G1 on DVD

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by CyberShadow, Apr 13, 2009.

1. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I remember watching the old G1 cartoons as a kid - the introduction of the Insecticons ("Now thats what I call going to defeat, from the feet"! Classic) and the birth of the Dinobots being highlights. Now, I know that I am setting myself up for disappointment but I thought that I would pick them up on DVD.

The trouble is, there seem to be lots of versions, lots of series, some series split over a couple of sets and some re-issues on the way.

So, does anyone have a recommendation for me in the UK as to which DVD set to pick up that has the very first series (at least) in a single set, and is there a re-issue that I should get/avoid?

Thanks.

2. Sten4sw

Sten4sw Active Member

As you've probably seen in the news, the first season is being re-released this summer, and the complete series will be out in a box set by the fall. I'd wait for those, they look extremely promising.

3. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    HMV have the Metrodome season boxsets for £5 each, all of G1 for £20, can't really go wrong there.

4. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    OK. I will have a look in HMV on my way home and see what they have. But, this is where it gets complicated. Looking on Amazon, and remembering that I am jumping into this all now, we have:

G1, season 1:
    Transformers - Season 1 [DVD]: Transformers: Amazon.co.uk: DVD

G1, season 2, which is split over two boxed sets:
    Transformers - Season 2 - Vol. 1 [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Frank Welker, Peter Cullen, Chris Latta, Corey Burton, John Stephenson, Dan Gilvezan, Casey Kasem, Michael Bell, Don Messick, Scatman Crothers, Ken Sansom, Gregg Berger, Michael J. Sullivan, Micha

And:
    Transformers - Season 2 - Vol. 2 [DVD]: Frank Welker, Peter Cullen, Chris Latta, Corey Burton, John Stephenson, Dan Gilvezan, Casey Kasem, Michael Bell, Don Messick, Scatman Crothers, Ken Sansom, Gregg Berger, Michael J. Sullivan, Michael Sullivan, P

And then, G1, seasons 3 and 4 are in a single boxed set:
    Transformers - Season 3 & 4 [DVD] [1984]: Frank Welker, Peter Cullen, Chris Latta, Corey Burton, John Stephenson, Dan Gilvezan, Casey Kasem, Michael Bell, Don Messick, Scatman Crothers, Ken Sansom, Gregg Berger, Michael J. Sullivan, Michael Sullivan,

Really? Is this right? And then, after we (UK) didnt get anything after season 4, the Japanese had further seasons:
    Transformers - Takara - The Complete Collection DVD: Amazon.co.uk: Transformers Takara: DVD

So, if I dont wait for the reissue, are these the entire series that I should get to have all the G1 cartoons?

I must be getting old, as this seems more confusing than it really needs to be! :dunce 

Thanks.

5. Cmdr Prime

Cmdr Prime co-Commander of Autobots TFW2005 Supporter

Here's another idea you could try Atomic DVD and ask them if they have G1 season 1

6. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's really very simple. Forget Amazon and online.

Go to HMV. Look at their Transformers box sets (they won't have any of the much older ones available):

Pick up -

Season 1 (Optimus face on the cover)
    Season 2, Pt 1 (Autobot symbol on cover)
    Season 2, Pt 2 (Decepticon symbol on cover)
    Season 3 & 4 (Galvatron face on cover)

Pay a mere twenty notes for the lot (all 98 episodes e.g. complete) and go home, watch them, and then regret it because they're not as good as you remember!

7. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    Dont listen to this. Be patient, wait till this summer pick up the whole series set which will have enough extras and bonus material to make it well worth it. And then enjoy the cartoons and learn why G1 is the best series out there (IMO of course)

8. Magnus' Mate

News Credits:
    Except he's in the UK, and unless I've missed something, the new set isn't necessarily going to be released here. So, unless he:
    a) has a Region 1 DVD player
    b) is prepared to pay more for just the first season ALONE than it would cost him for the entire series

I'm not so sure waiting is a good idea...

9. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Do listen to this, the new release will likely be about £50 or so.

The Takara collection of the three Japanese series is also well worth it, it's on ebay for about £13 at the moment. MASTAH-FOORCE!!!

10. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Thanks guys. My decision will probably depend on what my local HMV has. Honestly, I expect that the cartoons wont be as good as I remember, so price matters. Also, the reissue isnt showing up on Amazon.co.uk and only on Amazon.com, implying that it is US only. But, it is only $25. And I do have a multi region player. And it comes with a MAGNET!

I will check my HMV. Then probably pick up the Takara cartoons (I am a big fan of Headmasters toys anyway).

Any other series worth picking up?

11. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Grrr. My local HMV has a grand total of none of the old boxed sets. So, I will have to phone around tomorrow for other HMV stores, and check out a few web sites. Thanks for the heads up anyway. (And, if I knew that the Amazon info was news worthy I could have got myself a news credit! :p  )

12. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Good luck and I hope you find it. G1 is a great series that I watch over time and again. Let us know some of your favorite episodes.

13. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    If you want info on the seasons there have been a lot of information postings listed about them - check the news board there are even two threads about it right now

14. Magnus' Mate

News Credits:
    Another place to pick 'em up is The Works shop. They have the individual discs from the box sets for £1.99 or 3 for £5. Works out at about the same cost.

15. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    anyone who buys seasons or sets right now is wasting there money - from the sounds of it the set that comes out this summer will be the definitive collection for transformers fans. They are doing it right this time!!

16. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    That would be fine if the new version was coming out in the UK, or in UK format, or was all four (at least) seasons of G1 for a reasonable price. But, I dont see how the actual cartoon is going to be any better and the extras are nice but not worth paying a lot for.

I did try another HMV today, to find that they have season one but at £25.

So, I can either take a train ride or get all four seasons for a bit more money online.

What are peoples opinions on this:

IooGame Online Shop - Transformers G1: Complete 1-4 Season (Deluxe 15 DVD)

17. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    I'd get them from my HMV for you, but the postage on them would wipe out any saving.

The set you'd linked was a Chinese release that was well received, if you do a search there are numerous threads on it, it's normally referred to as the tin box set.

As an alternative, the complete boxset of the Metrodome sets is on ebay for £5 less shipped.

Both the Chinese set, and the Metrodome contain all of the Western G1 series, and the movie.

18. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
  19. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    You must not have read the interview - they are going above and beyond to make sure animation mistakes are corrected, they threw out completely the old audio tracks that were crap - this set is going to be the definitive set in every way!

20. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Any idea if these are going to be at target or walmart?? and retail price??