G1 Megatron Instructions?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by optimusfan, Jan 26, 2010.

1. optimusfan

optimusfan Kill your heroes Administrator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Question on G1 Megatron's instructions. I recently bought a lot that included a complete boxed G1 Megatron. I was digging into the box last night and noticed that the instructions were multilingual, which I haven't seen on many G1 manuals. The second language is French.

Doing a little research and looking at the copyright on the manual it looks to be from the Canadian release. Here's the odd thing if that's the case -- the rest of the box looks like the US version as it is only in english. I found an image of a Canadian box and it does not match.

Now, anyone could throw a Canadian manual into a US box, but I'm fairly sure that didn't happen. The guy I purchased the lot from didn't know much about the figures other than they were his when he was a kid. They had literally been sitting in an attic for years, and I've been cleaning the dust to prove it.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Am I on the right track? Was it common to include Canadian manuals in US boxes?

Thanks.

2. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

I'd lean towards "no". Maybe the guy you bought it from is a few owners removed from the original and a previous one assembled a complete Megatron from packaging and manuals from various sources. 25 years is a long time...

3. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I Think Lunar is likely correct its a put together set

4. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

Mystery solved.

5. optimusfan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I certainly agree that 25 years is a long time. Again though, this guy claimed to be the original and only owner. He was definitely not a collector (this is what he sold me for $100 [​IMG]), and there doesn't seem to have been any attempt on his part to complete individual figures in the lot. He knew the names and that was about it.

On the other hand, a lot can happen in 25 years. Maybe he swapped manuals as a kid, who knows. At least this potential anomaly is posted here now in case anyone else ever runs into it.

6. UKBrawn

UKBrawn Intergalactic Tin Opener

I wouldnt be too worried, you got a bargain haha!!
    Some UK releases were multilingual werent they?
    I should really check mine but Im at work.

7. optimusfan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, not worried -- just curious, that's all.

8. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

I can't believe you got ALL THAT for just a 100 bucks O____O

9. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    well just because he got it as a kid doesn't mean it was brand new to him even if seemed like it and i suppose its possible a manual meant for Canada got put in a US bound Megs

and yah he ripped him self off

10. Lunar Archivist

Geez, you got a haul that sweet and you're worried about the fact that Megatron's manual is bilingual? That's like getting C-10 MOSC/MISB Combaticons and complaining about the reduced-size lettering for French and English texts messing up the layout. :p 

I happen to own a G1 Canadian Megatron, and about the old weird thing about it is that he's affiliated with the Autobots according to his tech spec. :confused: 

11. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    :crazy:  did Canadian megs have 1 too many of those fine Canadian beers :drunk  and for get whivh side he was on?

12. Lunar Archivist

No idea. You tell me. See attached photos. :eek: 

(Fun aside, the real explanation for this is that the first run Canadian Megatron boxes had a printing error, likely due to the layouts of the tech specs having to be slightly altered in order to include French translations of all the relevant text. Looks like someone wasn't paying attention.)

I don't want to hijack Optimus Fan's thread, but since he has a bilingual vintage instruction manual, now he can see what bilingual vintage packaging looks like (or at least a freak variant thereof). :) 

Attached Files:

13. jametron

jametron Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE! Taste Kittens…

News Credits:
    WOW, regardless of the manual confusion, that is ONE SWEET HAUL for only $100! Way to go.