2D Artwork: G1 Optimus Prime Poster I Made.

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by OZEL, Oct 26, 2006.

1. OZEL

OZEL Active Member

I did this poster as sort of a tribute to the old-school Transformers I grew up with. I figured I should post it somewhere where it'd get some real appreciation. I hope you all enjoy!

The original is 16.5" x 10.5 and is entirely digital. I did a pencil sketch of Prime and scanned the sketch as my basis for the final version. I must admit, however, that the sketch was done quite hastily and lacks of of the three-dimensional soundness of the final digital version.

I constructed Prime in Photoshop by creating planierly streched grid maps of various kinds as a skafolding to create the final pic over. There are a couple of places where the perspective is slightly jinky but I think that works well overall.

Even though I chose to render the drawing as though it were an animation cell, I chose to draw the toy version of G1 Prime instead of the cartoon version. I did this because there are some interesting and wierd details in the toy that never translated to the cartoon (and subsequent cartoon based figures) that I wanted to shed new light on.

As for the background, it is entirely painted in Photoshop using lasso and brush tools. I did screen caps for color reference (and to reference the crashed ship/mountain look). In fact, everything save for the sky is done with the cartoons color pallet -- including Spike and Sparkplug.

I had to actually go back and reconstruct the old style logo too. I couldn't find a high-resolution version of the logo but desperately wanted to have it in there. The logo was actually the easiest thing in the poster to make -- go figure.

Some details I added: In the first story arc of the cartoon, "More Than Meets the Eye," the only real American landmark that's refered to is Sherman Dam. So, I gave Prime a Nebraska liscense plate. The plate is of the design that ran from '84-'87 and has September '84 tabs (The year and month of the first episode's showing).
    Also, I used the blank brand area to display the fake brand "Cyberbilt." I chose this because, if you do a little research on google image search, the toy was distinctly based on a Peterbilt cabover semi (not a Frieghtliner of Mac Truck). The bumper, side-by-side headlights, and the stripe are all dead giveaways.

That about does it for what's up with the pic. Now look at it. :p 

-Otha Zackariah Edward Lohse

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2009
  2. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hi OZEL. Great to see a new member posting here in the FanArt forum. Thats a fantastic poster you have made. The background makes me think of the old G1 cartoon. The style you went for with Prime and the humans goes well with the background. I love your rendition of Prime. Its rare to see fanart based off the actual G1 toy of Prime, and to have it look awesome as well. I look forward to more of your work in the future. :thumb 

3. OZEL

OZEL Active Member

Thanks much! I'm actually thinking of doing a Bumble-Bee in the same vein. And I I do that then maybe a Wheeljack and Jazz . . . it could never en.

4. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Nice!!!!
    although Spike looks like Eric Froman for "That's 70's show".

I like it a lot.

5. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's beautiful man!

6. littleiron

littleiron Little I.N.S.A.N.E IroN

News Credits:
    Awesome

Just one thing: the characters seem like falling. They would be more in balance if you rotate them clockwise a little.

7. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    wow! nice piece of Art! Great work! Hope I could do a thing like that.

8. Absurdicus

Absurdicus Ridiculous G2 Combiner

I wasn't sure what to expect, but WOW this thing is amazing. I love it! You might be able to make some cash doing box art pics for people's custom TF's. I'd look into it - thats an amazing Optimus! Saved to my HD for sure!

9. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Well-Known Member

Nice poster.

10. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    That's awesome.

11. optimusprimus

optimusprimus Mastermind of Gundams

Sweeet... n_n Looks great, OZEL.

12. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    *saves*

Very nice, man!!! and welcome to TFW2005!

13. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

Wow, what a way to make an entrance! Your work is great. Keep it up and give us more.

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    wow. thats really good!

kudos for referencing the toy design.