G1 on The Hub....any effect on Hasbro?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dex17113, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Dex17113

Dex17113 Well-Known Member

So here's some food for thought:

We've heard for some time that having the cassettes and a nice new Soundwave is something that Hasbro doesn't really want to do on the basis that kids today really wouldn't 'get' his choice of alt modes given that boom boxes aren't what they once were.

Okay...I always got that....

BUT.....

The put G1 back on the air exposing younger kids to these characters. So here's my question for discussion:

Do you think the fact that G1 is back on TV will alter the manner in which Generations/RTS/Classics/etc. are designed and released given that the original source material is once again actively being consumed by the current generation?

Dex

2. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Possibly, but I mean, they are giving us a good ammount of G1-related project, so I guess it was already planned.

3. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Probably no impact on the alts overall. It is on at a late time, so it's mostly if you happen to dvr it for your kids.

Now, the G1 revival figures of generations and RTS, well, as perceptor and Kup have shown, the alt can be anything and still look G1 magnificent. So bring on the Scion Soundwave!

4. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    how about how come instead of starting season 3 this week, they went back to the beginning?

5. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    That is a weak arguement by Hasbro to be honest. They are trying to maxamize sales by thinking that someone just wants another mold of a car.

I posted this somewhere else and might start a thread on it. Hasbro to me is retarded. Soundwave was based on the hottest thing at the time, the walkman.

OK, so what is the hottest thing of our time? The IPod/IPad/IPhone. Wow, how much damn imagination does it take to make a soundwave that turns into an IPod/IPad/IPhone.

Ok, so you ask about cassettes. That is an easy fix. Soundwave was able to make Energon cubes from thin air. So he cassettes are actually apps that are on the IPad/Iphone/IPad. So he can have bird app or something, and that pops out of his chest.

I just think their is no creativity any longer. Corporate greed killed everything. I don't want another damn car mold Hasbro/Takara. Use some freaking originality, god knows you have none lately.

6. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    A scion is creative though, especially if he has an opening trunk with DJ equipment like the modded one. Think about it, Rumble and Frenzy as djs at a soundwave tailgate party. That's just as awesome as Guitar LaserBeak.

Besides, the iPhone/Apple fad isn't the best choice all around. I do agree if they want to keep him a music device that's fine, but they can be more creative than that. Heck, if that's what they go for (music device) I'd rather have him be one giant speaker for a wall of sound. Or they could go scion triple changer, from scion with dj equipment to massive speaker mode. The animated one had a Speaker fan mode too that was pretty kicking. For added creativity, make laserbeak and buzzzaw the turntables/dj equipment that store in the trunk.

I personally think the entire Mp3 player route is just a cop out from being creative. It's the safe fallback that takes no forethought. With all the more refined music devices they could do of modded vehicles for example, there's a lot more playability and fun there than just a flat brick alt of an mp3 player/Phone.

7. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was wondering that myself. They are doing that with GI Joe as well

8. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

A] the show is on pretty late in most markets, so kids arent really being exposed to G1 in a large scale.

B] I think G1 being back on the air has already influenced the toyline.

The Blue Rumble release we're getting seems to be the result of the G1 series being back on the air.

9. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    these superflat devices you speak of would make a piss poor Soundwave. Remember, robot mode still needs to look cool. and Bird App? Seriously?

not trying to rain on you parade, but maybe this is why Soundwave was none of those things recently - they might have humored it for a bit until a design came out that looked like crap.

10. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Actually Soundwave was a mini cassette recorder, not a Walkman.

11. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I would argue that the IPhone 4 is no where close to being thin. There is more then enough room if you modeled it on that.

I started a thread on this, let's discuss there.

12. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    He was a walkman. That's why in many of his appearances he was used as such in the show, and thought of that as by spike in MTMTE. There's also another episode where he was used with a headset while hiding on a construction site.

13. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I'm not talking about how he was depicted on the show, which BTW wasnt very consistent.One episode he's Walkman size, the next hes a boom box.

The toy was based on the micro cassette recorder, not a Walkman.

Remember, unlike the TF cars, Soundwave was part of the Micro-man/change toyline.These toys were all designed to look and feel like real world devices, having the same size of their real world counterparts.

No walkman had tapes the size of Rumble and the others.

But micro cassette recorder's did.

And by the way, just look at the toy.
    [​IMG]

it says it right their on the side...

stereo
    micro cassette
    recorder

14. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not that it matters but he was not a Walkman. Walkman is a trademarked name and design owned by Sony. While Soundwave may have been a handheld device that played tapes, he wasn't a Walkman by definition. It's really just semantics. Check out this article where they describe him as 'Walkman-style'.

New Microman Series - Micro Change

15. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Okay valid point. Like Kleenex and tissues.

16. Alucard77

News Credits:
    It is like Kleenex and tissues. Q-Tips and Cotton swabs. The terms can now be interchangably as they are part of our lexicon.

It's like Googling. You may google on yahoo.

17. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Even the toy says its a micro cassette recorder.

18. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Leave it to the topic about soundwave, and anyway, his link is more accurate than yours, and it depends on if you go by show, hasbros intent, or original takara intent.

Otherwise Rumble and Frenzy would like words with you about their identity crisis.

19. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Hasbro's intent is irrelevant since they didnt design the original toy..

And how is his like more accurate??

I posted a pic of the toy itself, you cant get more accurate then that.His link called the toy "walky style" which isint an accurate term at all.
    Not the color debate??

20. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Come on, let's get real here. There is no point argueing who is right and wrong here. Nothing in G1 was consistant anyway.