G1 optimus alt mode- what is correct?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by convoymagnus, May 14, 2011.

?

Wha type of truck is optimus prime?

1. White freightliner semi

80.0%
  2. Mac semi

20.0%
  1. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    So you're saying that this:
    [​IMG]

Is the same as this:
    [​IMG]

Which is different from this:
    [​IMG]

Which is the same as this:
    [​IMG]

2. convoymagnus

convoymagnus Yeshua Is Mashiach.

Ebay:
    That Volvo looks nothing like Optimus to me! Thanks for that pic nevermore!

3. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This article disagrees with you.

Noticias - YaHobby.com - La tienda en lnea actual de Transformers Juguetes, Juegos de Gundam modelo y ms

4. GPTF01

GPTF01 Well-Known Member

yeah i would put money on hi not being a VOLVO lol

the white frieghtliner is pretty dead on though (minor details are diffrent but it's a toy)

5. convoymagnus

Ebay:
    ?????????????????

6. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well to be fair, those road commander trucks (google "road commander cabover" look a lot like Optimus Prime & Ultra Magnus, and one could argue that since that company was apparently bought out by Volvo, Prime & Magnus could easily have been designed & molded after a "Volvo" Cabover truck (at least in part), rather than the better known frieghtliner trucks.

That article was pretty damn convincing though, but it's still a theory.

7. convoymagnus

Ebay:
    Well after this post, I searched more, and found out an interesting piece of information:

White motor company distributed Freightliner Trucks, and has its own White road commander truck line, apparently in the 80's White went bankruptcy and VOLVO bought part of it, could this be the reason Driftx3 knows them as volvo? who knows , maybe the parts for these are cataloged as Volvo.?!

8. Nevermore

News Credits:
    It still doesn't explain why he claims Movie Prime, a Peterbilt 379, is a Freightliner FL86, aka G1 Prime's alt mode.

9. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Bingo.

I mean, from a parts person's perspective, half of the Dodge Sprinter is a Mercedes, much of the Pontiac Vibe is a Toyota, and commercial grade vehicles can be a lot more wanky when it comes to sourcing. Now, while I'm not gonna touch what any of this has to do with the Movie Prime's alt mode (I'd sooner argue that Frenzy is red like Prime at this point than go there), it could like you say, explain where Driftx3's strong argument comes from. I'm hoping he comes back here to follow up, but it's a good theory.

Also for what it's worth, I've spent the last majority of my life believing that Prime was a Volvo (without ever really looking into it), so now seemed like as good of a time as any to have my way with Google.

10. antapp

antapp Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Optimus - PIANO MODE!!!!

(Just trying to lighten the darkest hour....or something)

11. C. Wallace

C. Wallace Freelance Artist

Not "Bay" as in the Michael Bay movie...He meant "bay" as in the repair bay/trailer.

Powered Convoy/Optimus Prime was based on the COE White Freightliner. I thought this was common info, as it's been kicking around for years. There is NO WAY it's based off the 1970's Volvo proper. You can of course compare it to the '70's White Volvo COE since many seemed to used the same body styles as the Freightliner.

12. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    What was G.1 Ultra Magnus then ?....

j/k

Well isn't there some kind of license label/marking om the MP-01 box stating what kind of truck at least this version is ?

13. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Are you sure? In that case I blame him for using really unconventional terminology that requires deciphering.

14. MotormasterK100

MotormasterK100 New Member

Not to muddy the waters any, but I thought I would post here real quick about some of my experiences. When our project first began, there was some talk (and still is some) of creating a G1 themed Optimus Prime or Ultra Magnus. Ultimately, Motormaster won out on the character we decided to build, but there was some pretty intense research that went on in the early stages of what would become"project Motormaster". The "White-Freightliner" relationship ended in 1974 when Freightliner became a free standing company, thus the "White-Freightliner" badging was dropped the same or next model year. Since the 1982 Diaclone line is where the G1's owe their lineage to, it would make sense that Takara had gotten their "templates" for what vehicle modes they would use from somewhat current vehicles, but not necessarily... I suppose it is up to your personal opinion whether "White-Freightliner" or "Freightliner" is more appropriate. Had "Project Motormaster" been instead, "Project Prime, or Magnus" the target truck was a 1983 or a couple of years previous Freightliner FLA 86.

Now onto the whole Volvo/White "Road Commode" as they are lovingly referred to as...

Scale is something that Takara/Hasbro did a fairly decent job at when creating alt modes for the G1s. (Not toy vs toy scale, since that has been a whole can of worms with Motormaster's toy being smaller than Primes... sigh)

But when it came to the Kenworth K100 Aerodyne and the Motormaster toy of a KW K100 Aerodyne, the scale was very very very very close. One of the reasons that our real KW was not wheelbase stretched, as is very popular to do in the show truck cirucuit, was the factory wheel base matched the toy wheel base dead on in scale. The Aerodyne sleeper was offered in two sizes, shallow and deep, which ours and the toy are the deep 112" Aerodyne. As I said earlier, when we were still looking into potential trucks for the Prime/Magnus/Motormaster project, we looked at multiple FLA Freightliners. The scale on these for the cab heights and depths were spot on, not to mention the fine details such as the "Freightliner" emblem shroud on the toy and the segmented windshield that matches the toy that Freightliner was easily noticed for. When a road commode and a freightshaker cabover are sitting side by side there are considerable differences between the two. The Freightliner immediately will garner more attention from the owner operator for 1) its name recognition and 2) for the slightly more "classy" look. Why do I know this? There was a customer White road commander at the shop for months... And the shop also owns a White-Freightliner tow truck for moving wrecked or burned husks around that come in for insurance claims. Trust me when I say that there is a only one similarity between the two of them other than being COE (cab over engine) designs... they both are in poor condition... and thats it.

I don't want to offend anyone, so what I have said is strictly the opinions of myself and the Decepticon Motormaster team... but the accepted notions in the show truck world, where I spend much of my and my teams time is that modern Bayverse Prime is a slightly modified Peterbilt 379, G1 Prime/Magnus is a Freightliner FLA86 and Motormaster is a Kenworth K100 Aerodyne. We get pounded with questions from other truck restoration experts on character ideas and the talk of if we or one of our friends is going to do the G1 Prime/Magnus regularly.

The one that I am trying to figure out now is what kind of truck is Onslaught... or Octane...

15. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Its not just you. He definitely write 'Bay Prime' in his second post.

16. Nevermore

News Credits:
    He also distinguishes between "G1" and "Bay". If he was referring to the trailer, that'd be a very, very weird way of naming the individual components. (Besides, the trailer certainly is not a Freightliner FL86.)

So I'd say you are incorrect in defending Driftx3, C. Wallace.

17. foL

foL Terrorcon

Yes he was.

For a while, he and primal were one and the same.

18. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

At the risk of sounding like a cyber nerd... "Ditto."

19. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It might help if you went back to the original post and edited it to use capitol letters properly. There is a difference between a "white Freightliner" and a "White Freightliner", and you said "white freightliner", which is not correct at all. They need to know if you mean "White", a proper noun or "white' ,an adjective.