G1 Mythos: Plastic Inspired

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Gingerchris, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I've always wondered how things would turn out if you got someone with no knowledge of Transformers at all and gave them the original toys and told them to come up with characters and a storyline based on them. Obviously I'm thinking the project would be given to a writer or other creative type rather than just plucking a random person off the street for it.

Would some things always be a given? Would the big red truck guy be the leader of the good guys? Would he even be a good guy? Perhaps the writer looks at the figures and decides only the ones with real faces are the good guys. That'd make Megatron and the Seekers team up with Prowl and other 'faced' cars. Would that make Rumble and Frenzy characters that joined the hidden-faced bad guys like Shockwave, Wheeljack and Bumblebee (not their names now of course)? Or good guys that joined the bad guys and ended up working for Soundwave?
    Are there even bad and good robots? Maybe they're all bad and invading Earth, or our own technology come to life somehow.

Would there be mass-shifting? Or would the device figures keep their small size as robots?
    Would some of the robots be female?
    Would the Diaclone drivers be included? Are they even living robots if they were included?
    Would they have their own planet?
    Why are they here?
    Would there be the recolours of certain molds like we got? What happens when you're given three of the same toy in different colours and asked to give them names and characteristics?

How much would be the same? Would the writer group all the cars and ground vehicles together and the weapons and devices as another group? Would the weapons include the Seekers, or would they go under a vehicle banner? Maybe there are more factions than just Autobot or Decepticon.

Just by looking at the original source (the toys) what's likely to end up the same because it's an obvious choice or idea, and what came about because it was just what popped into the mind at the time. Would you really look at Wheeljack's toy and think 'Yes, that guy's an engineer and sometimes mad scientist type that's also a good stunt-style driver'?

Somewhere, in alternate realities, everything ended up as something else when the toys inspired the tech specs and media. How often would it have even ended up all under the name Transformers'? We could've been playing with stuff called SwitchTechs instead.

I don't think this is something for the Toy Discussion forum as it's more about the creative media inspirations that came from them, even though it does involve the toys, but feel free to check with a mod if you disagree.

2. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Tough one. I think the Soundwave toy might wind up as leader of the bad guys, myself. He might've been named Recordon or perhaps Ejectron? XD

I love weird hypothetical stuff like this! XD

3. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Wasn't Soundwave originally going to be the Decepticon leader? Explaining the Decepticon logo looking like his face and why it's him fighting Optimus above Earth in at least one piece of early artwork I remember (The Complete Works book)?

Think how different that would've been. Soundwave as leader and his own little personal guard cassettes always ready to jump out of his chest and protect him. Not that the minions ended up that different then. :p 

4. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Once when I was a kid, I split up all my Transformers into factions based on what color their eyes were. I can't remember anything else, but there ended up being about six different factions and some pretty unusual matchups.

I also recall that I was given a couple of the toys before I'd ever seen the show. One of those toys was Ironhide, and I thought that his robot mode was supposed to attach to his battle station mode and that was how he got around, never walking but rolling along on those little tank treads. I thought, "That doesn't seem very fast! How does he keep up with everyone else if they're all walking somewhere?" The first time I saw the show, I'm not even sure I recognized Ironhide until he got called by name. At which point I said, "Hey, wait! Where's his... y'know, his thing?"

5. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    That's not quite the same thing I was thinking though as the little mobile unit was addressed in the original tech specs. But you are right that it got lost somewhere along the way after that, with his liquid-firing ability transferred to something handheld or coming from his wrists. It's more an evolution of the idea after the initial creation of Ironhide though.
    That said, thinking Ironhide was always stuck to his mobile bay thingy instead of walking with his legs is an interesting thought and I can see how you'd come to that conclusion just from looking at the toy. Early issues of the comic showed both Ironhide and Ratchet mounted on their sleds so perhaps the artist thought that too. That or it was just a case of having to show the entire toy and doing away with the sleds completely hadn't yet been taken on as an alternative or allowed way to depict those characters.

Imagine how different things could've been if Ironhide and Ratchet were always stuck on their sleds from 1984 to present day. Would there have been character or story reasons given for it? Could they have been the robot version of wheelchair bound? Perhaps Ironhide could remain the old war vet but stuck in his wheelchair. Ratchet the miracle medic but unable to repair himself? Perhaps he resents his patients. Would they have had storylines where they eventally had their legs restored to full function?
    That's two characters rewritten just from your one small differing perception of their toys.

I remember when I got my first Beast Wars figures before the show aired here and I created an entirely different backstory and characteristics for the figures. The only constants carried over from G1 were Megatron and Optimus were the leaders. I even swapped a few characters between factions based on their looks, although one was a Predacon double agent.
    I didn't even think of that but it could've easily been how figures got grouped if the idea had popped into the head of someone charged with creating the basis of the toyline story.

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I doubt almost any of it would be the same if they had no input at all and had to create it all on their own.

If they were given the pricepoints and told that leaders had to be high pricepoints, yeah, we'd see Convoy as a likely faction leader and Gun Robo as another.

The situation would be more interesting if things were opened up to the '86 lineup as well (which were in the works in various stages, hence Shockwave and "Hauler" being in the pilot episode).

7. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Isn't this kind of what Michael Bay already did? When he had made the first movie he hated the idea of making a movie based on toys with no knowledge of the series. When it came down to it he had other people gather info and write up a synopses.

Now if you actually get a creative guy to do it I'd put my vote into Bradbury. Man that would totally be awesome...for me anyway

8. Grand Sword

Grand Sword Well-Known Member

Good question!
    Many different storylines could have been created... especially since they were Robots in Disguise and you had to rub the sticker to find out if they were Autobot or Decpticon...

I would have thought, with how heavy and bulky the Shockwave toy was that he would have been the leader. And the G1 cartoons always bothered me a little when they would be in their vehicle modes and they were always easy to spot... "those a decepticon jets..."

Anyway back to the question... maybe the story would have humans build the robots in disguise to take over the world or whatever and so "good guy" scientists build the autobots to fight back... more emphasis would be on the disguise of the the robots more than the "roll out" of them perhaps. I'd say Convoy/Optimus would still have been leader of the good guys...