G1 Optimus Prime Trailer Repair

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by blackoptimus, Jan 3, 2012.

1. blackoptimus

blackoptimus Active Member

Hey guys, I just got a vintage G1 Optimus prime and the trailer mechinism doesn't work, when I press down on the switch it doesn't launch roller like the reissues, it won't even unlock the black slider to move the slider manually. So I'm assuming that it might be jammed. Has anyone fixed this? Any help or recommendations would help, thanks.

2. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    The original US version only moves a fraction of an inch, yours is probably fine. The reissues are molded after the Japanese issues, they have a full spring and mechanism that will launch the roller across the room.

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I have the same trailer, so I can probably help you troubleshoot. Just give me a minute to get it outa my cabinet & I'll see what it does/has, and then I'll get back to you.

Edit - nvm, I thought for some reason that you were talking about the G2 black one (the repaint of the G1 mold), so the fact that mine snaps pretty hard might not help. Just open it up & see if anything's warn or broken.

4. blackoptimus

Oh where do I unscrew, I didn't want to unscrew anything b4 I made a post because I was worried about stuff flying about haha.

5. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    Does it move like 1/4"? Because if it does, its fine. I own over 15 different G1 Primes, all of my original US variants only move 1/4".

6. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    No idea. My guess would be that it's trapped in between the driving platform & the bottom of the trailer, meaning that unscrewing that shit (you'll see the screws if you turn it over) would be the 1st step. You'll just have to play around & be careful. Keep it on a table or something, put the screws into a cup or something when you take them out, and only remove one piece at a time.

Also, mine moves a 1/4 inch forward, and it's pretty strong. I can shoot Micromasters outa there just fine, so maybe yours is just broken or warn. Maybe the spring fell out or got really soft. It shouldn't be too hard to fix if its broken, though.

7. blackoptimus

Yeah but when I press the button it does nothing it's hard to explain it. I opened it up. Whats supposed to happen is that when you press the grey tab it releases the black hitch which is spring loaded, but when I press it on mine, the grey tab doesn't really go down far enough I dunno really hard to explain haha.

8. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    So yours is always compressed?

If so, you'll need to look & see what you can do about making your button actually release the thing. Try doing it with your finger to see what it needs to do, narrow it down to whatever part isn't shaped the way it needs to be, and then take it upon yourself to fix whatever that is. It's hard to explain, but it's really a case of narrowing it down to what the actual problem is.

9. blackoptimus

Here are some pics, I just dunno whats wrong, But the black slider just won't move at all.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]