G1 Omnibots: Important or just a Footnote

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jorod74, Feb 23, 2010.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They are kinda rare, they are kinda "not" the G1 style that the main line was, but aren't they important to the line?

Or does the fact they were mail-away only figures permanently put them down as something less than the rest of the G1 line?

Those of you that collect the 84-85 TFs, do you add the omnibots to that list?

what's your opinion of those 3 autobot cars?

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I own all 3 Omnibots MISP. To me they are as important and as much of an equal as any other Autobot car released around that time (and any other part of my collection).

There is something extra special about them being mail-away exclusives, and the unique design - as you say - does set them aside from the rest of the G1 line.

I love them personally.

3. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    In what way? Despite having no cartoon appearances, I'd consider their style more GEEWUN than the Season 3 and beyond guys. They're still Diaclones.

4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Overdrive was my favorite Autobot (Besides Prime) growing up. I loved that he had a flight mode as well as a weapon that could be used in any mode (Chest/front end guns). Plus he was a spiffy robot mode and a sleek alt mode.

That he was a mailaway and none of my friends had him made him even more special.

Honestly I'd love to see all 3 Omnibots get the treatment they deserve in the comics and with a new release in Universe/Classics retaining their extra modes/weapons.

5. redoptics

redoptics Banned

how many robot points did it take to get a mail away just curious

6. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess cause they weren't in the cartoon for some they might hold less relevence. I used to be more that way. But if you look at the evolution of the diaclone line I think they are pretty cool. They appear to be a mid attempt between when tarkara decided they didn't have to have a place for a driver to sit and the development of the triple changers. Being these each have a "half" mode is what I'm talking about. I also think tracks must tie in there somwhere too. In otherwords, that is the reason I value them and consider them a must have for g1 collectors.

7. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

I love me omnibots. I have them occupying Ultra Magnus' trailer with Sunstreaker at home. Just recently completed them too!

8. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I have all three, but the only reason I care about them is because they were a childhood toy of mine. I do remember being excited about the whole mail away bit.. I can really only remember "the moment" I got a TF on about three occasions when I was a kid; and they were one of them.

That's why I like them. Not so much because they're really cool toys or anything. And I do include them on my G1 list.

9. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got my Omnibots the same time as Reflector. Happy G1 memories back in the day. I think these were the first Transformers I ever got by mail. Important? Primus Yes and definitely part of G1!

10. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say I personally don't care for them. While I'm glad everyone here has a special spot in the hearts and collections for the Omnibots, not having characters in the toon places them at the bottom of my G1 'to get' list. Reflector, on the other hand, carries meaning to me even with his limited appearances & personality(ies)

Heck, I had two of the deluxe Insecticons (still got 'em) and to this day I'm meh about them. I guess they're my 'footnotes'

11. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    When I started to rebuild me G1 collection (I had to sell it back in the early part of the decade to get by) the Omnibots were very near the top of the list. To me they were very important, and they remain a favorite in my collection. I keep hoping that Hasbro will give them homage in an upcoming Classics/Universe/Generations line. I think it would be cool to see the Omnibots each with a different Powerdasher minicon.

12. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Well, we did get Binaltech Overdrive (and his poorly named Alternators counterpart)

13. SegaGenesis

SegaGenesis Headmaster

I have all three, and the main reason I picked them up is I was trying to complete all the '84-'85 autobot cars. I really like them, and I think they're an awesome addition to the diaclone transformers. They fit in quite well, imo, although they're slightly smaller. Their robot aesthetic is closer to Sideswipe than prowl. The quality of their third mode can vary a bit, but I still think they're great additions to my G1 collection. Plus they're not terribly overpriced yet either.

To respond to your other questions, I think the fact that they were mail-away figures makes them more special to the G1 than less. Although I don't really feel the same way about powerdashers, probably because they look lame. Since G1 was one continuous line that went on for years, it's up to each fan to decide whether to collect everything (Pretenders? Action Masters? Really?) or just what they like. Personally I think everything released before G2 is G1, so there you go. The only reasons I can think of to not consider them G1 are they're not in the catalogs and didn't have a cartoon appearances.

14. hutchprime

hutchprime Made of sterner stuff

News Credits:
    I'll never forget how psyched I was to drive in from a two week vacation to find them on the doorstep.

Being 9 was great.

15. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Same here, Overdrive was the one I wanted, I didn't care about the other two characters, but Overdrive being a Ferrari was awesome! His car mode was better looking I thought than most of the other G1 cars, and his robot mode was awesome as well! I also liked his front nose machine guns, sort of a James Bond feel to him.
    As this was long before ordering stuff on line, it was great to receive such an awesome toy in the mail. He's the only one I'd like to find again but only in MISP condition.

16. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Here's my set..

[​IMG]

17. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I think they are cool i don't currently own any of them but i have seen them and like them

18. Mr. Ginrai

Mr. Ginrai Godmaster

Gotta have 'em. If you like the look of the early autobot cars, these guys defiintiely have the G1/Diaclone look. Kind of a great filler in between your minibots and the deluxe cars, and they don't look out of place in robot mode when you place prowl, downshift, hound and camshaft on your shelf because they are on a "spy mission". Car mode, yeah they are a bit smaller, but so are the minibots. I have all of them loose and sealed except for overdrive. He is a tough one to get without sticker wear because of where his stickers go. But no, I would never count them out. Great starter figures as well if you are looking to not break the bank.

19. commandwolf

commandwolf Well-Known Member

Omnibots!

I would echo those thoughts. Overdrive was the only Transformer that I actually cut out and used points to get. I always thought he was cool because of the front gun and the fact that he had a flight mode. When you're 10, having a car that can fly (even in your imgaination) is a pretty cool thing. Too bad they never made it into the cartoon...that I think lessened their appeal to many people.

Overall though, I do consider them part of the 84-85 car lineup as they were modeled after real cars during that time (Ferrari, Toyoto Celica, and Mazda RX-7) and look great next to the rest of the autobot cars.

They even came with similar instruction books that looked like the other autobot cars. However, it was a shame that they never came with color tech specs to round out their characters and give them some personality.

20. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I don't actually own it, but did they find their way into the More Than Meets The Eye guidebook?

I actually know very little, if anything about their characters.