G1 Megatron On Ebay? a quick question...

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by unpunk, Oct 5, 2009.

1. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

Does Ebay require EVERY G1 styled Megatron to have the orange tip applied before it can be sold? What does this do to vintage MISB figures as far as value goes? I just saw a couple Diaclone Megs on ebay (loose, boxed) that had been modified with an orange tip. Crazy. I understand the law behind it and I don't know if this a touchy subject or not, I just thought I'd ask. I was gonna sell my MP Megs and wanted to know what I was up against, or if there was any way around it.

2. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    I believe there is a law, that if you don't have the gun barrel plugged up, so to speak, the auction will close.

I may be mistaken, but I believe that's what happens.

Good luck on selling MP Megs though. :thumb 

3. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Technically, any toy that looks like a real firearm has to have the orange tip/plug

4. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While the rules are pretty clear about what needs to be done in order to lawfully sell a replica firearm, they aren't always observed or enforced. After a quick search on Ebay, I see several Masterpiece Megatrons and many G1's that have not been modified to comply with the law.

While technically illegal, it is pretty easy to get around the law in this case. For one, you could leave your Megatron in robot mode. Many sellers on ebay, and this goes for other hobbies such as airsoft, will resort to Photoshopping an orange tip on the pictures of their replicas, rather than to deface the actual toy, simply for the purpose of tricking ebay. Other are up-front about what they're selling: unmodded replicas as-is. I've had a replica Desert Eagle and MEU 1911 shipped to me both domestically and internationally without orange tips.

Anyway, worst case scenario getting caught through Ebay is that they'll make you relist the item with the proper cosmetic adjustments. Of course, you'll still have options, such as fitting the barrel with a removable plug spray painted orange.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Ebay is complying with the law and law in question came about due to Kids with highly realistic toy guns getting shot and mostly killed by police officers who were unable to tell they weren't the real thing when they had them pointed at them and shot rather than take the risk getting shot themselves so to stem the tide of the senseless deaths new laws were passed to require all toy guns and replica fire arms ( such as airsoft guns) be easily identifiable at a quick glance so they all have the orange caps or in the case of classics Megatron be made in a throughly non realistic manner so as to enable cops to easily tell a toy gun from a real one which has sadly caused man a G1 Megatron to be defaced with the orange cap Shockwave on the other hand is unusual enough to normally escape an orange cap

6. patobot

patobot ۝۝۝۝۝۝۝۝ Scanning ۝۝۝۝۝۝۝

Can't they just photoshop an orange spot at the tip of the gun?

7. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    they can and do and thats normally enough to fool ebay who do not normally look really close but if you do a bad job of it everyone will know its not a real cap, basicly Ebay is covering there own butts as if they allowed a toy or replica gun to be sold with out the cap and a kid got killed they could face criminal and civil penalties