G1 or Beast Wars?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ErbFan28, Jul 12, 2011.

?

Which do you like more? G1 or Beast Wars?

1. G1

50.0%
  2. Beast Wars

50.0%
  1. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Especially looking at it retroactively through the modern lens of multiple continuities and in-canon "Universal Streams," G1 IS BW and vice versa.

That said, if I had to pick, BW definitely had tighter writing, better stories, and just an over all more polished and mature product.

G1 sure has its Gems in among all the mud though!

D/L

2. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Beast Wars, absolutely no contest. Well-written stories, good animation (past the first few episodes anyway) and great well-developed characters. G1 is good for nostalia, but that's about it. I realize we're comparing two cartoons that were a decade apart, and 80's cartoons as a whole were just meant to be silly 30 minute toy commercials, but man...watching my G1 DVDs can be absolutely painful. The G1 characters are still my favorte (fueled by nostalgia of course) but if I want to watch a damn GOOD cartoon I'll watch Beast Wars. G1 is 90% trash.

3. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Battle of the Go-bots hands down. Best...TF....EVA!

4. Network

Network Well-Known Member

Eva!? that's a whoooooole other kettle of fish :lol 

I forgot to mention gobots, i had a tape of them too and it was fun to watch too. even though as a kid who loved transforming robots, i could easily tell the difference between em.

5. Soulmaster

Soulmaster Well-Known Member

BW, no contest...
    G1 was one of my favourite tv shows when I was a kid... then it didn't air anymore
    BW appeared some years later, and I totally loved it! then Beast Machines... and could you believe I NEVER noticed the little "transformers" word in the logos until I saw BW toy-characters in RID?...
    even nostalgia doesn't matters here, BW was way better than the G1 tv series...

6. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm going to say Beast Wars. Beast Machines was kinda depressing though because all of it was taking place after G1 (I think?)

7. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    After a long discussion with myself I voted Beast Wars. Being a child of the 80's I grew up with G1 and its place in my heart will never be replaced. That said, over the span of time I pull out and watch Beast Wars more than I do G1.

8. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

How do you spell jerk?

How do you figure G1's animation was shitty by 80's standards? It was actually about on par with any of the best cartoons. The only show that I'd say was really better would have been Mighty Orbots. Sure G1 had some really cheaply animated episodes, but all series did.

And, give me traditional animation over CG any day. There is just so much more artistry in hand drawn animation, more heart, more warmth, more life.

9. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    I never really cared for the "disguise" part or took it seriously. I just though transforming was cool. But you're right, it's the organic part that did it for me....

10. Nope

Nope yscohb

News Credits:
    I'm shocked that BW is up by only 3 votes.

11. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not real surprised. I do believe Beast Wars is the superior, but there are many others who grew up on G1. Its what provided them their love for Transformers so they will always find it to be better than any others series to follow. Its nostalgia(or whatever its called).

I still think there are more fans that find Beast wars better, so I'm sure it will hold the lead. I believe G1 hasn't lead in votes so far at all.

12. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Reasons for why I prefer G1
    - Humans (Yes, humans. Protohumans are ugly)
    - Prime
    - More Technological
    - Prime
    - Vehicles
    - Prime
    - Better voice actors
    - Prime
    - Present Day Earth
    - Prime
    - More iconic
    - Prime
    - None of that Beast Machines crap
    - Prime
    - Starscream
    - Prime
    - More Familiar characters
    - Prime
    - Megatron
    - Better looking animation, imo
    - Prime
    - Soundwave
    - Better Theme song with some guy not randomly saying Beast Wars
    - Did I mention Optimus Prime?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  13. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

G1, since that's what I was familiar with while growing up.

I only just started watching Beast Wars recently. It's okay, but it's not exactly my favorite.

14. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd have to say after watching this pole, there really is no definitive favorite. G1 and Beast wars are pretty much tied. I'm fine with this. Now the G1 is the best crap can stop. I like G1. I have nothing against the show or its loyal fans, but it isn't the definitive favorite anymore. Beast Wars has taken a spot along side it and deserves to be in the same position if not higher than G1 in terms of popularity and quality.

15. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

So, for some reason, I'm thinking you like Transformers Prime.

I mean, Prime.

I mean, Optimus Prime.

Got confused a second there! ;) 

16. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Just tied it with my vote. (G1) Would'nt even give a shoot about Beast Wars if it were'nt for G1. Prime > Primal. Not crazy about gorillas anyway.

17. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

Sorry, but a small poll doesn't prove anything of the sort. Don't get me wrong though ... I like BW and there is a large fan fallowing.... but it's still no where close to G1. If it was on par with G1 we would be seeing much more BW products. BW dvds would be flying off the shelves (which around here anyway they are not). When BW is popular enough to spawn a live action movie, then I would agree that it's reached G1 popularity. I'm not sure we will ever see a main line/cartoon BW inspired series again. But, one can hope.

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Generation One.

19. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    No it aint.

G1 will still hold the top position as the one that started it all. The beginning of the whole franchise. We all know the show has faults but all those characters, all those toys, the awesomness it was for its time will never be overrun. You can never place anything on G1:s place.

BW has a hugh fanbase and I seena few eps and yes the story wise and all that is awesoem and better then G1. But to say BW is up there with G1 is far from the truth.

BW is high in regards of many other TF shows and would probbaly be ranked showwise as 1 or 2 competing with animated for the top placement. (Masterforce in as third).

G1 and the hugh nostalgiq factor is a major sledgehammer for the fans both new and old.

20. EmperorDinobot

EmperorDinobot I claim your sun!

I am young. I was into BW. But then later in life I discovered Geewun. I can't say which one was bettrer. In terms of toys i'd go with BW since they \are highly articlated....but thays just me.