G1 Jetfire

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Hello there. Gotta question about Jetfire. In the toy line, he's called Jetfire, in the TV show, he's called Skyfire. His origins seem to come from the Macross series but in that series I can not find his exact duplicate. The Macross series has a lot of variants of Jetfire/Skyfire. My favorite one so far is this black/gold one here. 1/48 VF-1S 25th Anniversary Although I'm not sure if it's same size as the Jetfire we've come to love.
    My question is, what is his real name, and what is his real origin? The other Transformers came from the Diaclone series. Did Jetfire come from Macross and does anybody know his Macross version? I've seen some very close with similar paint schemes, but different heads.
    I'm asking about the Macross version because they seem to be more available to find MIB than Jetfire.
    How does this 1/48 scale version compare to the Transformers G1 Jetfire in size?

I've searched for the information at Wikipedia but it didn't answer all my questions. In my search for the Macross toy, I see they come in a lot of different scales. What scale is the original Jetfire in? I'd like to find one of same size, even if it's slightly different variant.

2. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Dude, why don't you just make a general question thread then fire away!

Oh, and here: Jetfire
    Hopefully this will answer more of your questions about Jetfire... this page or elsewhere on tfwiki

3. chugway

chugway ming mong ping pong

Jetfire was indeed a repurposed bandai VF-1 super valkyrie (1/55, if i remember correctly. which i usually don't.) some versions of him even had the UN Spacey decals on too. legal vagaries meant he couldn't be in the cartoon or released in Japan because he was already on sale in Asia as a macross toy, and somebody else had the rights to show macross cartoons in the US. or something like that.

Jetfire himself was a combination of Roy Fokker and Hikaru's mecha from Macross - roy's has the right head but is yellow/black rather than the red/white one which has a weird cyclops eye thing. Plus roy is a cool dude and hikaru was a wimpy man-bitch. the super valkyrie toys are updated, refined fairly regularly and - more importantly - manufactured by a number of different companies. If you want a nice display valk that won't break the bank go for a 1/60 Yamoto imo rather than trying to hunt down a chunky old vintage bandai.

you could them pay one of the radicons to paint it if you really wanted.

4. redoptics

redoptics Banned

basically takara got pissed off with hasbro for having a bandai figures re-packaged as transformers. and they wouldn't let hasbro have jetfire in g1 cartoon, thats why the re-designed him slightly and gave him a new name also phased him out of the show. this is from what i remember reading..

5. Tigertrack

6. Tigertrack

Well according to your link there it is 1/55 in scale. :D  Thank you!

7. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Takara got the Molds used for Jetfire from another Toy Company that was later bought by Bandai Takara's big competitor in Japan and shit promptly hit the fan.

basically after the dust settled Takara could only sell Jetfire outside Japan and could not use the name or likeness in the cartoon which is why the toy looks nothing like the on screen character. Skyfire was used as a replacement name for the character. This also why a reissue of Jetfire is virtually impossible despite the fact it would sell like hotcakes. Bandai and Takara still compete and Bandai won't let Takara anywhere near that mold.

8. Tigertrack

It's a shame we won't get a reissued Jetfire. Look's like I might have to settle for a Macross variant. The larger 1/48 scale version would be pretty cool to have. With it's detailing and possibility, it would be like having a Masterpiece Jetfire. I also love the black/gold version as well. Might get both in the future.
    Thank you all for your answers.
    Is "Jetfire" the only character that has crossed over from other series?

9. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    nope G1 Roadbuster and Whirl are basedon molds for toys from the Dorvack anime molds again owned byt Bandai and the G1 deluxe Insecticons ( not the ones in the cartoon) are also Bandai owned Molds. There maybe a few more but thats the majority of them. Also Omega Supreme was originally a toy called Super Change Robo Mechabot-1 but Takara now owns the molds so he can and has been reissued, Sky Lynx is also based on a Toybox toy but again I believe Takara now owns the mold as they did reissue it. and that is all i know about.

10. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Er, source? I'm not aware Takara ever had anything to do with the mold. Hasbro licensed the Jetfire mold from Bandai who had bought Takatoku Toys, the company that originally designed it.

11. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Yeah, I believe Hasbro licensed it directly from Bandai to use outside of Japan. That's why Japan never sold it as a TF, and why Japan's battle scene on the back of boxes for season 2 characters replaces Jetfire with Devastator.

12. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    I know but I read it that Takara originally Licensed it from Takatoku and used it Pre Transformers later Takatoku was bought by Bandai. and Hasbro working with Takara could only sell it in the US.

Im getting my Info from the guide by Mark Bellomo. Of course this is my Interpretation of what he wrote, here is the exact quote:
    " Jetfire's character also forms the beginnings of many stories from die hard Transformers fans because he was known as "Skyfire" on the Sunbow cartoon, and looked nearly like Jetfire but the resemblance was not exact. It Appears that in the early 1980s, the Japanese toy maker Takara re used molds based on some designs of Takatoku toys, specifically the design that would be the Autobot Jetfire, that of the VF-1S Super Valkyrie fighter from the Macross/Robotech series. Unfortunately, Bandai, Takara's Direct competitor In Japan then bought Takatoku Toys, and as they were in direct competition with Takara/Hasbro they told Hasbro they could only sell the Jetfire character ( based on their newly owned designs) in the US but not abroad in Japan."

13. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Absolutely... tfwiki is always helpful, and just general great reading on ALL things Transformers.

14. Tigertrack

I wish there was as way we can make a partition for G1's we want to see re-issued. Jetfire would be top of the list.

15. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Well, Mark Bellomo is wrong. It doesn't even make sense. Why would Takara, with many lines of transforming robots, bother to license in someone else's? My guess is the dude means Hasbro, not Takara. I've never heard anywhere that Takara licensed the Valkyrie mold.
    Never gonna happen. Bandai own the mold, Takara make Transformers, Bandai and Takara are competitors.

16. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Hell yeah he would. If you haven't already, get the RoTF Leader Jetfire. It's not the G1, but it's a very respectable Jetfire.

17. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    only possible way would be for Takara to buy Bandai and I seriously doubt Takara has the needed cash to pull that off, nor do I think they have good reason to even consider a hostile or other takeover of Bandai.

okay Sledge. any way i got the book mainly for the pics to aid in identifying figures. Bottom line is short of Takara buying Bandai or the entire Macross/Robotech line from them, there will be no reissue. odd to my eyes at least the classics Jetfire is as close to screen accurate as G1 Jetfire

18. Tigertrack

So if one can not get Jetfire, what would be the second best from the Macross line up? I do not want a Jetfire from any other line of TF's.
    By the way, I'm aware of the battle between Takara and Bandai and that's why I said, "I WISH there was a way................."

19. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    well honestly your likely to pay nearly as much for a Macross Valkyrie look alike for Jetfire as you would for a loose complete G1 Jetfire with a bit of yellowing as the current Macross stuff is quite expensive. as to which one is likely to be a match for Jetfire i got no clue

20. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    get a loose 99% complete (minus gun clip) jetfire, easy to find under $100