G1 Monstructor

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by thyvipera, Sep 10, 2007.

1. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

I've recently found out about this guy. I'm interested in getting him. Anyone know if he's hard to come by? And how much he goes for loose and MOSC?

2. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    he is somewhat expensive, even more if you want the dinoking.

3. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    I got mine for $150 loose and complete but believe their price might be up to $250. The MOSC ones are very pricey. The hardest thing about this set are finding all the little ind. purple guns. But I have a friend who makes reprod verisons of them for around $10. Worth the money and wait.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    considering his miniscule size, he's extremely expensive. I think it's worth it since each of the robots is a pretender though.

5. Kid Icarus

Kid Icarus Castlevaniac

Not to mention that two of the six in question are molded in gold plastic. GPS at it's finest, Bristleback in particular seems to suffer terribly from crumbling material at the joints, Slog not so much. Still an issue to look out for if you decide to go the loose complete route.

I remember when the local Woolworth's were clearancing these guys out in the early 90's. About $2.00 each, but finding the whole set was a challenge. Then like now, Scowl seemed to be the most common to find MOSC.

Monstructor's a cute little combiner though. Worth tracking down even with the GPS flaws and easily lost parts. **coughIcepick'sguncough**

-Pit-

6. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Also, beware of the slimey pretender shells. It's quite disgusting.

7. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Well... They are MONSTERcons, right?

8. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    I've had him since childhood when I found him on clearance at the local dept store and was able to get all 6 for $12 total. I'd never had a complete combiner before then, so that was the draw.

I still have him largely complete and mostly intact, on my shelf. Up until I really got back into TF collecting about a year ago, I had no idea he was rare or valuable at all.

9. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love him because he was one of the only complete combiners I had as a kid.

As a toy though, he sucks. Each robot on its own hardly transforms. All you really do is fold a couple parts and it is done. Both robot and alt mods are lacking. Not to mention the GPS and sticky shells.

This is one of those vintage toys that should not be fetching $250 plus (loose and complete), but does do to its scarcity. He was never in the show, I don't think he was in any comics until recently (Prime Spotlight), and even with a low production run still managed to get clearanced. I would not buy one just because the fear of it breaking or the shells spotting and getting sticky. I found my Bristleback at my mom's house a few years ago and he pretty much fell apart in my hands.

I will always love Monstructor for being a part of my childhood, but for crazy ebay prices, one could find a Shockwave in good condition or a shiny new Predaking reissue.

Unless you are a completest or just have absolutely nothing else you want to buy, I'd pass at those prices. However if you can get a really good deal, or have the patience to get him piece by piece (I heard that it took one guy 5 years to get everything), go for it. Just be very careful with the gold ones. I never knew until recently that he was so expensive either, who knew?

10. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    One set just sold on ebay at $330.00.

11. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    Anyone have an opinion on what would be fair to ask for mine? I need to sell some of my collection to pay for... well... more TFs. :) 

G1 Monstructor

Monstructor is complete:
    Head, fists, feet, gun

Individuals:
    Birdbrain: 100%! Robot, shell, gun and back
    Razorback: Robot, shell
    Icepick: Robot, back
    Wildflyr: 100%! Robot, shell, gun, back
    Slog: 100%! Robot, shell, gun, back
    Scowl: Robot, back

12. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I found the Dinoking shells to be more slimey than the Monstercon shells...at least that's my experience w/ my Dinoforce set.

13. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd go in the neighborhood of $180. It comes to $30 apiece which is what I'm roughly seeing trying to piece together one right now. Unless you're interested in trading, then by all means please visit my for sale thread! Link is in my sig!