G1 Megatron purchase: worth it? (+can you ID what's broken?)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Paradigm-Shift Prime, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Hey all, just BINed this g1 Megatron 25 minutes into the auction for $59.99. Seems like a great deal to me, but there are a few things the seller IDs as wrong with it that I'm not sure what he's referring to.

He says:
    "Megatron is in great shape, his chrome stil shines.The decepticon sticker is worn. It includes his gun but I think it is missing one part and the shoulder rest part looks to be missing half."

And here's the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't had my hands on a G1 Megatron in a while so I'm not sure what parts he's referring to and how badly this affects the figure and the purchase's worth as a whole. Insights & Opinions? Thanks.

2. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

The stock and silencer seem to be intact, but half the scope and the sword are missing.

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Not worth it. Encore megs will be out soon, and cheaper than that.

4. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

He's missing the scope's front part and the middle part that connects to the arm. Sword was available with the jap versions. As for the shoulder part, well, ther could be two things. One is that the chrome bar that swings the arm (didn't specify which) is missing, the other is the grey/olive part that connects the arm to the chrome bar that pivots the arm for the robot form. The second happened to mine. The arm still holds great, but you can force it off if you want, still that happened to his left arm that doesn't hold the cannon. I don't know which arm is faulty in the one you bought,so I can't tell for certain if it was worth it or not.

5. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Yes but for some of us having the original and not a reissue is an important factor.

6. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Ok, great info, thanks. So yeah he's missing all but the back nub of the fusion cannon then right? And the shoulder thing I'll have to wait and see. And unless he was a jap version, he never had the sword in the first place.

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    considering reissues are available, and the fact its missing parts, thats a raw deal.

you might have want to ask our opinion BEFORE BINing it.

8. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Yeah I hear you. When I've paused on just posted BINs that seem decent to me lately though I go back 5 minutes later and its gone. I am a g1 collector but Megatron is not my strong area knowledge wise. That reissues are available doesn't really make a difference to me though. Megatrons are going for crazy $ it seems right now, I'd seen worse ones go for over $100 in the last few weeks (I saw his chrome gun alone go for $25 the other day), part of what led me to thinking this wasn't bad. If I don't like, I think I can resell and get most my $ back anyways.

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    actually, the fact that reissues exist SHOULD make a difference to you as a vintage collector. at least you know, for the ones that have been reissued, genuine sellers (read, knowledgeable) arent trying to pull one over your head by offering above market rates.

for instance, the prices for vintage starscream have dropped way down since the advent of reissues.

10. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Hehe, yeah sorry I didn't mean like I just don't pay attention to them in researching purchases and figuring prices, I meant that a reissue being out doesn't make me go 'oh, now I don't need the original because I can just buy the reissue'
    (and thus I guess what I am willing to pay for an original doesn't drop as much as for some people, though through less competition I would be paying less also...and vintage megatron's price still seemed to stay way up there despite the takara 06 release and recent re-release in december).

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Even if you did get him he'd seem so naked without that fusion cannon once you get him in robot mode. Would go the MIB / MISB route all the way for this one.

12. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    These are the parts that are missing. You already know about half of the scope. And the part in the middle of the pic I've circled is probably missing too. It's part of the silencer. As for the "shoulder rest" that he's referring to, that's what I've circled on the bottom of the pic. It's splits in half and forms legs for the cannon itself.

[​IMG]

pic from tfu.info

13. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Without reading the whole thread, I think the shoulder part he's talking about is not the robot's shoulder, but your's. The stock is missing the part that rests against your shoulder in gun mode. The parts that swing out like scissors. If you look at the top pic, you can see over by the right edge that the shoulder brace is incomplete.

**EDIT** Chaos Convoy posted this info as I was typing.

14. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Thanks a lot for the help. Well I'd much rather that be the 'shoulder rest' problem than a broken part on Megs himself.

15. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Well I've just done some looking around, I can get the middle part of the fusion cannon/scope for $5 (and the sight/back part, which is included here), but that front part of the fusion cannon seems totally absent on ebay.

16. Razorclaw

Heh, I just snuck a pick again at the picture you posted Paradigm. Whooo, the figure itself is not broken then, CS is right, it's the back half of the tripod assembly that's missing. I can't tell by the pics, but the back half of the cannon could be all there. I mean, the seller did mention shoulder rest part was missing and the scope part. I think apart from those, you're set. To tell you the truth, if you're keen on getting those parts, you can try buying a Megs bootleg on ebay, like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Transformers-MEGATRON-Variant-G1-Generation-1_W0QQitemZ170120935472QQihZ007QQcategoryZ753QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

you get all of the accessories plus a sword and bullets.

17. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    There's one thing about the scope from that bootleg though. It doesn't fit onto a G1 Megatron, so you'd have to get a real one. But I WOULD get that bootleg anyway, if only for the sword and bullets and the extra parts to make Megatron be able to shoot the bullets. You might be able to switch out the actual connection point on Megatron himself with the bootleg one so that you can put the scope on it, though. It's just held on with a screw anyway.

18. Razorclaw

There used to be a Megs bootleg with red fists and thighs. That one was great. He came with stickers and instructions like the real thing. The only drawback was that he had only the scope weapon. It's a shame you can't find it anymore.