G1 music restoration project../

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by KMITB, Aug 18, 2014.

1. triKlops

triKlops New England Transformers Collectors Group member

Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Just pledged $5; hopefully all of the stretch goals get met and we end up with a super clean, crisp recording.

2. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    This is such an amazing undertaking. this project combined with a completely cleaned up restored series complete with fixed animation errors and new crisp color and new sound tech with be absolutely amazing for an old show like this. I could totally see it being done in time.

I totally support this project.

Good luck I'm sure this fandom would easily surpass the goal.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  3. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Basically I agree, this is great as a 'last resort' fan project where there's no alternative.

Except it isn't the last resort - the master tapes are sitting in Walsh's cupboard and no companies seem interested in retail release. Seems a little odd to be spending many hours and expensive equipment to create a patched-together attempt when nobody's thought to just ask for access to the original material itself yet, that's all.

4. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hasn't Walsh already been asked though ? through the years ? I am pretty sure its been asked and it just has not proven to be "worth it" to him or the companies involved or he cant for legal reasons ect ect ? I am pretty sure he has been asked/ approached.

Id love to give him my money for sure

5. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Me too man! I linked to this earlier, but may as well quote it. Care of JediJones in the Intrada Movie Score thread:

It sounds like a deal could be done, but I have no idea what price. But no reason it too couldn't be Kickstarted.

6. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

I would be ALL in to get these songs released properly. Someone get a hold of Rob and get him to start a kickstarter. THAT I would back.

7. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  8. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    These guys are awesome. It takes good skills to do this kind of work. Not only that they are volunteering their time and affort.

9. jamarmiller

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    it looks like it has met its stretch goals too now.

did that like take 24 hours ?

10. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Deceptipunk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    A little more then that but ya.
    It's awesome when people come together to make stuff like this happen... It warms my heart!

11. notpicard

notpicard Well-Known Member

I didn't realize that the original music recordings are out there. This project could be a stepping stone to gauge interest.

Oh, I am not talking about an unofficial one. I really want to see a licensed or funded official translation of all of the Takara episodes. I know it may be a pipe dream, but I still think it would be worthwhile. Headmasters (and Scramble City while they are at it) is the one that is most time-sensitive since Masterforce and Victory have new characters.

I think a Headmasters translation would benefit from having these recordings available. If they don't even exist, that is a larger hurdle than IP rights that may also hold things back.

12. TCJJ

TCJJ 125% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    So it seems they've already passed both stretch goals, but I decided to give them a dollar anyway. I don't have much money right now, but this is totally worth it.

Honestly, as much as I'd like a dub, I think it's too little, too late. I've watched them subbed and they're perfectly fine.

Unfortunately, all the Japanese Transformers series are owned by Toei. I don't know how much you know about Toei but I'll try to sum them up briefly: they are super-stingy about every one of their properties. Now, they can't distribute Transformers without TakaraTomy and/or Hasbro saying so, but on the other hand, TakaraTomy, and especially Hasbro (since they're not a Japanese company), would still have a very difficult time getting the anime from Toei. Even with the biggest pile of cash, Toei is still unlikely to budge at the best of times, and when they do, they're not going to hand over the best masters, so unless TakaraTomy fills up a couple of trucks with cold, hard cash and commissions Toei to do full remasters, we will never have the Japanese-exclusive Transformers series in the best quality possible.

This is quite possibly the primary reason we have yet to get Beast Wars II and Beast Wars Neo outside of Japan. Hell, I can't even find the official Japanese DVDs to buy.

13. darkedgex

darkedgex Burritocon

I would totally buy that. This Kickstarter is a nice idea for now, but if the actual source material is available that would clearly be superior to anything specialized software could produce. I'd be surprised if La-la Land or Intrada wouldn't be interested in releasing this.

14. Emperor Bruticus IV

Emperor Bruticus IV Destron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The season 3 intro has some of the best music of all time.

15. Infosaur

Infosaur Ancient Cybertronian

I've really gotten into instrumentals lately as they can fade in the background as I'm working. I could get hip to that.

That being said, if this guy Walsh really is sitting on a file cabinet of masters, maybe somebody ought to school him on self publishing?

No corporation is going to invest in a CD of instrumentals from a 30 year old TV show, total market is got to be less than 4 figures, world wide. But maybe he could hook up with some of these small scale vinyl producers? Modern manufacturing and even buying old used presses and refurbishing them has lead to an underground resurgence in records. Plus DJ's probably would eat them up.

A limited internet run of say 1000 copies would probably sell out in an afternoon.

16. Cattus Doctus

Cattus Doctus Whiskered Questicon

A fun project, but doesn't Jimbo already have access to the software required? After all, he was able to restore several tracks and play them in his video.

17. jamarmiller

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    sounds like he had a free trial

18. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    I'm really liking the idea of restoring the old background music from the old G1 series. I enjoy listening to some of the backgrounds not only from G1 but other 80s cartoons as well like Thundercats. Makes me wish a lot of older 80s series would have score soundtrack albums.

19. jamarmiller

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  20. kary

kary Karyuudo Fansubs

Or something he got off the pirate bay. 2 out of those 3 apps he used are on there.