2D Artwork: g1 photoart: boxart retro, with tutorial

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by KA, Sep 26, 2006.

1. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    TFW2005 BBTS Transformers Battlescene Contest - Other Transformers Images - TFW2005.COM

'sup. i dont usually do non-humor pieces, but i thought the battlescene comp. would be fun to work on, what with the motivation of getting free stuff. mmm, free stuff...

[​IMG]

larger version, here:

Transformers Images - TFW2005.COM

the premise is, g1 are fricking bricks yo, so the challenge is making em look alive. the g1 boxart homage is not a coincidence, i even took time to study em to get a feel for em. note that the objective is not realism but its gotta look like theres a lot o shit going on, yeah.

onwards, to the tutorial!

vital stats:
    - 18 cons, 22 bots, 40 total (as usual, bots had numbers)
    - composed at 3000 x 1500 + pixels, over 50 layers and around 100 megs

1st, take pics of figures. lots of em. i took 4-5 shots of each bot with slightly varied angles. pretty simple cam setup. i just use a 3.2mp, non SLR, (you dont need a fancy shmacy camera to get things done) and a directional lamp with overhead general fluorescent lighting (from the room light). use a white background.

2nd, crop out the figures from photo background. i like to use the marquee select tool to get crisp edges.

3rd, set up the background/compositing file. when arranging the figure in the composition, draft sketches help to visualize overall composition.

4th, once i get a few figs (the main ones) in the composition, look suitable background material for the backdrop. additional manipulation may be required, e.g. i had to spherize the landscape to suit the perspective.

5th, once all figures are composited - make sure your layers are organized, start working on effects. almost all the motion - white streaks - are on individual layers. dont be afraid to vary the technique, opacity in accordance with foreground/background position.
    the explosions and weapons blast were also created from scratch, using paint and blur tools. the explosion effects were done in a separate file and copy pasted into the final composite, varied by the sizes only.

6th and final, i added a diffuse glow layer to create light effect and contrast to the figures - makes em look less flat, creates visual depth.
    the diffuse glow layer was done in a separate file, all the figures were merged to one layer, rendered in grayscale and added the diffuse glow effect. which was then pasted into the composite layer as an overlay mask layer.
    thats how the shiny parts of the parts look like theyre glowing without me using lighting effects.

a word on composition, when working with lots of elements: group the elements in hierarchy, foreground, background, etc. notice how certain bots are grouped together by size and viewing distance. it helps clarity of composition.

also, once youre done, take your time to review the work and look at it with fresh eyes. i took 2-3 days just to make minor tweaks; i added the 3 changers during this time, even adjusted the composition a bit of the figures in the centre area to 'get it right').

further questions welcomed.

Attached Files:

• KA1.jpg
      KA1.jpg
      File size:
      901 KB
      Views:
    • KA2.jpg
      KA2.jpg
      File size:
      878.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2009
  2. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Nice, and congrats again!

And how do you go about doing your explosion-y effects? I usually just make a shape and play with outer glows and blurs until they 'look' like an explosion, but you seem to have it nailed down.

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    the explosion was a quickie:

- use soft brush and create red blotches outer circle

- repeat but with yellow for inner circle

- then white for the centre

then use the radial blur. add in white of black specks prior to create debris effect.

u can also line the outer circle with black, give it harder edge.