibility that they had more "Master Molds" made for Prime then they did other molds.

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I would say that's the big issue. Prime probably had more then a single set of master molds during the major days of Transformers. In addition, it's been tweaked over the years, which may have resulted in new master molds over the years, whereas Bruticus and the Car Brothers not only weren't, but were still using the original molds right up to the end.

7. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

I think alot of that stuff we read about broken moulds or lost/unliscensed moulds is just here-say. AKA just rumors. And if anyone official says it, my guess it that it is PR spin. After all, if that were absolutely true Takara would not be able to reissue Omega Supreme and some of the other so claimed "lost" moulds. Same thing about all these KO reissues. They all look just like their original counterparts for the most part.

And a mould "crumbling dust" from so much use? I hope that was just a joke... if someone else actually said that they had to be making stuff up.

8. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Prime's mold was repaired when it was planned for use with the first reissues in Japan. The die-cast parts received completely new molds at that time, copied from original figure parts. The molds did (and in this case, did) wear down or wear out, but if they feel it's worth it, they can be recreated.

9. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Your confusing 2 different issues.

Omega Supreme was "NEVER" a lost mold 0r dammaged issue.Takara "NEVER" owned the rights to produce that figure in the 80's.

The recent "Re-issue" of both Omega and Skylinx werent really "Re-issues" in Japan because neither figure were ever sold by Takara in the 80's G1 toyline in Japan.

Durring some of the mergers over the years the moulds came into Takara's possesion and can now be released for the "First" time by Takara.

And as for the K.O.'s.....some of them are being made by the "Lost molds".

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    G1 Optimus is just one of those toys that Hasbro and Takara will always wheel out regularly. It's like the Transformers icon. I could imagine that even if the original molds have died that this one particular figure would be worth the price of recreating the molds for.

11. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Or more likely, as Takara did with Soundwave, a new mold was created using an original figure.

12. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I dont know if thats "more likely" but thats a different debate:drunk 

13. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's true, given all the old stock/prototypes that have shown up on ebay over the last year, it's certianly possible someone got a hold of the original molds.

In general I don't get too excited about reissues anymore, not since we got classics!