2D Artwork: G1 Optimus My Way

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by OZEL, Nov 21, 2006.

1. OZEL

OZEL Active Member

Alright, I know I'm gonna get a lot of haters talking about how boxy or something this looks. I'm also expecting a lot of Michael Bay comments. So, let it be known that a) I really, really hate Michael Bay's design for Optimus in the upcoming live action film. I understand that he needed to make the Transformers more of a tangible sci-fi story but I don't think that he needed to lose the charm of all of the previous versions. And b) I went to great lengths to redesign Optimus Prime so that he turns into a very realistic classic cabover truck yet transforms into a very poseable robot. Not only that, this Prime's driver's cab stays in tact when he becomes a robot yet he also has a Matrix compartment. So, if he's too boxy for you aesthetically, keep that in mind.

The truck I've used as a base is the Peterbilt 352H. This truck has an extended rear cab, which I made some great use of. I basically have it so that the hull of the cab folds out on the front and the back and then the inner torso bits and arms spin forward and the cab goes to the back. After the switch happens, the hull modifies and recloses. The gun is even stored back there in two parts along side of the head. It's pretty hard to describe but even more insane to draw -- trust me, I tried.

For his robot mode I actually went and looked at real humanoid robots like the Asimo and the Shadow Dexterous Robot Hand. So, if you combine the soundness of those designs with the idea that the Transformers employ some hyper-futuristic tech, this prime makes more sense than most (in my opinion).

On the drawings themselves, I hand drew the line-art on bristol board and then scanned them. My biggest mistake is that I forgot the antenna on the vehicle mode -- otherwise I think I did pretty well at keeping the features consistent in both modes.

The background was painted in Photoshop in separate pieces and then brought together. I was going to do a badlands highway background for the vehicle (that's why the treads are blurred) but decided to skip it in the end. Maybe I'll come back to it later but the background for the bot mode was enough to wear me out for a bit.

Well, I hope some of you guys dig it. It took a lot of time to create.

Otha Zackariah Edward Lohse
    Minneapolis, MN USA

1) Optimus Bot-Form: http://www.modurndae.com/myoptimusbot_wbg_01.jpg
    2) Optimus Truck-Form: http://www.modurndae.com/myoptimusrig_01.jpg

3) Bumble-Jumper: http://www.modurndae.com/bumblejumper_01.jpg

P.S. You guys should check out the rest of my site too, if'n you're just generally interested in cool art. The Transformers stuff is all for fun and experimentation but what I really do is there.

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    dude thats extreme!

i'm not really feeling it but i love these different looks youre giving us. keep it up!

3. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    pretty good! Nice work! Keep it up! I really know how you feel about the movie designs. I really hate it when they went to the realism concept and not the sci-fi one. If they had done it Sci-fi then we could have seen the original G1 forms and not those I don't know what you call them. But hey, let's see after 7/7/7.
    You need to bulk up on the shoulders and delts area but otherwise, excellent. : )

4. Trypitcon

Trypitcon No, I can't spell.

wow you sure went to a lot of effort. Some nice detailed work there. :thumb 

5. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    That's incredible!

6. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
  7. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Wow, your style is really really ridiculously similar to a guy who used to post here... not sure if he still does. What was his name... Prowl somethingorother? He did all those "movie" style pix of G1 characters....

8. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

OZEL,

First of all I want to applaud what you've done here. This is really amazing work. Not only have you addressed many of the functional shortcomings of Prime, but you've taken liberties and modified an age old design; that's something you rarely see in the Transformers fan art world. Often times, doing it differently is considered doing it "wrong". So my hat goes off to you.

However, if you're really trying to create a viable alternative to ILM's Prime, I hope you don't mind some constructive feedback: ;) 

1. What you have done with the arms and stomach is fantastic. This Prime looks like he could actually hold that gun with one hand and reload it with the other. Absolutely brilliant work there on overcoming a common physical obstacle traditional designs usually carry. However, if I'm understanding the transformation correctly it appears the cab's doors are unusable. ILM had the limitation of creating designs that could be mistaken for real vehicles by the drivers, as that's what the story calls for. Most Transformers incarnations allow for humans to "ride inside 'em". I don't really have a suggestion for resolving this beyond using a different portion of the cab. But again, I may just be interpreting your transformation incorrectly.

2. I'm really glad you had the guts to give him skinny legs. While you've definitely got some mass there that's non-existant on a real truck, it's little enough to go unnoticed in truck mode thanks to the fenders and trailer hitch. Bravo there. However, it looks like you drew in some kind of action figure ball joint at the hips. Without someone going in there and posing his legs for him, it doesn't appear the mechanics are in place for him to move on his own. I think you'd have to address that with some kind of piston or gear-based alternative.

3. Do the gas tanks collapse in upon themselves when transforming from truck to robot? Because they appear significantly smaller in the robot mode. Perhaps it's just an optical illusion.

4. I'm unsure what you're doing with his back, put it appears there's a whole lotta cab back there, to the extent that he'd topple over backwards. If that's the case, he's definitely going to have some weight distribution issues, and it appears highly unlikely those legs could support the mass of the cab. Prime's going to have a horrible case of arthritis in the knees! My suggestion would be to move some of the mass of the cab to the back of the legs during the transformation. You could possibly turn it inside out to hide the red paint. I know that's far easier said that done, but I believe it's a necessary evil for the theoretical believable animation he's intended for :) 

5. His head is close enough to the edge of his chest that he could actually see a human standing in front of him. A very big thumbs up to you sir :thumb 

6. This isn't a necessity, but I would consider giving him some sort of spine-bending ability. Perhaps if he hinged just above the truck grill? See that Revoltech Convoy toy as a rough example of the intended outcome.

Overall, fantastic work. You've definitely come closer to a live-action ready Transformer than anyone before you. Well, except ILM, of course :p 

Any chance we'll see a revised version? :D  Please? pretty please?! :) 

9. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That is a great redesign for G1 Prime. My only concern for it, is that the arms look too weak compared to his torso. Besides that, its an awesome job. :thumb 

10. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I like the artwork and agree with Cory Bauer's comments, but there's one point of critism that he forgot: It's ugly. Sorry, but it looks like a box with thin arms and legs. It's as if you have a human who has a normal head and stomache, but whose arms and legs have been picked to the bones.

11. PrivateRandom

PrivateRandom Ruthless,cunning and sexy

Looking sharp!

Any plans for future own interpertations?

12. Paper Mariowned

Paper Mariowned Well-Known Member

Okay...that made my jaw drop. So frikkin sweet, and the gun *mwah*

Keep it up!

13. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I think it looks pretty spiffy. Nice update with a classic look.

14. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Interesting.:thumb 

15. OZEL

OZEL Active Member

Thanks a lot for recognizing what I was going for Cory. And constructive criticism and commentary is preferable, actually. I find it's a little too rare on these boards to see people employing a conciliatory thought process when addressing their opinions of these fictional characters which are essentially engineering nightmares come to life.

Thanks for the comments on the arms and stomach! A couple of people have complained about his arms being to thin though and I'd like to address that issue. Firstly, robot might does not equate to mass the same way it does in humans. If one looks at say, a shovel crane, it's the cable pullies and hydrolics -- very proportionately small structures -- which are the "muscle" behind the opperation.

Secondly, bulkier arms simply cannot fit inside of the structure of the vehicle form. I weighed many factors when designing that aspect because, like so many others, I like the more flamboyant mecha/anime looking bots like Gundam. However, because of spacial restrictions and factoring in things like meachanical soundness, bulkier arms weren't an option. Further, there's really no way to have logically functional Transformers be as simple and bulky as the original G1 cartoon and still have them turn into contemporary vehicles. What I'm going for with this is more hard sci-fi than anime. Sorry.

And yes, being able to actually put the gun together and otherwise manipulate it (maybe aiming with both hands) was also a huge factor in my design. I wanted to do something as functionally bipedal as possible.

Ah, science.

The doors are in fact usable, but only in vehicle mode. The rear of the cab, after folding down to allow for the torso spin, spreads from the middle and then retracts over the now reversed front-cab (with the mirrors folded flush). This way the big empty area that once housed the head, forearms, and gun parts wouldn't be so bulky in the robot mode -- more backpack than Quasimoto hump.

Also, I was actually thinking that this would be a fantastic way for a human character to be protected from danger in a battle situation. There could even be a high-tech HUD in there. It would rock as a plot element.

Thanks for the props on the skinny legs. And yes, to be just like a real semi they'd need to be even thinner. The rear hitch area of a semi is super narrow -- like four feet.

--

When designing all of the joint construction for my rendition of Prime I mainly looked at two real and functioning robots; the Honda Motors ASIMO and the Shadow Dexterous Hand. The ASIMO is the most human-like robot ever made and took nearly two decades to develope. Further, it employs neither gears nor hydraulics ("pistons") -- it's all done with servomotors and micro-servos.

There’s even more advanced actuation in the Shadow Dexterous Hand. This thing doesn’t even use any sort of typical machine actuators – it uses something called air muscles. They’re basically a series of air bladders that use vacuum pressure and inflation to push and pull like real human tendons.

Beyond that there’s also the EAP Electropolymer Muscle. This stuff isn’t even in wide usage yet but it’s a high density polymer that responds to electro-impulse, much like real muscle. This stuff actually has more potential power per volume than real muscle.

Now, these three samples of actuation technology are ones man has made already – and none of them use delicate gears or pistons. Supposing that the Transformers are far more advanced than we mere humans, their form of actuation would probably be nothing like anything we’ve thought up. This makes the possibilities for joint configuration to be fairly wide open. I chose the simpler fulcrum joints because I like the machine look.

And as for the ball joint thing? Go look here (http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/asimo-legs2.jpg ) at ASIMO’s hip joints – they’re self-contained ball joints. The way it works is that they’re manipulated by tiny servos inside the thigh. No need for external pistons or giant hands to pose them. Elegant.

That’s just poorly executed foreshortening on my part. I really just pooped the semi drawing out with little regard to being fully accurate. It’s also missing the antenna and the license plate mount is too small. Shoot me.

As said previously, the rear cab spreads and then compresses in over the switched-up bits from the front cab. Weight distribution problem solved. And though your suggestion for the potential rear leg plates is great, I think I’ll stick with the way I’ve already chosen.

Yeah, the head can be that far forward because the front switches place with the back so it doesn’t need to rest inside the driver’s seat. Again, I really fought to find a way to get him to be functionally humanoid and a good view of the ground is necessary for that.

Oh, I’d love to do that! I really don’t know how to logically fit it in though. As is, my scheme does allow the waist to pivot and that’s one point over many a past Prime. Maybe I if get a better computer and start playing with 3D CG I can come up with something.

Yes. Not really soon but yes – I plan on doing a revised version. I even thought up a way to make his shoulder plates more regal without sacrificing anything – in fact, it de-complicates some of what I’ve already designed.

On top of that, I’m going to try and do a rough step-by-step of his transformation. It’s a truly daunting task but one I think is going to be worth it in the end.

Again, thanks for giving me the kind of critique I was really looking for and I’m glad my design fired you up so much! More soon!

-Otha

16. OZEL

OZEL Active Member

I'm thinking of doing Starscream, Megatron (as an M1 Abrahms), Jazz, and possibly revisting Cliffjumper and Bumblebee. I have some ideas for the joints and feet that really change the dynamic of my original takes. Oh, and my dumb@ss self made Cliff the wrong vehicle. Geh.

I also might redo Soundwave but not as an audio device. I'd go with the spying aspect though and maybe use the old SR71 Blackbird Spyplane. He'd be pretty gigantic in scale though. Maybe not.

17. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Why not a FBI-esque spyvan for Soundwave?

18. OZEL

OZEL Active Member

Ooo, good call.

19. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

the only thing that really bothers me is the legs seem too far apart.

Other than that, Very Prowler74-esque

20. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    GRRRR!! I can't see it!! reload... nothing...

where did the pic go? I'm super interested in seeing it.