Customs: G1 Mirage repair advice?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by cagey, Jan 26, 2012.

1. cagey

cagey Well-Known Member

My friend has a G1 Mirage that he thinks is beyond repair. Someone broke the upper 1/2 of the body from the legs. In between the two pieces is nothing but a flat, blue surface. I noted a very very small (2mm) space in the middle that appears to accommodate an axle.

My theory is to drill out whatever's inside, like the way you would remove a screw that's lost its notches on the screwhead due to wear.

Any thoughts? He informs me that a big time TF fan looked it over and thought it was beyond help. Shame, bc it seems to be one of the harder figs to get your hands on.

Sorry, don't have pics to offer at this time.

2. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    Just run a screw into the body half to act as the new pivot. Allow just enough space so that the body can rotate properly, and superglue it in place so it doesn't back out.

3. cagey

cagey Well-Known Member

Both the top and bottom have that small circle where the axle is... but no indications on being able to dismantle the body to get a screw in. Did you mean a screw with points on the top and bottom (no screwhead)? Thanks. Mirage deserves new life.

4. turboedguy

News Credits:
    We are talking about the torso pivot right? Because the waist section has screws that allows for disassembly, and the top body section once had a pivot stud molded into it. First disassemble the waist section and remove the broken pivot piece. Then find a screw that will be adequate for replacing it and screw it to the top body section. Drilling a small pilot hole will help to drive in a screw. You will need a course thread pointed style screw that can hold in plastic without a backing nut. Screw it in far enough so it will allow the waist to pivot without being too loose. Once you figure out the depth, supergluing the screw in will keep the waist pivoting tightly without backing out.

5. cagey

cagey Well-Known Member

You are awesome.

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Did it work?

7. turboedguy

News Credits:
    I've done two. Done right it works great.

8. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

I am sooooooooo glad someone posted thread. I have the same problem with my G1 Mirage that I thought was beyound help as well since it is broke in half. I think I am going to use some of these ideas and see what I come up to put him back together.

9. turboedguy

News Credits:
  10. cagey

cagey Well-Known Member

I haven't purchased it yet, but I think I will.

The level of detail in the responses is outstanding, was unexpected, and surely deserves some follow-through on my part.

11. cagey

cagey Well-Known Member

Comic dealer was selling the broken in half Mirage for $40. I offered $15. No deal. For the record, he sells an '80s Mini-car for about $30, and a beat up Wheeljack with no acc. for $80.

Sigh. But at least other people got use out of this info, so thank you anyway.