2D Artwork: G1 Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by StarSaber79, Apr 4, 2011.

1. StarSaber79

StarSaber79 Banned

News Credits:
    Heres a picture i drew. Please don't look and leave!

Attached Files:

2. BombSquad

BombSquad Lies! It's all lies!

News Credits:
    cool

3. jonnyshaft

jonnyshaft Well-Known Member

It looks like youre having a lot of fun drawing these. Keep on turning them out. Your drawing, like anything else, gets better the more you do it.
    Good luck!

4. StarSaber79

StarSaber79 Banned

News Credits:
    Ya I draw alot but don't post alot because I dont get many comments.

5. jonnyshaft

Trust me, its more important that you enjoy what youre drawing than looking for any comments you might get. Feedback is nice sometimes, but if youre happy with the process and the drawing thats what counts.

6. StarSaber79

StarSaber79 Banned

News Credits:
    Ya I love drawing. But I'm also hoping for feedback when drawing and posting. Nothing discourages me but I still draw hoping for lots of feedback. Especially on FB where I get nothing.

7. CypherCrowley

CypherCrowley Well-Known Member

I really like your drawings. One thing I noticed though is that you draw all your Transformers from either a full frontal or a profile perspective. I think you should start trying different angles, because you already get all the basics right. The proportions in your drawings are very acurate, and that's something many artists struggle with. If you'd start trying different, more dynamic poses you'd really take your drawings to the next level and make your characters come to life. It's a daunting thing at first, but it's really worth the effort, your pictures will be all the better for it.

Keep it up! :thumbs2: 

8. TedimusPrime

TedimusPrime Well-Known Member

Hey don't sweat it. I know exactly how you feel. This is a good piece of art. The more you do it, the more you practice, the better you get, the more your art is exposed, the more people like your art, the more satisfaction you get, the more inspired you are to do art, the more you become creative, the more you relax... I can keep on going on. I hate it when people don't look leave me feedback for my art especially after all the hard work I put into it, but the more I keep on trying the more feedback I get. No one was born a fantastic artist.

9. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

Ebay:
    I like your style here. it feels different from your prevois post good job keep it up

10. CypherCrowley

I know how you feel, but there is also one thing you have to keep in mind:
    Everybody who is producing something artistic/creative knows how difficult it is to deal with criticism. What is often forgotten is the fact that it is equally difiicult for many people to give feedback. This is especially true for fellow artists. People who don't draw or paint generally just try to say something nice or encouraging, mostly thinking they couldn't do any better anyway. But people that are producing stuff themselves are often not sure what to say. They don't want say that you're the greatest artist ever because they feel that would be just not the truth (and not helpful for improving your skills), but at the same time they don't want to be too harsh either because they don't want to come across as arrogant or feeling superior.

Giving helpful critcism needs to be learned just as much as receiving it. Always keep that in mind when you're feeling like you're not getting the amount of feedback you'd hoped for. And keep on practicing and improving your skills. ;) 

11. StarSaber79

StarSaber79 Banned

News Credits:
    Ya angles are super hard. I try to draw them alot but they always look bad. I have yet to draw one good picture with angles.

Thanks. Its a little less detailed and its also on a different kind of paper.

12. CypherCrowley

Yes, this is a natural part of improving your technique. You have to take two steps back and then three steps ahead. What I mean by this is that after a while, you get comfortable with drawing a certain way and expect a certain level of quality. Then when you try something new you suddenly don't end up with pictures that you're satisfied with. The key is to not let this discourage you and keep pulling through until you're as good with that new technique as you've been with your old. And then you move on to the next hurdle (shadows, colors, etc.).

I wouldn't want to tell you how or what to draw, because as long as you're having fun doing it you're already achieving the most important thing. But if you truly want to keep improving, my advice is this: Don't shy away from challenges, and don't try to avoid hurdles just so you end up with illustrations that have the least amount in flaws. Instead choose the things that you have the most difficulties with and keep practicing those. Many artists keep drawing the same stuff, because they know they can pull it off in their sleep, but that way you won't improve. Setbacks are part of the learning process.

Also you might wanna take a look at this book:
    Amazon.com: You Can Draw Transformers (9780756627461): Simon Furman: Books

I think it will help you with drawing your transformers in more exiting and dramatic poses.

13. StarSaber79

StarSaber79 Banned

News Credits:
    I own the book I got it a long time ago. Hasn't helped me though but its not the books fault.

14. jonnyshaft

Cypher makes a lot of good points about criticism. I teach illustration at a couple of Universities, and when they present work, they get the harshest criticism I can dish out. Im preparing them to enter a world where they are paid for their work, and day after day they are open and invite the strongest opinions possible.
    This is a forum where people draw toys. It should be fun. Most people wont be into tearing apart work here, and thats a good thing. Art is subjective anyway, what appeals to one person doesnt necessarily appeal to the next. So I think the best you can hope for on here is if someone likes it, theyllpost and say so, if not, they wont post. Anything further than that get the student loan checks ready and go to art school, theyll be plenty of people there ready to critique;) 
    good luck
    J

15. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Bug Drone

Fans on TFW like professionally done slick computer artwork like they'd see in a comic book. Pieces that are done by hand usually don't get that much attention. I'm not really in any place to give any advice but I'd say (as far as art is concerned) never listen to anyone, and always do whatever the hell you want.

16. StarSaber79

StarSaber79 Banned

News Credits:
    Thats true I did notice that. I do not like computer art at all. I only draw by hand. In my opinion the one and only way to draw. But thats just me.

17. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Bug Drone

I also only create art by hand. I like knowing that if I was stranded on a desert island I could still create my images in the sand with a stick. but I'm not quick to shun digital art either, most good digital artists can draw by hand as well. Personally I love just about all the digibashes you see around this forum:)  I like to think I'm open to all forms of self expression (except dance)

18. jonnyshaft

I agree with B'Bantor- the computer is a tool- just like a pencil, paintbrush, crayon, stick in the sand. etc...When used as a tool and not as a "style" you get work as strong as any, it still depends on the hand and mind creating it.