G1 Only Collectors

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by PyroniusRex, Jan 31, 2009.

1. PyroniusRex

PyroniusRex Banned

News Credits:
    How did you know I missed it?! I never said it. I caught some G1 eps,
    Beast Wars/Machines....

2. DJ Soundwave

DJ Soundwave Action Figure Master

1. Do you collect Universe and Classics?

What kind of question is that ? Universe and Classics are not G1 so therefore if some-one's a G1 "only" collector .....then they don't

2. Do you consider Takara's figures as genuine G1?

G1 Takara Figure's are .... there's no ifs ands or buts about it

3. Even though you say G1 only, does that also mean you collect G2, and Beast series?

What kind of question is that ? G2 and Beast Wars are not G1 so therefore if some-one's a G1 "only" collector .....then they don't .. if they call themself a G1 only collector then that's all they collect.

9. Do you buy the custom attachments for some of these figures, such as City Commander or accuracy enhancing stickers?

There are no Custom Attachments for G1 figures.

10. Which do you prefer Hasbro or Takara?

3. Alex5

Alex5 No Broken

Besides my childhood vintage G1 (I was born in '79 so placed perfectly to be bought lots of lovely toys during the eighties), 95% of my collection is Takara G1 reissues. I was bought the UK Marvel comic weekly, and my collecting is trying to flesh out those pages with their toy counterparts - I rarely go outside this continuity in my collecting. I am hoping one day they will have gotten through the whole G1 line in reissue form.
    A love of Robots in general means I occasionally pick up something from a modern line if it strongly appeals to me on a design/technical level (for example SOC Gunbuster, City Commander), and I have picked up most of the Masterpiece line (not overly interested in Seeker repaints).
    Beside this, I am still interested in 'modern' Transformers, but I don't spend money on it. That's as simply as I can put it. If I was rich perhaps I would, but I'm not. I don't consider series which I have little connection to (BW, TFA etc) worthless or criticise as they bring new fans in and in the big picture that gets me my 'new old' toys.
    Intro over, that's where I'm coming from.

'Collect', no. I got Magnus for the City Commander armour which led me on a pokemon-style chase for that mold, but that's it. I do like the Henkei Cyclonus, if the was an equally good Scourge I would have bitten.

Do you mean series' like Masterforce? They are G1 insofar as the continuity goes - I'm not going to argue.

3. Even though you say G1 only, does that also mean you collect G2, and Beast series?

No.

4. How often are you tempted to break your law?

Tempted frequently, I do like many of the new figures. But I don't 'need' them (most of the time).

5. Is it an obligation or is it just you think it's the only good series?

It's the only (Transformer) series that had such a dramatic impact on my childhood and gives me the nostalgic hit you need from time to time when you get older.

6. How often do you break your law?

Beyond G1 figures, I have Alternators Jag Ravage and all (released) versions of the Classics Optimus Prime mold (+ City Commander armour). The Masterpiece series I consider 'G1 perfect' (I would not buy a Masterpiece BW figure). I would like a Universe Galvatron at some point.
    So not often.

7. Do you think any other figures are good but still not get them?

Yes.

8. Do you ever want a figure other than G1 but feel it's not right to get it?

It's not like I'm cheating on a wife or something - if I want and can afford it I would probably buy it.

9. Do you buy the custom attachments for some of these figures, such as City Commander or accuracy enhancing stickers?

MP Megs add-ons, JustToys Prime trailer, City Commander and shortly Shadow Commander.

I only have a few Hasbro items. Takara do stuff for G1 collectors far more than Hasbro.

4. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:

YES

YES. If you know your TF history you know that Takara IS transformers. not the other way around.

Only g1 molds and only the ones I like.

Meaning? I shall assume lines outside of G1. Like BT/ALT, Masterpiece, Music Label, etc. sure if the mold strikes me as being great.

I have to say it is a remembrance of my childhood. I want the toys I had as a kid or couldnt have like fort max.

huh? didnt we have this question?

No. as I said. if I like the mold then I will get it.

Nope.

Yep. If the quality is good and it is badassed like City Commander.

Takara. Better Paain apps and better packaging. Plus learned to read some japanese to help with my collecting.

5. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i WOULD be a g1 only collector, but g1's are so expensive lol heck even the reissues are!

6. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

I'd rather buy a couple G1 TF's over the course of a year than 20 crappy Animated junk toys ANY DAY!

G1= Platinum or Gold! Hell, have you seen gold prices lately? It's up there with Platinum at $927./oz*......... Platinum's at $987.*

Animated= Pot Metal (Pot Plastic?) :lol 

(*at the time of this post)

7. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I have a few questions for G1 only collectors and I'm hoping a few of you will answer, G1 collectors only not: "Sometimes I go for G1..."

Yes and yes.

Absolutely.

No G2 and a little BW.

Why restrict yourself if you like a figure from another line?

Nostalgia and interest drive my G1 collection.

Not a alot the last few years. I've sold off a bunch of the other lines.

Cybertron stuff is really good, but I didn't care too much for the mythology of the series with Energon and Armada. Hence my purge of those figures.

Of course not.

City Commander was a very special case. It totally fits in with Classics and enhances the Ultra Magnus figure we got, which otherwise was a plastic bin casuality beforehand.

A little of both. Hasbro always has the advantage due to price.

8. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    Im a G1 pureist. I collect everything up to the Headmasters (rebirth cartoon) I keep to the rule, if it wasn`t in the show it doesn`t end up in the collection.

I have grown to Love TFA and that has its own cabinet and I do also have a Beast Wars Megatron and Movie Starscream

Lets face it G1 is the dogs bollocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. LifePincher

You call yourself a G1 "purist", but love Animated and go on to state that G1 is as bad as a Dog's Ass? You my friend, are no G1 Purist! You went to the Dark side of Crappy Animated bearded robots w/long chins Junk.
    If I had 10 thumbs--- :thumbdown  :thumbdown  :thumbdown  :thumbdown  :thumbdown  :thumbdown  :thumbdown  :thumbdown  :thumbdown  :thumbdown 

May your cabinet of Animated Garbage go up in flames.

10. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I collect Henkei, which is both :thumbs2: 

Of course.

No G2 and definitely no Beast Wars.

It's not a law. I have a few bits and pieces from RID, the Movie Line, Titaniums etc. But G1 is the one I "collect" (meaning an intention to get a big lot of 'em).

Not an obligation. It's not the only good series, but its the only series (well, and Henkei) that I have any strong interest in.

Laws are for society. In the collecting world, anything goes!

There are lots of figures - both Transformers and other lines I also dabble in e.g. Star Wars, MASK etc- that I'd consider good or even very good. But I'm realistic: I can't afford every "good" toy in the world.

These are bizarre questions. Do you think G1 fans are all repressed Armada lovers or something!?!

Nope.

I see them essentially as the same thing. They are "Giver Of Transformers". It's all good, and I have never understood the fandom's obsession with trying to rate one over t'other.

Please help myself and others have a greater understanding of this.

Um, okay...?

11. PyroniusRex

PyroniusRex Banned

News Credits:
    You sir, have just made an enemy, oh and the only people who don't like Animated haven't given it a try! Once you go Animated, all others are eliminated! (not really I just mean you get addicted)

12. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    It's funny, I love G1 to death yet I own less than 10 G1 toys. But if there wasn't so many new toys released all the time, I would definitely have more G1.

13. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    What are you on about a dogs ass? G1 is great and I love it, but im not narrow minded enough to discount other things completely. I think alternators are shit, but I don`t flame others for having them. Animated is as close to the fun I remeber of G1 and it shows through the show that the people who work on it remeber it the same way a lot of us do.

14. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

how do you know they are junk if you've never owned one? lol

15. LifePincher

Anyone that knows G1, knows that Animated is Crapimated. No need to own something that's junk to know it's junk.

16. PyroniusRex

PyroniusRex Banned

News Credits:
    It is literally the only TF cartoon, that's what it's trying to be too, a cartoon! Plus those odd forms make for awesome transforming sequences.
    And it is in the future! With futuristic vehicles not '80s vehicles in 2006!

17. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

See responses below:

18. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, so far only ones that are decent g1 recreations and a couple beast wars

Absolutely, especially vintage diaclone and microman!! As someone else already said, no reissues

No G2, don't see the point and hate neon. Beast series, a few, mostly because of they tie in to the g1 cartoon timeline.
    4. How often are you tempted to break your law? Not much, ever so far

As others have said, it's all about watching the cartoon and starring at the catalog and wishing I had them all, as a kid.

No law really, just where my disire lies. I am closely going to watch the movie contructicons for instance. I could see that being my first movie toy.

Sure, it's about money, time, priority. G1 and anything G1 is just higher on the list than most cause it's had 25+ years to fester!

Not really, I just focus on g1

Yep, stickers for alternators, energon cubes, quintessons, ratchet/iron hide heads, etc.

hmm, tough call. I highly value the g1 hasbro line but find with masterpieces, alternators, universe, etc that Takara, on average, has better versions. and I really want some vintage pre-transformer takara stuff.

19. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    no. your being closeminded. ive seen all of g1 and every other transformers series. ( japan ones excluded). i love g1 to death, but the toys are inferior to well, everything else, especially animated and classics, those are designed so well! each one is a masterpiece! i dont see why u have to have g1 toys just cuz u like g1 only. classics are just modernized g1!!!! better toys of the same characters, i find it crazy not to have them if u are a g1 fan. being just a g1 fan doesnt make u the best transformer fan. it means you liked 5/25 years of transformers.

so your 20% of a complete die hard fan of transformers

you may be a 100% g1 fan, but thats only part of the entire tfw

20. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I am a pure G1 collector, except Bruticus repaints but the animated toys are not bad and neither is classic and universe. I even like MPs but I dont buy any because as a true MIB:er, (inner bubble, box and such ) it cost money and I spend those on G1 stuff.

I do own most of the Binaltechs MIB because I really like them.