Customs: G1 Jetfire Restoring Project

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Showster, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Showster

Showster Well-Known Member

Before I begin mashing the toy with stuff, does anyone know any decent tricks to aid restoring discoloured plastic. I have the infamous white -> yellow plastic problem, I heard an old wives tale that whitening tooth paste helps?

Cheers

Greg

2. Jimmyjimjim

Jimmyjimjim Well-Known Member

I'd never heard that before. I know that alot of times, white plastic is yellowed by UV rays, so I would imagine that some sort of bleaching agent would probably work. I'd be thinking just an even coat of white spray paint would do the trick, but your solution sounds more interesting.

Let me know if the tooth whitening stuff works well, I got a bunch of old stormtroopers that I would love to see white again.

3. Jimmyjimjim

Jimmyjimjim Well-Known Member

I'd never heard that before. I know that alot of times, white plastic is yellowed by UV rays, so I would imagine that some sort of bleaching agent would probably work. I'd be thinking just an even coat of white spray paint would do the trick, but your solution sounds more interesting.

Let me know if the tooth whitening stuff works well, I got a bunch of old stormtroopers that I would love to see white again.

4. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

If its jsut smoke damage then Whitening toothpaste will work a little since it scrubs off the top layers of the smoke residue. However even then it won't be completely white. If its mostly UV damage and plastic aging then you can't change it and your only option would be paint.

5. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

If its jsut smoke damage then Whitening toothpaste will work a little since it scrubs off the top layers of the smoke residue. However even then it won't be completely white. If its mostly UV damage and plastic aging then you can't change it and your only option would be paint.

6. rodimusminor

rodimusminor Well-Known Member

Anything that effectively whitens the plastic will also likely take off the factory paint.

7. rodimusminor

rodimusminor Well-Known Member

Anything that effectively whitens the plastic will also likely take off the factory paint.

8. SocrManiac

SocrManiac TFW2005 Supporter

The yellowing of polystyrene is not a reversible process. It is a chemical change in the material. Your options are to remove the yellowed plastic to get down to unyellowed base material or to paint it.

9. SocrManiac

SocrManiac TFW2005 Supporter

The yellowing of polystyrene is not a reversible process. It is a chemical change in the material. Your options are to remove the yellowed plastic to get down to unyellowed base material or to paint it.

10. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Acetone works, but your then compriming the integrity of the plastic

11. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Acetone works, but your then compriming the integrity of the plastic

12. Showster

cheers chaps any idea on what paint I should use, I have some games workshop type paints from the long ago. But I think it is likely to wear off and give a rough finish.

thanks for the help and time everyone

Greg

13. Showster

cheers chaps any idea on what paint I should use, I have some games workshop type paints from the long ago. But I think it is likely to wear off and give a rough finish.

thanks for the help and time everyone

Greg

14. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

I would get a spray on paint designed specifically for use on plastics. Tamiya makes these, as well as Krylon (fusion). These paints once cured will give you the best adhesion. It helps too to sand down any potnetial "rub" points before painting.

15. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

I would get a spray on paint designed specifically for use on plastics. Tamiya makes these, as well as Krylon (fusion). These paints once cured will give you the best adhesion. It helps too to sand down any potnetial "rub" points before painting.