Customs: g1 optimus prime help

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Dayvcon, May 11, 2006.

1. Dayvcon

Dayvcon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    hi,i want to attempt my first custem. I want to make Dead Prime and i have a G1 prime junker and i would like to know
    is there a way to take off G1 optimus prime's front grill (i want to replace it with another one)
    also is there a way to remove his legs at the top joint (because one of the legs keeps kicking back due to it being warn out)

Any links, detailed info, and pics would be much appreciated.

Thanks and God Bless,
    Dayv

2. Dayvcon

Dayvcon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    anyone?

3. David

David . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  4. Acadian Prime

Acadian Prime Well-Known Member

I'm looking at my reissue prime now and if you want to remove the grill, I'd suggest you start by removing the bolts in the seats and the bolts on either sides hidden by the dicast cab (open the cab to see them). The torso looks like it would split in two halves (upper and lower). This may be the way to remove the diecast cab section as well. After that there are at least two bollts, maybe more, holding the lower half together. This may be the way to remove the grill and bumper assembly and give you a good idea on how the metal rod holds the legs to the hips. You may have to tap that rod out to detach the legs.

I'd be carefull about small parts flying out. And study how they go together. I learned that the hard way when I took Prime's arms apart to replace the smoke stacks. Long story short, I had to replace a small spring that went flying to parts unknown. I never tried to take Prime apart this way, but IMO this looks like the way to go about it. Good luck

5. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Hey man. I missed this thread when you started it, sorry.

I have messed around with taking apart Optimus Prime and this is what I've found -

The main axle, at the front of the cab, is the key to the main section of G1 Prime. Removing that main axle allows you to get access to the two hip pivot locations and to pull apart the two lower sections of the cab.

Now, here's the problem I encountered - I tried repainting a G1 Prime before I knew about the "hot pin" technique, discussed here:

http://www.tfmaster.com/articles_pin.php

Now, the "hot pin" technique - using the soldering iron to heat the pin and then pull it out - is one process I've never used on a G1 toy, so I don't know if the 80's era plastic will hold up as well as current plastics.

However, I'd say it's your safest bet when it comes to pulling out that main axle. Hammering away at that main axle with a nail is, in my opinion, your fastest way to shattering old plastic.

If I remember correctly, the rest of Prime comes apart pretty easily with a screwdriver and some time.

Best of luck.

6. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Agree w/ AP & Ops. Could'nt have given better advice if I tried.

7. Goliath2k

Goliath2k New Member

I know this is an old post. But figured I would post what I found in case someone else looks for it I was looking to do the same by replacing the Grill and a leg (which is a whole other matter.). On the left side of Op. (Your right..) There's a small screw hole. I over looked it. That will allow you to replace it.