Customs: "G1" Nitro Zeus and another Headmaster

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Edwardmus Prime, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Curious and Creative Man

So, I have a couple ideas. Still very shaky on the customization front, but I kind of want to bounce some things off and get ideas on expenses.

To start off, I drew Nitro Zeus in a more cartoon/G1 style and was in part taken aback by his resemblance to the Triggerhappy mold. While it was unintentional, my mind immediately jumped to "TOY NOW."

My question now here is that things definitely are different on Nitro, such as the turbines under the wings and the cyclopean eye, not to mention how the turbines end up on his back. Say the turbines replace Triggerhappy's cannons, how would one achieve it? What about a face with a single eye? What would be my best option?

The drawing also had "tattoos" on assorted parts of his body — are there stickers or something of that nature? For more information, they are mostly English language words. I did consider using Windblade as well — gender swap be damned (and to be fair, her transformation far closer resembles the reference point.)

Next is Highbrow. I've got a bunch hanging around Walmart not selling. So I have thought "can I turn this guy into Alpha Bravo?" These questions are pretty simplistic — what are my options for a removable mouth plate and arm missiles, and good ways to color both for a guy way over his head like me?

(I also thought about getting a Generations Hoist and customizing it into a movie Onslaught homage with a Loudmouth head and "sailor" themed arm/door decorations but that is an old mold and I don't know how to convert anything into a Head/Titan Master.)

If I can get answers, maybe I can tally up how far it will set me back.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RobotKnight95

RobotKnight95 Unamused and Insane

News Credits:
    For your question about Nitro Zeus I say find some turbine resembling parts then proceed to slice the shoulder cannons off. Stick the pseudo turbines where the cannons were. I would suggest "resculpting" the shoulders to better blend in the turbines would also be wise. As for the eye question unless you want to get a shapeways exclusive head I can only suggest just painting an eye black or a different color to the eye you want to use for Nitro. If you do want a shapeways head I suggest the WFC Vehicon/drone, Shockwave, or the Prime Vehicon. I prefer the first of the three to give Nitro some individuality.

If I have any suggestions for different molds to better homage Nitro I would recommend either Slugslinger or Misfire for Nitro over Triggerhappy. I say this from a perspective of wanting the best robot mode homage and I think Slugslinger's twin nose cones can match Nitro's turbines. Misfire looks similar enough to Triggerhappy, only missing the cockpit chest which Nitro does not possess. Plus the two half-nose of the jet mode could serve to homage Nitro's right arm shield. despite not being located in the same area in robot mode.

As for Alpha Bravo I'd recommend some durable plastic. The clear packaging material included with figures is ideal for this sort of stuff. I'd use an exacto knife to cut out the base mouth plate and see it it fits. If you want to later you can use leftovers to layer the plate for detail.

3. Edwardmus Prime

Eh, sounds rather scary. What I had in mind was unclipping the forward facing cannons and replacing them with turbines, even though this meant that he wouldn't have them on his back. I might have to go with alternatives, not just because I don't have much experience but also finding the right way to homage the turbines may well be a futile effort.

I wasn't even thinking about Shapeways until you brought it up. :lol  I like the idea, however, and it didn't take me too long to find something that I like there. The WFC Heavy/Brute has just about the right shape for my needs and I somewhat like the idea of him being a simple mook who went on to decorate himself and stand out from the crowd.

Say, what is the best material from Shapeways and what is the best way to go about painting it? It seems different from your average plastic. It doesn't contain lead, correct?

I think that I will have to go with one of these suggestions. Not a big fan of either figure on its own because they're both a lot less clean than Triggerhappy and have a far inferior transformation (what do you think of Topspin?), but Slugslinger seems like a decent match and maybe if I color him proper and give him adequate accessories it will even out.

Speaking of accessories: where would one acquire decals or stickers? Nitro in the film has graffiti on him in some shots, so I want to homage this with words in red on various parts of his body.
    -------
    It took me a while to respond. I was waiting to see if any other ideas would come in. Thanks, man. A few more questions will buff things out more, if the community doesn't mind.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  4. RobotKnight95

News Credits:
    I understand. It is a risky gambit when doing heavy modding to figures.

There is no lead as far as I know. There is a "metallic plastic" option (which will effect pricing) but its only that. An option. I recommend strong/flexible unless you want high detail quality. Not to say strong/flexible is unpolished but high-definition is closer to hasbro/takara quality sculpting.
    Also, I found two other heads similar to the WfC brute that may work much better for Nitro. My vote is for Cyberjet.
    Hooligan

Cyberjet

My vote was on Slugslinger too. He just seemed the better choice. As for the suggestion of Topspin I don't think he would work out. He's too much of a flying tank with wings which wouldn't work well for Nitro given he turns into a jet. If wanting my opinion of Topspin as a figure then I'm sorry to disappoint but I don't own him. I only purchased Astrotrain, Sentinel Prime, and intend to get Blitzwing. Besides them there is very little Titan Returns offers that I am in need of.

Speaking of Blitwing I was tempted to propose him or Octane for Nitro. I held back on them because I figured you wanted to stay in Deluxe range.

As for the tattoos I would suggest waiting for reprolabels to release some for the official figure and using them. If that doesnt work then you could apply the graffiti yourself with a tiny brush.

5. Edwardmus Prime

I like those a lot. It's great to have options, and I think I like these more cartoon and toy-like ones over the Brute. Cyberjet is looking pretty good here.

You were right about the staying in the Deluxe range. The Triggerhappy mold is what inspired me and the Voyagers are a tad clunky(?) for what I am going for. Topspin seemed chunky, too, but I kinda just wanted to air things out.

I may just go with the latter. It's graffiti, so it doesn't have to be perfect and I won't have to stalk Toyhax.

I was going to ask about color greys for the recolor, but I think it may well take actually having the figure in hand for proper judgment. As a newbie, I think I will have to be very careful around joints.

Thanks for the tips so far. Say, if I had other ideas in mind, would it be a good idea to start another thread or just inquire here?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  6. RobotKnight95

News Credits:
    I say keep it here so to focus on a single topic.

As for one last suggestion I would go to a local hardware store and look for a gold-colored chain. Just to complete the look.

7. Edwardmus Prime

Wouldn't you know that I forgot about mentioning the gold chain? I gotta find one. I think I saw a few at Walmart and Target, too. Looks like I may well have options.

Speaking of options, I may as well get multiple plans ironed out...

So, it now looks like the Primes are not going to get made like I had hoped. Now I am going to need to fall back in customization (like I kinda dreaded :lol .) Looking to Windblade for Solus Prime now — I think I have the Forge that came with Prime Magnus but I might be wrong. I would just need to figure out a new head and find the Forge if I do not have it.

Windblade carries that sort-of Amazonian look I am looking for. I don't want someone who will look like they are about to tip over using that hammer. And I fear that Windblade may well be that, and find that something the caliber of a Prime should be a tad larger than the rest. I don't know if I should maybe gamble on a customizable Voyager female bot showing up or if there are better options.

After that, there is Solus's distinct dreadlocks that she seems to always be depicted with, and possibly something resembling her IDW face/head design:
    [​IMG]

She, similar to Nitro, would probably be more or less an amalgamation of influences going for a G1 look (although probably more, since it's G1, Prime and IDW in play here.)

Oh, and Mohawk. Shall I just paint a Legends Groove black and grey with a little bit of green and a red visor and call it a day?

Edit: Looks like there might just be a Solus Prime Master. Just for synergy's purposes, what would someone call that color green in, say, Testors Acrylics? Maybe it's too fuzzy to tell right now?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017