G1 marvel comics tbp

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by grunge, Feb 22, 2012.

1. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    Is there a trade paper back of the marvel g1 comics? If so, if more than one, whats best edition to get?

2. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    The Marvel series won't fit in a single TPB, it's over 80 issues long (about 6 or 7 volumes). However, to answer your question, IDW just started putting one out a few months ago, should be able to currently find it on amazon. They're up to 2 volumes so far, and this one has the Circuit Breaker issues in it (the previous ones didn't because Marvel owned the rights to her, but I guess they've been leased or something). The art is also somewhat cleaned up in this newer one. They've also started a Marvel UK tpb, which includes some issues that have never been reprinted and a boatload of factoids about the history of the brand. Great stuff. The UK one only has one volume so far, the next one will be out next month I think

3. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

i love marvel tf 's abc index comics

4. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Huh? I've got the full US run in TPBs, and they include Circuit Breaker stories such as 'Dis-Integrated Circuits', 'Heavy Traffic' 'Decepticon Graffiti' even (*shudder*) 'Monstercon from Mars'. The only issues I know are missing are 'Man of Iron' (reprint of UK story, see below) and 'Big Broadcast of 2006' (which nobody really misses!).

The UK collection (including 'Man of Iron') with bonus content is great and I highly recommend that too.

5. Abrogate

News Credits:
    Yours are probably the Titan TPBs, not the IDW ones. The IDW ones just had a text summary of what happened in the CB issues (until volume 5). The newer IDW ones have got permission though

edit - and not just the CB issues, but the one with Spiderman too. That's in the new one

6. OptimusTimelord

Yes that's correct, they're Titan. I didn't realise they'd been out again as IDWs (having got them all I'd no need to look out for them I guess :tongue: ). So they cut out the whole story if CB was in it? That's harsh. And how about 'Big Broadcast' did they include that?

7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    The current IDW TPBs are pretty good looking at a very good price. On amazon, the first 3 volumes fluctuate in price from around $12-$16. The prices seem to go up and down slightly almost daily.

http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Classics-TP-Bob-Budiansky/dp/1600109357/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=IMMYG7PH0Q4WH&colid=4S1J6J1PXXFH

http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-...=UTF8&coliid=I3YU82J14JUKQ&colid=4S1J6J1PXXFH

Amazon.com: Transformers Classics Volume 3 (9781613771631): Bob Budiansky, Steve Parkhouse, Don Perlin, John Ridgway, Mike Collins, Jose Delbo: Books

The pros of this set are the great price (if you order online) for the number of issues you get, and the series is recolored to fix some of the many, many, many, many coloring mistakes of the original series. The books are also printed on a nice quality paper that has a matte finish, WITHOUT being cheap newsprint. Take a note, DC.

The major con of this version for me, though (besides the fact that I kind of like the original colors with the mistakes for nostalgia's sake), is that in the recoloring process, the actual linework of the art has been damaged. I guess it's not noticeable to some people because I haven't seen it mentioned before... But comparing these new TPBs against the original issues or against the Titan TPBs, it is EXTREMELY noticeable to me. The black inked lines have been thinned out here and there, lost some of their integrity, and so some of the finer detail in the art has been lost.

And I understand why it is so. The amount of man hours it would take to remove the color in each individual panel carefully enough not to affect the linework would make the books ridiculously cost prohibitive. So it's a trade-off. And for the most part, I think it's a fair one. You're still getting all the stories, and they're still perfectly readable. And it's a great price.

8. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Titan ones are cheaper and easier to track down. The IDW ones are cheaper cover-price wise, but as somebody who had to track them all down, I would go with the Titan ones

9. Abrogate

News Credits:
    The Big Broadcast and Man of Iron were both in Volume 3 of the first IDW print, so they'll presumably be in the next one too. There was one issue where CB only appeared in the last panel on the last page, so they edited the dialogue to make it sound like she was someone else so that they wouldn't have to scrap the whole issue, but every other issue that she had a major appearance in, they weren't allowed to print. The new versions don't have this issue

IDW has had (and probably will continue to have) issues keeping things in print for more than a few months, but as I said above, they just recently came out with new versions that are better than the first editions, so they aren't currently hard to track down, we just have to wait for them all to be released.

10. OptimusTimelord

Hmmm, thanks for the info. I might have to pick up a Vol 3 for the missing issue and to check out the differences/improvements in colour. Any extra content at all?

11. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, there is some extra content (not extensive like the UK Classics). Introductions, some background notes on particular issues etc.

It's nothing amazing but really, neither were the Titan "extras".

I had all the Titan books but am slowly selling them off to replace with the new, definitive IDW versions. The idea of having all 80 of the run (yes, I know "Man of Iron" and "Big Broadcast" - which Titan missed - weren't essential to the story, but the only reason they omitted them was because Simon Furman was getting all hoity toity about what should and shouldn't be in there) is appealing, plus IDW will reprint the TF Movie Adaptation (which Titan never did) and there are rumours there'll also include the GI Crossover and the original Universe profile series this time round.

Basically, these new releases have an opportunity to be "definitive", so I'm in!

12. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    oh wow. glad i asked! so what type of experiance will i / should i expect from the read?

13. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    I've personally been picking up the IDW TPBs. They're pretty good. The UK ones have some really interesting extras in 'em.

14. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just started reading the first volume collection from idw. As already mentioned, they're definitive. Those previously omitted issues with Spider-man and Circuit Breaker were the main selling point for me

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  15. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It's different. Don't expect it to be just like the cartoon or the current comics, though it shares some elements from both. It starts out surprisingly somber and morose, even with an appearance by spider-man, and is much more willing to show the consequences of the Great War on both humans AND cybertronians. It's not always fantastic, and there's a bunch of issues that are cheesy, but when it hits it's stride, or runs with a good idea, it's golden. And above all else, it brings depth and heart to a lot of characters in a way that you don't often see, and a way that will endear them to you.

16. Demerge

Demerge Dimension-Ripper

I just picked up the first UK classics, and the two US classics. Ive never read either of them before. I know the UK had a much larger run.. But is their some stories crossed over or rather, reprinted in either? As in, how many duplicate stories will i likely go through buying up all the collections?

17. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    A lot of it will be, try to see what's inside before you buy. The IDW UK reprints are (IIRC) mostly UK-exclusive stuff so they dont sell the same thing twice.

The short answer is the UK series was printed every week, whereas the US series was printed monthly. So in a lot of cases, US stories were split across two issues, and the other was something UK exclusive. I think there was a lot of extra stories and material that was added to flesh things out besides the main story, and there were plenty of UK-only stories, especially at the end. There were also a bunch of Annuals with material that never saw print in the US.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  18. Demerge

Demerge Dimension-Ripper

I try and make sure i know what I'm buying.. But this is the one area where I'm completely lost.. Like, Target 2005, I KNOW Thats the introduction of the Wreckers, but from what I've read, thats a UK only story? And are the Annuals being printed with the UK TBP's?

19. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    The only overlap between the US and UK TPBs should be "Man of Iron" as that's the only UK story to get run in the US comic. I don't believe there will be any other stories that will appear in both sets. And yes, the annuals are in the UK set.

20. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I wished I'd waited to get these now. I have the editions with the omitted issues, and I had to go through my singles to keep those. ARGH.