Customs: G1 Laserbeck's Neck Making a mold

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by gaetz, Feb 21, 2011.

1. gaetz

gaetz Gaetz

Long story short. I'm not sure how to make a proper mold as the part is so small plus the two connectors have holes in them as well.

Ideas I have are both for a two part mold.

1: I find a peice of wire that can fit through both holes. That way when I make the mold, its clean. But Will require using the wire everytime I make a casting. A little extra care will have to be given to make sure the wire doesn't get bent when I take it out of the mold.

2: I use a very small drill bit to make the two holes. But then I'm worries about them being lined up. Additionally, since the peice is so small i'm also worried that i'd rip the peice apart; or with murphy's law send the drill into my hand.

I've added two low res pics of the item, from two differnt angles. Just in case.

If anyone has any advice or an opinion it would be greatly apperciated.

Attached Files:

2. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

How many of these you planning on making? if just one or two, just post-drill. the wire thing can work great, but it takes some time to get the mold set up just right.

So i'd mold it and post drill it, but before you mold it put in some clay(like scuply or Klean clay) into the hole. when it comes time to drill it, use a smaller drill bit (in a pin vise, a power drill is kinda heavy and that part is small, or just twist the drill bit between your fingers) on both sides (make adjustments where needed with an x-acto) then step up to the final size.

or at least, that's how I do it/have done. Hope that helps.

Randy!

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    For a part that small and simple I'd just scratchbuild it (assuming you only need one or two).

4. gaetz

gaetz Gaetz

Well i'm actually doing up about 20 for broken laserbecks and buzzsaws. Plus I'm currently teach myself how to do rivets. So i'm hoping to try and do a few dozen mods to the buzzsaw mold.

5. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd drill post. I've had to do something similar with hands. You still want a divot for the hole to line it up so just make the mold as normal or put a small, non flush, plug in it.

6. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Yes, thank you, forgot to mention adding a divot to help your drill bit to keep it's center.