G1 Predaking Photos, Review & Retrospective

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Paladin, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Here's a history lesson-

In the original 1984 Transformers series, the so-called "evil forces of the Decepticons" were not very impressive. In total, Megatron's forces numbered one tape deck, a camera & some multicolored jets. So when the toyline was expanded in '85, several new Decepticons came into the fray-including one of the most memorable Robots in Disguise of all time:

YouTube - Transformers - Devastator's debut!

DEVASTATOR! To this day many consider him to be the definitive Combining Robot. I know GoLion & SuperSentai really originated the tradition but back in 1985 before the Internet & the popularity of import stores, options for collecting the Japanese Combiners were severely limited. So for many young fans this was the first real chance we had to own a Combiner toy.

As the year went on Hasbro introduced several other Combiners including Menasor, Superion,
    Bruticus,
    and Defensor. These all followed different body-type than Devastator. Fans have affectionately dubbed these the "Scramble City" Combiners (named after a particularly bad Transformers episode where they all swap limbs on a regular basis.) All of these designs are now very popular among knockoffs & can probably be found at any dollar store.

But before the Transformers franchise moved away from standard Generation-1 designs in favor of gimmicks like the Headmasters, one more Combiner was made- probably the most unique figure of its time.

Like all Transformers Combiners the figures in question consist of their own sub-group: the Predacons (a name which would become even more famous a decade later when supported by an extremely good CGI series), five robotic Decepticon animals.

[​IMG]

Razorclaw is the leader of the Preds, a powerful (& colorful) lion in Beast Mode.

[​IMG]

Robot Mode's not very special by itself, like most "G1" toys it has minimal articulation. And, like each Predacon, Razorclaw is armed with a sword & a gun.

[​IMG]

Rampage, the Tiger.

[​IMG]

Again, not much to say about him.

[​IMG]

Divebomb, the Eagle.

[​IMG]

Probably my favorite of the individual designs. Just because I like the wings.

[​IMG]

Tantrum, the Bull. Profoundly stupid name.

[​IMG]

The arm design gives him a greater degree of motion than the others. Still not that much special about him.

[​IMG]

And last but not quite least is Headstrong- the Rhinoceros.

[​IMG]

Another boring brick.
    The Predacons by themselves may be unimpressive but-like most Teams- their true strength lies in their Combination!

[​IMG]

PREDAKING! The ultimate hybrid of Beasts, Predaking is a badass force of destruction. He remains the biggest, toughest Combiner that Hasbro has ever made (but he pales in comparison to Sentai forms like GrandLiner or G12).

Predaking's traditional weapon is an arm-mounted cannon but he can also use any of the swords belonging to the individual Predacons.

Since Predaking is made of larger, stronger parts than typical Combiners he is blessed with more points of articulation than most Combined teams. Specifically, Predaking actually has a functioning waist & (to a degree) movable elbows!

[​IMG]

Predaking is just all-around awesome, one of the greatest Transformers toys in history. And for a Super Sentai fan like me-who's already accustomed to huge, colorful combining animals- he's pretty much the perfect toy.

2. Nemesis_Dirge

Nemesis_Dirge Banned

News Credits:
    Predaking...THIS is exactly what hasbro should have re-released as the 25th anniversary celebration of transformers...if they did nothing else...it would have been enough.

3. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Agreed. This big bastard is what combiners are all about.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I absolutely LOVE this toy. I'm so glad I picked up the reissue when it first came out. Along with Liokaiser, I consider him to be pretty much the perfect G1 Combiner.

5. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Man, do I ever wish I'd tried harder to grab the Predacons when they were reissued. Predaking is just such an awesome sight to behold.

6. mitchsantona

mitchsantona Seeker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just recently put together an almost complete Predaking. Picked up a Tantrum and Razorclaw who I never had as a kid, and picked up a Head and a Fist in several Auctions. I am stuck on his damned feet though. Everyone wants 30 bucks a foot, and I'm not dropping 60 for a set. I could do 30.00 for a set, maybe 35.00, but 60 is too much to swallow. This has been a bit of a quest for me to find them for less than 20 a pop. I will continue to Hunt.

7. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Loved the review. He truly is an amazing toy, I am so glad I have the reissue.

8. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Damn.... If hasbro would reissue this, with sixshot, ironhide, ratchet and so on, they would be gods. I had an original set of the predicons a few years back, and I had to sell it unfortunately.. God I miss that set.... Darn it hasbro, get on it guys!!

9. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Predaking Rules!
    I picked up an original metal version of this guy about a year before it was re-issued.
    $96 (shipping included) all 5 figures, all Predaking parts, 3 swords, large arm cannon and 3 hand guns.
    It wasn't even listed in the Transformers section on ebay.
    The lady that sold it to me had no idea what she had.
    It was from one of those "I sold it on eBay companies"

10. b.winn1

b.winn1 Well-Known Member

i have the reissue set and its my fav combiner he is just awsome. a must

11. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    Although the photos are aweful (way too bright) :( 

I do love the history lesson you gave us.

However, you left out one of those most vital components of Predaking.

He was not in any way shape or form designed by HASBRO. He was designed by BANDAI, which is why he is so Detailed and Poseable and larger in scale to all the other Gestalts.

He also came out in 1986, not 85' but it's a minor oversight. :) 

I have the original Metal G1 Predaking He's a masterpiece of a Gestalt, granted the individual robot modes suffer greatly in terms of looks and poseability. To be honest I think Rampage, looks the best out of the 5.