G1 Optimus Prime trailer Question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SMS55, Nov 28, 2009.

1. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

Rcently my son inherrited a box of old toys including many transformers from one of his uncles. In the box was the cabin for G1 Optimus. The cab is fine, but he didn't have the trailer. He thinks it probably broke and his mom threw it out. I am looking for it. Found a few on ebay but they seem to be for parts. Transformerland has one but it has the roller eject button broken. How hard is this to fix? Is it simply a spring I can replace or will I need to buy the piece from another trailer being sold for parts. I would love to have it for him for Christmas. He'll go nuts. He does take care of his Transformers. Thanks to my help though. Thanks guys.

2. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

3. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I believe the ejection system was disabled on all US G1 primes ( I will be corrected if i am wrong) so if thats the problem its not broken it was never meant to work like the japanese examples of it, blame toy safety laws

4. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the original Prime Trailer had a working eject button. I know mind did as a child (Stupid Hasbro Reissue doesn't work however)

5. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    My old Prime had a working eject system, and the UK releases of the time were usually unaltered from their US counterparts.

6. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:

It wasn't disabled for US primes, but it was altered to not launch Roller (or other vehicles) with as much force as the Japanese version.

7. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    ah okay i stand half corrected and i going from memory of a friends Prime from when i was a Kid as the only G1 prime I own is the 25th anv. prime and its launcher is disabled

8. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info guys but is it easily fixable? Anyone here fixed their's?

9. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, the eject tab at the back of the trailer is actually continuous with the entire bottom half. To frankenstein two separate trailers together, you'd have to remove the two giant pins connecting the "clamshell" parts of the trailer from the base, swap the parts out, and then reassemble the whole thing. In theory, this is simple. In reality, your mileage may vary greatly depending on how firmly the pins are stuck in place. Sometimes, they slide right out if you so much as look at them funny, other times you'd swear they're superglued into position.

There're at least two major things to watch out for, though:

1. There are two separate versions of the trailer: one where the inside details are printed on large metal plates and another where they're just stickers. The two have enough differences in their respective molds to ensure that most major parts can't simply be swapped between the two. So, if you plan to take two junkers and create a complete one, make sure that they're of the same type.

2. One of the most common problems with Optimus Prime trailers are broken door tabs. Make sure both those AND the Roller ejection tab are intact on at least one of the units you plan to part swap with. :) 

At the risk of tooting my own horn, check out this old thread of mine for more details about what's in store for you:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...uick-guide-bloated-fist-standard-optimus.html

I would strongly suggest just being patient and keeping an eye out for an intact trailer to spare yourself the headache. :) 

10. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

In short, no, you can't repair it easily.

11. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

my G2 prime had the eject button working.