G1 OP with T2 Copyright might be fake

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Optimal Fan, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Optimal Fan

Optimal Fan Paxion

About 6 months ago I bought a "G1" OP that looked a little good to be true. I posted here on the forums asking for help but all I got where links to KO sites that told me how to identify the box, when I needed the action figure because I had no box to compare. I looked up the copyright stamp--it seemed to check out. I have a G1 OP re-issue and there were dramatic differences, so that was out of the picture. I told people on the forum about the copyright stamp and they assured me it is legit:
    [​IMG]

Well, through the Junkion exchange I bought a G1 OP junker, I made a few comparisons, and conducted some research.
    Original
    [​IMG]

Original
    [​IMG]

Suspected KO (Notice the holes)
    [​IMG]

"KO" is top on and Original on bottom (Notice the outside and inside of the leg)
    [​IMG]

Original is on top and "KO" on bottom (Notice the stickers)
    [​IMG]

"KO" on left and Original on right (Notice smoke stack holes)
    [​IMG]

Last, the fists "KO" on top and Original on bottom
    [​IMG]

In addition, the wheels on the cabs and trailers are almost spot on accurate (check pic of cabs to see wheels) and the G1 gun fits in both fist types. Also, stickers on my suspected KO are a little less shiny than that of the Original. Unfortunately, I see sellers saying their trailer has a copyright stamp as a selling point, however, it might be misleading. If anybody here has some insight on what we have here... please post. I know transformers where made all over the world in different years, but I do not think that molds or sticker placement were any different depending on location.

****Willing to edit anything or get more pics*****

2. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    that stamp is on the launcher part of the trailer right?, could it be a g2 tab on a g1 trailer?

3. Optimal Fan

Optimal Fan Paxion

I'll check when I get home.

4. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

you know what i am thinking, when i was young, 15, i swapped parts from my breaking g2, with a junk g1. the cab part. the red matched pretty well, i mean. so could it just be a part swap?

i mean, both cabs look legit to me. i mean my g2's, i own two g2's, both have legs that look like the top one, more then the bottom one. g1 optimus prime has so many different varations, that it is possible that you have a legit one. even with the fists.

5. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

@Optimal Fan

The one you bought looks to be a KO, however detecting KO Optimus Primes is IMO very hard.
    In all respects they look positively the same. I think there are several KOs, if you've got a good one,
    there are very few telltale signs you have a KO.
    I have one MIB one that's nigh on impossible to distinguish from the real one, other than the box.
    It seems people focus on telling MISB KOs, rather than loose ones.
    That's what makes your detective work difficult I think.

Hope that helps somewhat :thumbs2: 

6. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait, so did it come with packaging? the 'KO' looks exactly like G2 Ops. Especially the cab... is the reissue of prime based on the G2 version or G1?

7. Optimal Fan

Optimal Fan Paxion

@Dolza Khyron
    So there were variations on the actual molds for the plastic? I used http://destrong.freewebsitehosting.com/stampings.html (WARNING: Lots of pop-ups!) to help me out with the stamps and http://www.oocities.com/futuristgroup/vrubby.html

@TGping
    -It did not come with any packaging.
    -My G2 gun does not fit either G1 fists.
    -On my G2 the silver sticker goes all around like the junker OP.
    -Comparing my "KO", junker original, 2004 American re-issue, and my G2, the legs are all different.

Can anyone check their Zhong Jin KO or countefeit for the above pictured differences?

8. Optimal Fan

Optimal Fan Paxion

Can someone plz move this to the KO sticky?

9. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    so many ko and so little time to find out all the differences. :) 

10. DarthMagnificus

DarthMagnificus Banned

your trailer is a KO...i just looked at my KO black optimus prime trailer and it has the same stamp and the same little holes in the bottom of the trailer bed area like your picture above...dunno about the tf though...have not had the chance to transform mine to check the legs..

11. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure that if the trailer tab was a G2 that it would have a stamp of 1992,my G2 trailer is stamped with 1992 and not with the 1980 stamp.

12. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Early KO Optimus has a France stamp. Later run KO Optimus has a Japan stamp, which makes the stamp look identical to the real thing.

13. Optimal Fan

Optimal Fan Paxion

Ok, so I am chalking this up a fake. Thanks to all the forum members who helped! :) 

14. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    It's Prime Time!

The Variquest has a "T", a "T2", as well as a "T4" listed in their trailer listing, but I don't know what to make of everything...

15. Optimal Fan

Optimal Fan Paxion

Dude, thanks! The reading is a little dense for the topic but it definitely cleared up these some things. I knew there were variations but, damn, that's a great deal more than I thought.

No longer chalking this one as a counterfiet...going back on my maybe side.

16. Optimal Fan

Optimal Fan Paxion

A year later and I am wanting to revisit this topic. Anyone have any clues to what is what?

17. convoymagnus

convoymagnus Yeshua Is Mashiach.

Ebay:
    I would say it is legit, because of the tires look original, I have a KO black prime and the tires are a gloss chewy hard plastic and not very rubber like the originals(ok there is the fact that the seller could have swapped the tires with originals - as I did to mine-, but that is something is just a theory) look at the tires, and look at the screws, I have a prerub prime a reissue prime two boxed different year reissue prime, jafcon prime and three different verion Ultramagnus but from all of those the KO prime is the only one that has very shiny screw heads like stainless steel - but tends to rust lightlty, the others have an aluminum like finish and the rust is like a white powder, the rust on the KO screws is the traditional dark rust. here are some pics for reference, in all KO is left:

Tire finish
    [​IMG]

Screw finish compared with jafcon prime
    [​IMG]

screw finish comparison with pre-rub metal plates prime
    [​IMG]

Screw comparison with TF collection reissue prime
    [​IMG]