G1 Pretender Vehicles

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by werepolarbear, May 8, 2010.

1. werepolarbear

werepolarbear Well-Known Member

Just wanting everyone's opinion who is better Gunrunner or Roadgrabber.

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Tough call IMO.
    Roadgrabber looks more aggressive, but his driving mode is very daft looking; Gunrunner's actually has him driving the car shell properly. On the other hand Gunrunner needs a large chunk of his shell to transform, and Roadgrabber only needs 2 guns.
    Personally, I love them both. I'd love to see them both reissued, especially in a double pack. It'd be so cool to diaplay them next to the ones I had when I was a kid.

3. Mr. Ginrai

Mr. Ginrai Godmaster

I have both and have to say my vote goes to Roadgrabber.

Both have ground and air assault ability and look like they pack a wallop when needed.

Gunrunner's shell is bulky but hardened like a tank, evokes an image of a bad ass fighter and has the color, look and style more reminiscent of the earth dwelling G1 autobots. His robot mode gets to attach all his weapons in a decent manner and you can even use the plane section to make a jetpack for him (think ridiculous looking like in Robocop 3). He can also be posed to sit down, as in a chair.

The car shell is a big thing to have laying around though, unless he drives it, and yes it is cool how he can drive it "properly", but he can also be folded and appear completely hidden. My gunrunner's jet section never quite locks in right in car mode, it is probably too loose because it always spins off. Should look into getting another one I guess

Roadgrabber on the other hand, just does it for me. IMO, one of the best late/pretender/G1 figures, even though the transformation for the robot is on the fisher price scale of simplicity. For me, the whole design of this robot scream peak of G1/post 2010 cybertron technology. He is super sleek and smooth, colors evoke a stealth/advanced decepticon feel (definitely cybertronian) with a bit of "seacon" pink thrown in to show he can be flashy and bad ass. His robot mode screams decepticon (in its image), and I like the fact that his jet mode does well, even without the wings attached (he still manages to look like a great futuristic hover jet, etc.)

He has to "hide" in his shell rather than drive it, but in car attack mode the add on wings enhance an already great vehicle. Although he can't "sit", he makes up for this with the most useful transformation of all the pretenders - his vehicle shell transforms into an ATTACK CHARIOT!! Complete with bubble shield (from the windshield), command console (front fenders), and the pom pom guns even integrate (although they don't pom pom in this mode), also has an action figure style peg to hold him in place in this mode.

Hands down one of my favorite G1 figures ever and one I would never get rid of if I decided to let my collection go. For me he represents a bright spot of what a lot more of the pretenders could have been and great design during the downturn in transformers that was starting at the time.

IIRC, he is also a bit more affordable. I remember it being easy for me to get him cheaply (I already had gunrunner at the time, but checked anyways and he seemed to be more expensive/in demand). Roadgrabber's pom pom guns are hard to get (they have fragile tabs also - make sure they aren't broken), while the robot and shell are fairly common and his small gun is somewhat easy to find.

Gunrunner commands more, I feel, because although the robot and car are common, the jet is somewhat easy to find, his gun and the missles are a pain. More pieces = a few more $ obviously. I also think people shy away from Roadgrabber because of the colors, I don't and you shouldn't either. He is a great starter figure if you haven't gotten into the later stuff, which a lot of it can be expensive and a little on the boring side.

Roadgrabber hands down.

4. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    I would like to mention that skyhammer would be totally awesome if it wasn't for GPS, looks like such a fun figure but i can't touch it

5. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like both, but I vote for Gunrunner because he can drive his shell. Roadgrabber has the better alt mode though.

6. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I f'n LOVED my Skyhammer toy when I was a kid. All the way until I sold him when I was 19. Badass toy.

7. DJ Soundwave

DJ Soundwave Action Figure Master

Roadblock is Better the Skyhammer :) 

8. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Roadgrabber is my favorite of the bunch. He's a car with pincers.

Let me say that again: CAR WITH PINCERS!!!

He's like an earwig on wheels. Could make for a nifty Cybertron Downshift repaint, as well, though beyond the big clamp/pincers thingy I guess there's not really much similarity.

I'm also a fan of his classic late-G1-Decepticon color scheme. And I can forgive the weird backwards driving mode.

9. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Gunrunner

10. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    take GPS out of the picture, Skyhammer is better

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Of the two, I'd say Roadgrabber. I prefer the design. Gunrunner is also excellent though so you're not going to lose out whichever you choose.

But yes, car with pincers :)  I love that look as well.

12. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

I like Roadgrabber's robot mode better.

13. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Roadgrabber is the best. Although ive gotta say the pretender vehicles where sucky figures they change from a robot that fits in a car to a block with wings. eugh. Mega pretender on the otherhand are a bit more fun.

14. Scaleface

Scaleface TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Gunrunner is massively cool. Roadgrabber is a rounded silly mech.