G1: Loose Ends

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ultra Lagmus, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Ultra Lagmus

Ultra Lagmus Well-Known Member

Hello all. I've looked around the internet for whart years G1 figures were out beyond their initial release year and how many were in each case assortment. I've found good information on most figures, though there are some gaps.

Some mysteries:
    * Were the 1985 regular Autobots re-issued in 1986?
    * Were the Dinobots also sold in 1986? It seems likely, but I haven't found specific mention of it. If so, it was probably Dinobot Assortment II since Asst. I had no Swoop. Any confirmation Constructicons were also sold in 1986?
    * Perceptor, Blaster were reissued for 1986. Were Shockwave, Omega Supreme, Jetfire, the Deluxe Autobots (Roadbuster, Whirl) re-issued in 1986 as well?
    * Were the 1986 Triple Changers indeed only sold for 1 year (1986) or were they re-issued in 1987?
    * Was Skids intended to be released in 1984 but delayed to 1985? (see below)
    * Were the Jumpstarters (1985 ) & Battlechargers (1986) only available 1 year? It kind of looks that way. The Duocons (1987) look like they weren't available in 1988.
    * Why was Bruticus not sold as a giftset? Did Decepticon combiner sets not sell as well as Autobot combiner sets? They were each only available for 1 year while their combiner teams were available for 2 years.

Some interesting tidbits:
    * The 1984 Autobots (the regular sized ones, not the mini-vehicles) came 1 per case except for Mirage, who was 2 per case.
    * The 1985 regular sized Autobots came 2 per case except for Skids, who was 1 per case.
    * In the Dinobot assortments, there ended up being more Sludges between the two than any other Dinobots.
    * Soundwave was sold through 1986. The only other 1984 regular figure available that long was Starscream, who came 1 per case with the 1986 Decepticon jets (needed to make the case add up to 12).
    * Ravage & Laserbeak were available to 1986, Frenzy was available in 1986 & 1987 paired up with Ratbat. Rumble (red) was the only 84 cassette available for just 2 years.
    * The original Hot Rod, Blurr, Kup were not re-issued. They were replaced with the Targetmaster versions. So, unlike most 1986 & 87 figures, each version was only available for 1 year, not 2 as was the norm then.
    * Think Broadside is the worst triple changer? Well, in the 1986 Triple Changers case, he came 3 per case (Octane was also 3); the other Autobot triple changers were 2 per case.
    * Sharkticon came in the Predacons Case Assortment (a matter of the case fitting 12 toys and 5 not fitting evenly into 12).

2. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    1 - They definitely were in some European markets. As you probably know the 1986 US product leaflet didn't show any of them, although the 1986 Toy Fair catalog did list some of them...... This is where my memory gets a bit shaky, but i think it listed Hot Rod shipped with Tracks, Hoist, and Inferno?

It also listed straight cases of Blurr and Kup? Which seems strange, but right now that's my recollection. Even if it did, that may not have been actual case assortments.

Actually...come to think of it, some of the 1984 Autobot cars were re-released in European markets in 1986. Bluestreak was available for three years straight. Some European mainland markets also had 1984 cars re-released n 1986 since they didn't get a European release til 1985

Conversely Prowl had no European release til 1985, but Hasbro UK at least dropped it at the end of that year.

2 - Must have been...they were in the product leaflet, and were prominent in the cartoon,comic. I can only conclude the same for the Constructicons.

3 - It's apparent Shockwave didn't make the cut for 1986...not in the product leaflet, but can't answer that conclusively.

5 - I think it's quite widely held that Skids was a late 1984 release, as opposed to early release 1985 toys.

6 - Duocons definitely shipped in 1988.

7 - throwing in the fact that Japan and Italy are the only locations where either Bruticus or Abominus were available in one box, and that the Seacon giftset is considered rare, (plus it lacked Nautilator) one might conclude that they saw Decepticon gestalts as being a bit more difficult to sell.

3. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    * Were the 1985 regular Autobots re-issued in 1986?

Definitely in the UK.

* Were the Dinobots also sold in 1986? It seems likely, but I haven't found specific mention of it. If so, it was probably Dinobot Assortment II since Asst. I had no Swoop. Any confirmation Constructicons were also sold in 1986?

The 4 Dinobots (note, we never got Swoop) were available in 1986 in the UK.

* Perceptor, Blaster were reissued for 1986. Were Shockwave, Omega Supreme, Jetfire, the Deluxe Autobots (Roadbuster, Whirl) re-issued in 1986 as well?

No they were not.

* Were the 1986 Triple Changers indeed only sold for 1 year (1986) or were they re-issued in 1987?

They were not reissued in 1987 in the US.

* Was Skids intended to be released in 1984 but delayed to 1985? (see below)

Yes.

* Were the Jumpstarters (1985 ) & Battlechargers (1986) only available 1 year? It kind of looks that way. The Duocons (1987) look like they weren't available in 1988.

This is true.

* Why was Bruticus not sold as a giftset? Did Decepticon combiner sets not sell as well as Autobot combiner sets? They were each only available for 1 year while their combiner teams were available for 2 years.

Not sure, though he was in Japan.

4. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

In the U.S. Swoop was available in Oct. '86 because that's when I got him.

To my knowledge, after Christmas '85 there were no '85 cars to be found anywhere.

5. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    TfWiki indicates that Jetfire and Omega weren't re-released for 1986, the product leaflet says otherwise?

[​IMG]

6. Ultra Lagmus

Ultra Lagmus Well-Known Member

Hmm...

That's interesting. Those case assortments have different figures than what I've read/found online. From what I've read...
    Case Asst. 5767 had 4 Blurr, 4 Kup, 4 Hot Rod
    Case Asst. 5768 (I) had 2 Crosshairs, 2 Sureshot, 2 Pointblank, 2 Hot Rod, 2 Blurr, 2 Kup
    Case Asst. 5768 (II) had 4 Crosshairs, 4 Sureshot, 4 Pointblank

Could perhaps there have been 2 versions of these case assortments, the first having some of the metallic versions of 1986 figures and some 1985 figures sold into mid 1986 or so (as opposed to the full year), and then when the plastic figures replaced them, phased out the 1985 figures. There were 2 assortments of Dinobots because Swoop wasn't ready yet and 5768 had its figures shuffled for 1988.

And I asked because TF Wiki et al tend to be incomplete when it comes to figures re-issued in additional years, at least in terms of the US/CA.

7. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

many were still on shelfs. and Hasbro backstock was shipped
    yes and they were featured in the 86 toy catalog

all but Shockwave were said to be re-released according to the catalog.

Some sources state that Omega and Jetfire werent, but I recall seeing them on shelfs next to Metroplex, could have been backstock
    they were still on shelf, backstock, but werent part of the catalog
    I've heard that but can not confirm it.
    yes as far as I know, but again, they were on shelfs longer do to backstock issues
    All I can guess is that the combiner teams sole better separately.

Its easier to convince a parent to buy them 1 at a time then in as big set for a higher amount.

you must have lived in a small town