G1 jet/skyfire...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by helix, Aug 14, 2006.

1. helix

helix Well-Known Member

whats the deal with this toy?

i have heard people say it was made by marcoss or something and hence it cant be reissued now.

i have seen some other macross models and they look very similar. what is the back story to all this and if macross is a seperate company, like it seems, why did they let hasbro use the mold in the 80's??

2. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Basically, it is a Macross toy made by Bandai. Back in the 80's... when Hasbro was looking at the sudden jump in popularity of the toyline, and before the cartoon came out, they decided to license a bunch of figures from other toylines out side of the two they had licensed from Takara to use as TFs (IE: Jetfire, Whirl, Roadbuster, the Deluxe Insecticons ect.). Because these figures were owned by other companies in Japan (Bandai particularly) Takara couldn't get the rights to release them as TFs there.

As for the reason why we got the whimpy little scientist in the show and not the sleek and ninjalike Jetfire from the comercial... well, basicaly, as I know the info... they were planning on putting him into the show, but when they (Hasbro) licensed the figure for use from Bandai they didn't think about needing to license the animation model as well. Than Harmony Gold decides that they're going to release Robotech and pretty much threatens a lawsuit against Hasbro/Marvel and whatever animation studio made G1 if they used the Macross animation model for Jetfire. So, Hasbro had to put a stop on the character showing up in season one and the only animation of the Jetfire character to be found is in his commercial... which I hear was eventually pulled off air for similar reasons. And than, to at least get something out of the toy, the redesigned the animation model and renamed him Skyfire and put him in S1 instead. Sucks huh?

However, Hasbro pretty much put the kabosh on Harmony Gold and Mattel releasing a transforming veritech/valkyrie for the original Robotech toyline as Hasbro owned the rights stateside to release the toy. Which is why the original Robotech line has the TFing Hoover Tank, but not the Veritech/Valkyrie. Of course, Hasbro apparently never renewed their license and Harmony Gold picked it up recently to make figures for their Robotech and Macross lines. So, yes, a Hasbro reissue is out of the question. As is a Takara reissue due to the fact that I doubt Bandai would even consider licensing Takara to do Jetfire considering they're in competition with each other in Japan.

3. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I cannot remember this. Does anyone have this lying around?

4. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I also do not remember this but would love to see it.

5. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

6. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, it is unfortunate that certain G1 toys will never be reissued. Others that fall into this category are Shockwave, Omega Supreme and Sky Lynx.

7. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Man, it's painful to watch kids actually play with a minty G1 Jetfire......

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Whats more painful is buck-tooth boy goin' "Robots in disguise".

9. TrooperMaximus

TrooperMaximus TFW2K5 Sailor

I didn't know that about Sky Lynx. What line was he from?

The whole G1 Jetfire story makes him and those like him an especially coveted prize among collectors. I'll never sell my Jetfire or Shockwave.

10. zephon

zephon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I also remember seeing in ebay certain "1st wave" Jetfire TF's sporting the inverted-kite-in-a-red-circle Macross logo on their wings....

11. Octane

Octane Soul Crusher

He is a stand alone toy by either Toy Co. or Toybox. I can never remember.

Funny, I got my MIB Jetfire for $ 12, and sold it for $ 125.

12. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Toybox did Omega Supreme and Skylynx, whereas Shockwave was made by ToyCo.

Whirl, Roadbuster and the Deluxe Insecticons were made by a company called Takatoku which was later bought by Bandai.

13. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    no reissue that kinda sucks, I just bought a complete G1 Jetfire so i'm good

14. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Isn't Takatoku the company that actually made the mold for Jetfire, since theres what 3 different versions of him out there

15. Mad Dawg

Mad Dawg Autobot Brewmeister

From http://www.toyboxdx.com/data/takatoku2/macross1.html

So it would seem Takatoku designed the toys (and certainly the boxes they came in all said "Takatoku" all over them), but they were molded and manufactured by Matsushiro. Of course Bandai ended up with it in the end.

The first Jetfire toys (the "oops" variant with the IDF emblem on the wing) all say Matsushiro under the breastplate. I THINK they fixed this issue and there are some Matsushiro ones without the emblem, but all the "fixed" ones I've ever seen say Bandai under the breastplate. I own one complete Matsushiro (with IDF emblem) and one complete Bandai (without IDF emblem).

16. helix

helix Well-Known Member

what happened to ToyCo then? or are they just not playing ball and stopping the use of the molds??

17. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ToyCo went under, but I would say that a Shock/Laserwave reissue is at least plausible because Takara did eventually release this figure at one point. I believe it's the only figure that was licensed by Hasbro that made it into the Takara line.

18. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    That would be correct. Shockwave was the only one of the non-Takara molds to be released in Japan as part of G1. So there's still a good chance he might get a reissue, assuming Hasbro and/or Takara/Tomy are willing to dig up his mold.

...pardon the pun.:eek: 

19. DeeJay

DeeJay Bluestreak Brony

News Credits:
    Apologies. I'm only posting right now because I have to reboot and I want the thread subscribed. I'll edit the post with links to pics of my PAINTED-SYMBOL Takatoku Jetfire.

Neener neener neener.

20. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh man, that would be so sweet! Although I have a G1 Shockwave, I'm would definately buy a Shockwave reissue but I won't hold my breath though...