G1 Marvel Read-Through

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Quixote_Prime, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    All that is new is old!

In an effort to get ready for #81 next year, some members and I thought it good to do a kind of joint read-through of the Marvel US run.

EDIT: I see this thread as a way to talk in general about the US/UK Marvel run. What do you like, dislike, loathe, or love?

Think of it as an unofficial book-club. Except sharing baked goods might be tough to do. :) 

I don't really intend to do one issue at a time but let's just start with #1!

SO: Issue #1

Where it all began. I'm a bit shaky on the "which came first" question on Sunbow vs. Marvel G1 but for me this was my first introduction to the Transformers.

The Awesome: OP's introduction -- awesome pencil job Springer!

Megatron's canon destroying Cybertronian cities!

But most of all, I dig the shadow-outline of all the Autobots lined up in front of the Ark's computer screen, "absorbing" information.

Springer stuck with the toy versions of G1 Ratchet/IH for a while.

The Daffy: The heavy-handed self-reference of the characters.

Soundwave! What color are you anyway?

Self-introduction. Macchio and Uncle Bob have to give us snippets of character for each of the Transformers. This is awesome.

Small or Big Question: How well does this all stand up? Probably a big question for #81.

Take my headers as suggested way to comment on #1.

2. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Heh, I'm way ahead of you at 72. It's been an amazing read and has made a total Marvel convert out of me. Enjoy :) 

3. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've done this as well, but come on - the Marvel continuity is inherently stunted without the UK material inserted into the various proper chronological placings.

The whole TF MARVEL SAGA is my favourite TF continuity. Nothing else compares.

4. FatMick Prime

FatMick Prime Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!

News Credits:
    Agreed! I'm on a re-read too, but of the UK comics. Finished #106 last night (equivalent to US #24). The saga is not complete without the UK material.

5. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    I've re-read the UK comics a couple of times now.

Still hoping someone would make some kind of a definitive read-order guide, because they've shoved some of the stories all over the place from 1987 onwards while some of the stuff just flat-out fits nowhere.

For example, the roots of Target: 2006 go all the way back to the early UK stories which flagrantly ignore the then-current US continuity, with the whole Guardian mess and all.

6. Magnus' Mate

News Credits:
    To coin a phrase, "whatchoo talkin' about, Willis??"

Um... Guardian mess? What mess?

And how does T:2006 go back to the early UK stories? If you mean "Man of Iron", "Enemy Within" and "Raiders of the Last Ark" (the first three UK stories, said to take place within US #1-4 though not easily fitting) - then you're just wrong.

All the UK stories from #29 (which kicks off the 4-parter featuring the Dinobots' run-in with Guardian - is this what you mean?) through to about #205 fit very nicely indeed in their respective "chronological gaps".

Sorry, but I always feel the need to defend the UK stories when people criticise, especially when it's on what seems to be an incorrect matter!

Guardian has nothing to do with T: 2006.

Also, the early-ish UK stories are absolutely fantastic at how they fit into the US stuff, actually making it all the better. For example, the US stories simply drop the Dinobots after they appear in US #8. No explanation, nothing, until US #19. However, the UK stories cleverly explain all this - where they are (Swoop seemingly dies and the rest go off in a huff, eventually succumbing to corrosion of the brain or whatever-it-is that leads into "Dinobot Hunt") and how they come back.

I heartily recommend everyone give the "ultimate" saga a read-through. The upcoming Classics volumes - both US and UK - should be the be-all and end-all as to reading order. James Roberts' will no doubt give a good summation of where all the UK stuff fits.

Otherwise, I'll come back when I have more time and write one! :) 

7. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They should release an ultimate UK release that releases ALL the comics in order. So it alternates between US & UK stories. So it has both stories in it. No switching between books.

8. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I was contemplating re-reading the entire series again since I got The Best of Megatron that had TF#24 reprinted in it. The only problem is that I don't have any of the Matrix Quest issues.

9. Magnus' Mate

News Credits:
    I think part of the problem here is that the US issues that were reprinted in the UK book were occasionally EDITED/AMENDED to better "fit" the UK chronology, and I'm not sure IDW have access to those amended versions, or if they would choose to publish them in any case.

For example -

US #18 "The Bridge To Nowhere" (reprinted in UK #68-69) had a couple lines of dialogue changed to reflect the fact that Megatron and Shockwave formed an uneasy alliance a few issues ago in "Second Generation Part 3" (UK #65).

US #25 "Gone But Not Forgotten" (reprinted in UK #107-108) had any reference to GI Joe and the Cobra alliance removed (that mini-series - thank goodness - is not a part of the UK continuity)

US #41 "Totalled" (reprinted in UK #173-174) had the names of the injured Deceps being retrieved from the Ark changed to reflect the fact that Starscream, Skywarp, Frenzy and Thundercracker had all been seen since being trashed by Omega Supreme.

A few Skids' appearances (after he was shifted into limbo in the UK stories) were removed from US issues - the one that springs to mind is "Funeral For A Friend", where he is watching (or not, in the UK version!) Ratchet trying to fix Prime.

So, though I would absolutely love a "definitive" collection including everything in the most appropriate order... it could get complicated.

What we're getting now from IDW is the next best thing. The UK collections are including some material NEVER reprinted e.g. lots of the annual text stories (and just to confuse folks even more, a lot of those are not part of "official" UK continuity) for example. And even examples of some letters pages as well!

10. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

They weren't published in any sensible order were they? "Raiders of the Last Ark" was published AFTER Shockwave blew up the Autobots at the end of issue #4 so I'm like "guhhhh"?

I hate non-chronological comics. :|

11. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On issue #206 today...

12. Magnus' Mate

News Credits:
    True, they weren't published in strict chronological order, but lots of series have out-of-sequence/non-linear storytelling.

And although kids at the time were a bit "waahh? what's happened here?", we did soon get a "Robot Wars" update explaining that the three stories previously mentioned all took place PRIOR to Shockwave's arrival.

Now exactly WHERE...that's the fun part! :thumbs2: 

13. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    I love readin UK Marvel no. 8 (Autobot's Last Stand) as it was the first TF comic.

Also love UK Marvel no. 108 Megs taking on Predaking, or Predamouse as the case is in the comic!!!! ha ha

14. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'm currently reading the IDW US releases and I'm no doubt going to get the UK version as well. I didn't realize there was so much trouble in combining the two books ...

15. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Apart from a few 'Er' moments I can't say I ever really had much trouble when reading the UK comics as a kid. I think it's become more hassle after the fact as people try to shove things where they personally think they should go. I'd just go with the stories as they ran in the UK comic and annuals and leave it at that.

16. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

There was a law at the time that prohibited cartoons to be made about toys. Hasbro got around this by commisioning a comic book to be made about the toys and then airing a cartoon that they claimed was based on the comic book.

So:
    1) Toys
    2) Comics
    3) Cartoon

I think you'll enjoy the series. I started with #3 and made it to the Car Wash of Doom when they first came out. There's some great stories in there (even if the whole Grimlock in charge thing kind of dragged.)

17. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    I've read through the US Marvel series many many times since they first came out. They are my childhood g1 baseline fiction even more than the toon, excepting perhaps TFTM.

I'm just offering a chance for others to comment on the Marvel run and spark interest.

Another thing that I find interesting is the discussion of the Matrix (as Creation Matrix) in the single-digit issues, when Shockwave has OP's head and is building the Constructicons.

I'm really interested in hearing your thoughts and critical remarks and loves of the comics!

18. Driftx3

Driftx3 lord of all things robot

News Credits:
    Marvel USA and UK Transformers is epic. And I mean Epic, as in: has a long interesting story full of character development. There is so much substance in this story, as well as awesome writing (though I could seriously do without the various pre-Matrix quest micromaster/pretender lameness).

To this day the definitive Transformers story and continuity for me is and always will be the Marvel TF's. Oh and some of the Dreamwave (but that's only because they are pretty much sequels to some of my favorite stories).

19. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    More random notes on early issues:

#5: OP informing Buster that he is the 'bots last hope. Along with Ratchet. For me, this is one of the best uses of the measly humans in all of TF fiction. Ratchet + Buster = awesome.

#6: Shock vs Megs. No sitting in Cybertron playing babysitter for Shocky. This is awesome stuff.

#7: Warrior School. I don't know about any of you but this issue is the center of the early Marvel years. Ratchet is brilliant and Megs is just evil. Nothing beats the scene a the end where Megs gloats over a frustrated Ratchet.

#8: Dinobots enter. I'm glad that the Dinobots are not an unstoppable force in this one. Megatron easily defeats them at the end. Ratchet is the one to triumph.

#9: Circuit Breaker. I'd like to hear more people weigh in on this character. She went from being a 'cutely' drawn character in #4 and now she's matured and looks like she's taken modelling lessons from the X-books. I myself would die for a Marvel Universe figure of her. Do it Hasbro!

20. Magnus' Mate

News Credits:
    Actually, that's a bit incorrect - the FCC law you refer to was actually lifted BEFORE TF was made. He-Man And the Masters of the Universe was the first franchise to benefit from this repeal, in 1983. TF, GI Joe, T-Cats and many others jumped on the bandwagon soon after!